Amazon 8 Day Prime (Rant)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratbats, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

Is anyone out there getting 2 Day Shipping with Amazon Prime? I live in the boonies, and the ONLY reason that I am interested in Prime is the free "2 day" shipping it offers. I am not interested in their God awful movie selection, nor downloading their books or music.

Now, I can count on one hand the times we have received 2 Day shipping. It was usually 3 days. Then 4/5 days. Now it is 8 days. Mind you, if I order anything from Sweetwater on a monday, it's here wednesday. If I order on a friday, it's here monday. Free shipping. I don't pay any membership fees at all. The only snafu is that Sweetwater has quite the "on backorder" load whereas Amazon has, evidently, an endless supply of everything.

I have come to my senses that, in my situation, Prime is a waste of money. Anything ordered on Amazon over $25 I believe qualifies for free shipping anyway. So after a round with customer service this morning (I had to ask FIVE times whether 2 Day Shipping is still an option... "Uh... Yes...?" was the answer, finally) I asked if I cancel my Prime now-- not even at the half year mark-- how much would I be reimbursed. The answer: zero. "You've used up your Prime benefits. You won't get any money returned." This, as can be imagined, went over quite well. The only unfortunate thing is that come cancellation time I can't Have A Big Scene Complete With Grand Gestures And Whatnot... It's the internet...

StratoMutt, abnormaltoy and s5tuart like this.
  2. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

All I can say is that sometimes the big scene with grand gestures can be quite overrated. I tried to have one last night as a joke while standing on the deck. I was apparently too close to the rail and when I swung my hands I hit my phone on it. My phone sent flying half way across the yard and nearly missed hitting the top of the fence to bounce into the neighbors yard in the middle of the night. It also nearly missed my wife's head as she was standing by the fence where it landed.

I know it has nothing to do with the Amazon thing but as I said the grand gesture thing can be fun but don't let it come back to bite you. LOL

3. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Amazon’s customer focus isn’t what it used to be.

4. Stratbats

No, it's not. But just the thought of saving $119 next year has made me much happier. I could use a new wah pedal... :)

fishermike, fos1, StratoMutt and 2 others like this.
  5. Nate D

Heck yeah. I’ve thought about canceling prime but all my kids movies are on there. Since I have no cable that works on my end.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. Stratbats

Yeah, it'd be different if I took advantage of all the other Prime benefits.

abnormaltoy and Nate D like this.
  7. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

I haven’t used Amazon in 3 years, I refuse to feed the machine.

8. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Haven't seen 2 day arrivals for a year. Prime will get you free shipping though, even if it does take a week.

StratUp and abnormaltoy like this.
  9. Nate D

If it were just for the shipping I’d have dropped amazon a long time ago… and I used to work there. :)

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

Maybe rocket boy will crash and the new online version of the old sears catalog will be scattered to the four winds. Once the subsidies are over he doesn't have a future anyways just like that pyramid schemer musk and his junk car and non existent solar panel roof that is so highly touted but never available for purchase. I do see his space junk crapping up my night time sky, so there is that I guess.

11. madmtnmotors

madmtnmotors Just Blundering My Way Through

I have also noticed that the "free shipping" is starting to be offset by increasingly higher prices. I end up having to do comparison shopping and am finding more and more better deals from other sites even after paying for shipping.

I've already dropped Netflix, Amazon Prime may not be far behind.

sgarnett and abnormaltoy like this.
  12. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I think it depends where you live. Two days might be an average. We spend 3-4 months every winter down near Wilmington, NC. There packages take three days on average - almost everything comes UPS unless it's coming from a small seller who uses USPS. But at home in the Philly area, the rest of the year, anything listed as two days will be here in two days. And a LOT of stuff will come overnight or even same day. LOTS of stuff will come same day if you order in the AM and either order $35 worth of stuff or pay an extra $3 for shipping. Usually I don't need anything that fast, but every now and then I have and it's well worth $3 to me to get it same day or first thing the next morning. Most packages come via Amazon's own drivers, only occasionally does something come UPS or USPS. Big metro areas get amazing service, small cities notably less, and I can only imaging living in the boonies it wouldn't even be close to as quick...

-Ray

13. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I get next day delivery 95% of the time. :)

14. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Pre-plague I received some orders SAME DAY and others next day and 2nd day. The only times I have have extended shipping times were when I inadvertently ordered something without noticing it was directly from the far east. My Firestick TV works great and my Kindle as well.

Sooooooo, you should cancel your Prime and stop using Amazon if it does not work for you. I will keep mine, thanks very much.

15. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I get next or even two hour delivery most every time. Of course there is a giant amazon warehouse ten miles from my house.

16. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Completely agree. I'm also in the Philly area, the 'burbs not the city, but everything you said about their shipping/service is spot on with my experience.

Stonetone and abnormaltoy like this.
  17. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

I had the free trial but dropped it. In a way it was wasted on me since I always bought more than $25 at a time and over $25 you get free shipping anyway. I didn't watch Prime Internet TV and I didn't care to download music so the membership was way more than it was worth for me. Loved it while I had it though. UPS was at my house every day I had it, kinda like Christmas every day in May.

abnormaltoy and Stratbats like this.
  18. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

For me it's totally worth it. I give them 10 bucks a month and get next or same day delivery on most things, I enjoy their original content on Amazon Prime Video, and during the height of the pandemic used them twice a week to deliver same day groceries. What does irritate me to some degree is the huge influx of cheap crap they are always pushing. Not entirely Amazon's fault since MAP pricing pretty much applies to everything these days, but I do miss the days of finding great deals on popular brands. Now the great prices are typically on cheap MiC things with brands I've never heard of. Kinda like the Harbor Freight of everything else lol.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  19. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

We use Amazon a lot, and buy with the Prime Card, which we pay off in full every month. We get 5% back on most purchases, so Prime is free for us and then some. We love it.

Namelyguitar and abnormaltoy like this.
  20. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

Like others, I get same day on some items. I also like the locker thing, the one I use is a half mile from me. I've lived in hamlets smaller than the local Amazon center.

Nadnitram likes this.