American Deluxe Serial Numbers

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Retroe, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Retroe

Retroe Strat-Talker

From what I've read the serial numbers of a 2000 - 2009 American Deluxe Stratocaster should all begin with "DZ" but was there ever an occasion when they omitted the letter "D" ?

According to this article I found On Reverb, American Standards from that era began with a Z but it states that if the serial number begins with DZ then it signifies a Deluxe model.

https://reverb.com/news/how-to-date-a-fender#Post-1976

However, when I input the serial number (which begins with a Z) into the Fender serial number register it states the following:

AMERICAN DELUXE STRATOCASTER® (1998-2004)

[​IMG]

2. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

The first year (2000) did not have the "D" in front of the "Z" on the Deluxe....after that, they all had the "D"....

3. Retroe

Retroe Strat-Talker

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  4. coolidge

coolidge Strat-Talk Member

5. Retroe

Retroe Strat-Talker

Thanks guys, I had tried to research this myself and perhaps a bit too hasty to post about it but I reckon it doesn't hurt to have another set of eyes looking around to confirm.

I see theses "Z" models from the year 2000 don't have the contoured heal that latter models have. So would I be correct in assuming the early 2000 models also didn't have a compound radius fretboard?

6. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Okay - let's clear up a few things here:
    1. American Deluxes came out in 1998 - so the original serial numbers were "DN8xxxxxx", followed by "DN9xxxxxx" in 1999.
    2. Briefly in 2000 some wound up having just a "Z0xxxxxx" serial number; others from 2000 have the "DZ0xxxxxx" numbers - and I'm not sure how many runs wound up with the "Z0xxxxxx" numbers.
    3. The contoured neck heel does not start until the second half of 2002 on American Deluxes - and it was kind of a "phase in" as Fender brought out a couple of new colors in the summer of 2002 - and those had the contoured heel from day 1 - but it took a while to get runs of other colors with the contoured neck heel
    4. Compound radius does not start until the 2010 model (which was the 3rd generation of American Deluxes); prior to those models they were a straight 9.5" radius

Bowmap likes this.
  7. Retroe

Retroe Strat-Talker

That's excellent info, thank you for clearing things up.

The only thing I find strange about the "Z0xxxxxx" serial numbers is they don't have "MADE IN USA"

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  8. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Because American Standards/American Series (July 2000 was the transition to "American Series") had the "Made in USA" as part of the front decal; I imagine whomever put these "Z0xxxxxx" decals on was used to doing American Standards/American Series and didn't realize they needed to add the "Made in USA" decals.