American Original thoughts

gilmourstrat

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 16, 2012
Europe
The AO 60's comes with .010's... I usually play .09-.42... Do you reckon any adjustment would be needed? The guitar is so well tuned, balanced and intonated but I kinda like the lesser tension from the 09-.42, I'm more used to it and makes my playing effortlessly. Anyone did the same and did you need a setup afterwards?

Many thanks in advance.

Anyone did the same change that can give me some pointers? :) Many thanks!

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
There’s not too big of a difference between 9s and 10s, and many people prefer 9s. I’d say: Put on your favourite strings, let them settle in and see if it needs any adjustment. Maybe a tweak of the saddles, a turn at the springs or a very light turn of the truss rod will be enough, maybe you won’t even have to do anything. I’d try it out first :)

Mike3066

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 9, 2022
London

I changed from 10s to 9s on my 50s AO and no truss rod adjustment needed - I changed saddle height but I was doing that anyway as I had adjusted the trem float (given the switch from 10s). Clearly the nut is cut for 10s, so the 9s do sit low in the slots, but I personally like that and it doesn’t impede playing at all.

I’ve had 9s on for c6months now and so far no changes to the neck relief. Happy to post pictures of the nut slots if you’re concerned about it, but all good here on the 9s

wblynch

Strat-Talker
Nov 25, 2020
Mission Viejo, Calif.
Trem bar question… I have a 2021 AO 50’s Strat and the trem bar that came with it won’t go in. It fits my MIM standard just fine. Is the AO threaded differently? Do I have the wrong bar?

I’m new to Stratocaster and this is my first US Fender.

Thanks

gilmourstrat

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 16, 2012
Europe
Trem bar question… I have a 2021 AO 50’s Strat and the trem bar that came with it won’t go in. It fits my MIM standard just fine. Is the AO threaded differently? Do I have the wrong bar?

Thanks

When I tried the AO 60's at the store I did fit the supplied trem arm and it fitted perfectly. Did you bought your guitar new?

wblynch

Strat-Talker
Nov 25, 2020
Mission Viejo, Calif.
When I tried the AO 60's at the store I did fit the supplied trem arm and it fitted perfectly. Did you bought your guitar new?
Thanks.

I bought it new from a small shop. It was on the wall and this was in the case. I got an amazing deal. I’ll buy another bar on my own if I need to.

I guess my question is, if the AO 50s uses a different bar than the MIM. Because this one fits an MIM.

madhermit

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 8, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Thanks.

I bought it new from a small shop. It was on the wall and this was in the case. I got an amazing deal. I’ll buy another bar on my own if I need to.

I guess my question is, if the AO 50s uses a different bar than the MIM. Because this one fits an MIM.
I am almost 100% positive they are different. I would check with the dealer. Likely just got mixed up.

JDug

Strat-O-Master
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey USA
Well, I’ll let you know firsthand, mine is in transit, delivery expected on Tuesday, 15 March!

I opted for the 60’s AO in 3 tone sunburst. I prefer the rosewood board and have a thing for pre CBS, L serial numbered Strats, so there ya go! Closest I’ll ever get to one!

wblynch

Strat-Talker
Nov 25, 2020
Mission Viejo, Calif.
Well, I’ll let you know firsthand, mine is in transit, delivery expected on Tuesday, 15 March!

I opted for the 60’s AO in 3 tone sunburst. I prefer the rosewood board and have a thing for pre CBS, L serial numbered Strats, so there ya go! Closest I’ll ever get to one!
Congratulations. Make sure you give it a whole day inside your home before opening the box and case. Especially with this week’s weather. The wait is killer but you gotta tough it out.

and take a good long whif when you first open it. These things smell amazing. …not Martin acoustic amazing, but pretty darn nice.

JDug

Strat-O-Master
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey USA
Congratulations. Make sure you give it a whole day inside your home before opening the box and case. Especially with this week’s weather. The wait is killer but you gotta tough it out.

and take a good long whif when you first open it. These things smell amazing. …not Martin acoustic amazing, but pretty darn nice.
Ha! Well, today’s the day! Out for delivery from UPS.
It’s 50 deg F today here in NJ, supposed to get to 62. Its been in NJ since Saturday according to UPS. My house is set to 70, so I’ll let it sit a few hours before opening, but shouldn’t be too bad.

Can’t wait! And I’ll be sure to give ‘er a good sniff! lol

gilmourstrat

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 16, 2012
Europe
Ha! Well, today’s the day! Out for delivery from UPS.
It’s 50 deg F today here in NJ, supposed to get to 62. Its been in NJ since Saturday according to UPS. My house is set to 70, so I’ll let it sit a few hours before opening, but shouldn’t be too bad.

Can’t wait! And I’ll be sure to give ‘er a good sniff! lol

yeah it smells great! Love mine:

1647354022482.png

JDug

Strat-O-Master
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey USA
Well, I received my AO ‘60s Strat on Tuesday…

Wow, is it heavy! I’m not crazy about heavier Strats and I did not expect that! Noticeably heaver than my Am Pro I just sold to get this. I had an ‘04 American Series that was a feather compared to this guitar.

I weighed it on a digital bathroom scale, ( I know, not terribly accurate but thats all I have)… 8.5 lbs / 3,85 Kg !

Its a nice guitar, I guess I have to “bond” with it more, action is kind of high and it comes with 10’s ( I like 9’s) I know, two things I can change, but…not love at first sight though.

I had my heart set on this model for awhile, but I’m almost thinking of returning it, I’m not sure.

If I keep it, I might change out the aged plastics, too.

Anybody else’s AO tip the scales?

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, I received my AO ‘60s Strat on Tuesday…

Wow, is it heavy! I’m not crazy about heavier Strats and I did not expect that! Noticeably heaver than my Am Pro I just sold to get this. I had an ‘04 American Series that was a feather compared to this guitar.

I weighed it on a digital bathroom scale, ( I know, not terribly accurate but thats all I have)… 8.5 lbs / 3,85 Kg !

Its a nice guitar, I guess I have to “bond” with it more, action is kind of high and it comes with 10’s ( I like 9’s) I know, two things I can change, but…not love at first sight though.

I had my heart set on this model for awhile, but I’m almost thinking of returning it, I’m not sure.

If I keep it, I might change out the aged plastics, too.

Anybody else’s AO tip the scales?

Yeah it’s hard to buy these days without holding it in your hands. There’s a Inca silver AO 50’s strat hanging on the wall at one of my local shops. It’s extremely heavy. Probably why it’s still there. I don’t remember any of them being super light when they first showed up a few years ago.

JDug

Strat-O-Master
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey USA
Yeah it’s hard to buy these days without holding it in your hands. There’s a Inca silver AO 50’s strat hanging on the wall at one of my local shops. It’s extremely heavy. Probably why it’s still there. I don’t remember any of them being super light when they first showed up a few years ago.
I know, crazy. Mine is not a “boat anchor”, but heavy nonetheless.
What makes it weigh more, than say an Am Pro or Standard?

What makes the AO weigh more? Perhaps the HSH vs SSS routing?

6 pt bridge/block more dense also?

Who knows, I’ll keep it, just a matter of getting used to/ good setup.

The neck is amazing, nice vintage tall frets, and the thicker C shape. Pickups sound great too.

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I know, crazy. Mine is not a “boat anchor”, but heavy nonetheless.
What makes it weigh more, than say an Am Pro or Standard?

What makes the AO weigh more? Perhaps the HSH vs SSS routing?

6 pt bridge/block more dense also?

Who knows, I’ll keep it, just a matter of getting used to/ good setup.

The neck is amazing, nice vintage tall frets, and the thicker C shape. Pickups sound great too.

What makes any guitar heavier than another is the weight of the body obviously. Sometimes you luck out and get a light on. At least now more and more places are listing the weight in the specs. Anything over 8lbs for me tends to feel heavy.

Fenderbaum

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 11, 2020
Bergen, Norway

Thanks
American Strats have imperial measurements. MIM have metric.
Your AO came with a wrong trem bar.