American Original 50s Or 60s Strat And Why?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Sep 16, 2021.

American Original 50s or 60s Strat?

1. 50s

28 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. 60s

44 vote(s)
    61.1%
  1. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-O-Master

6AE30EB0-11E8-484D-9BDD-987052B4ED4F.jpeg 9136645E-0BCB-4937-904C-59C672B003BF.jpeg Talkin’about the sunburst ones.

The 50s has the spaghetti logo, 1-ply 8-screw white Pickguard, 2-tone sunburst, maple fretboard, black dots, soft-V profile beck, and Pure Vintage ‘59 pickups.

The 60s has the transition logo, 3–ply 11-screw mint green pickguard, 3-tone sunburst, rosewood fretboard, pearloid dots, thick C profile neck, and Pure Vintage ‘65 pickups.

Both are alder, have a 9.5-inch radius fretboard, vintage tall frets, 5-way selector switch, and 6–screw tremolo, nitrocellulose lacquer.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  2. YohanTheMan

YohanTheMan Strat-Talker

I used to have preference for 50s type Strats, but lately i'm preferring the 60s. That said my experience with The American Original series is somewhat limited. Depending on how much experience you have with guitars and their specs, pickups, necks etc. I would try them out(if possible). I like both a thick c, and a soft v, but that might not be the case with you. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them really. The pure vintage pickups are great. I have a set of 59's and I really like them. The thing that bothers me, is that the necks are really pale, and that's of course especially noticeable on the 50's Strat. That's purely an aesthetic thing. Do you think the 3 tone burst is better looking than the 2 tone burst. I've considered both guitars before, in different colours. The 60s in shell pink look gorgeous. And I stumbled upon a second hand Mary Kaye version of the 50s. Almost pulled the trigger on than one.

I voted for the 60s, because I think it looks better, and because I'm digging those type of guitars lately.

mattier303 and dscottyg like this.
  3. TempestStrat

TempestStrat Strat-Talk Member

I just wish the shell pink finish was avaliable on the 50s model.

Mustafa Pants, dscottyg and cranky like this.
  4. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

I have a problem with American Originals: vintage frets. If you go 9.5" radius I see no reason to still keep vintage frets. That could be a deal breaker for me. As for the original question, I would go for 50s just because I'm in my maple phase.

dscottyg likes this.
  5. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Senior Stratmaster

The AO series has vintage tall frets. They're much closer in size to 6105s than typical vintage frets.

6. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I'd choose the 60s. I satisfied my 50's craving by buying a Classic Player 50s Strat for 1/3 the price of the AO's. I didn't want the CP60s for several reasons, and always wished I had bought a MIA 62 re-issue when prices were reasonable.

mattier303, dscottyg and jrbirdman like this.
  7. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-O-Master

I love the idea of a 50s. The original Stratocaster, Buddy Holly, etc. I thought I always liked the 3 tone burst with a little red, but the 2 tone Has grown on me, kind of like a tobacco burst. And, I agree the neck should be tinted a bit to look better. I also like the darker 60s pick guard versus the stark white one on the 50s. I think I like the tone of the 60s better for some things, but the 50s for other things. Aesthetically the maple Fretboard looks better to me than the rosewood with a sunburst.

ravindave_3600 and YohanTheMan like this.
  8. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

50’s bc of the Soft V neck carve. Both PV 59 and 65 pickup sets are fantastic sounding. So you can’t go wrong with either

dscottyg, Tguitarfloyd and RL21980 like this.
  9. YohanTheMan

YohanTheMan Strat-Talker

Yes, I agree. I go back and forth on the 2 tone vs 3 tone, but if you get a good one, it doesn't really matter. I definitely agree on the maple board. If you get the right burst with a nice tinted maple neck, it's just about as classic as it gets. Like a blonde Tele with a maple neck, it's just the start of the instruments. It screams the 50s.

dscottyg and jtoomuch like this.
  10. RL21980

RL21980 Senior Stratmaster

Agreed.

I've got a AO 50's tele in butterscotch. Great tele in every way. My only complaint is the neck is stark white. Wish it'd come tinted. A mild aesthetic issue in my book but still would look a lot cooler with a vintage tint on it. Tone wise it kills. Thats what counts above all else.

dscottyg likes this.
  11. GarrettM

GarrettM Strat-Talk Member

Both.

50s for sunburst and 60s for shell pink.

Then you're sorted.

dscottyg and Tguitarfloyd like this.
  12. YohanTheMan

YohanTheMan Strat-Talker

Yeah, the sound and the feel is the most important thing. But I do wonder if there's any logic to it when Fender decides to go with a very pale neck. I get it with modern guitars, that's mainly what I know it from. Like S-type shred guitars, not vintage style Fender's. I've heard that if you leave it out in the sun, it'll get tanned like a human, but a lot slower. You can always get it tinted yourself. It will probably bring the value down if you're thinking about selling in the future. Even though I would consider it an upgrade if I was in the market for a second hand. But in the end it's not a big deal. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

RL21980 likes this.
  13. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Comes down to the neck for me. I like the V neck 50s style more. But I’m sure both are stellar. I like the looks of both. I think I like the 60s look better.

dscottyg and RL21980 like this.
  14. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

I would go with the 50's version. But now that i've played both, I think you would get a quality instrumentt either way. Since I don't know the OP, I can't tell which way he might go, and I recommend he sits down with both guitars before making a choice.

dscottyg and Tguitarfloyd like this.
  15. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

Has to be the 60s for me. Love thick C necks and don't get along with Vs of any variety.

dscottyg likes this.
  16. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

mmmh interesting. in a couple of spec sheets it just read "vintage frets".

17. Retroe

Retroe Strat-Talker

why didn't you want a CP60s?

18. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-O-Master

Ya, or Inca Silver on the 60s.

19. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Preferred the 9.5" radius soft V neck and the 57/62 pickups of the CP50. The CP50 also has different pickup switching...you loose the neck/middle but gain the neck/bridge. I have two other Strats that have the normal switching, so I wanted something different with the CP50.

dscottyg likes this.
  20. RL21980

RL21980 Senior Stratmaster

Inca silver is sweet. Underrated.

Stratafied likes this.