American Performer or American Professional Stratocaster?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Jun 30, 2020 at 9:57 PM.

Which do you prefer?

1. American Performer.

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. American Professional.

24 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

I'm 100% going to buy an American Strat now, and I have narrowed it down to the:

1) American Performer.
    2) American Professional.

I will use it for mainly rhythm guitar parts (i will do lead eventually) for my original songs, and they are:
    1) Pop.
    2) R&B/Soul/Funk.
    3) New Country.
    4) Contemporary Jazz.
    5) Rock (but vary rarely).

I am going with Sweetwater, and regardless of which one I buy, I will have it Plek'd, and please note that the price difference is not prohibitive as far as these two guitars.

So, which one do you prefer, and why?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Neither, I’d buy a Silver Sky but if you gotta have Fender I’d buy an EJ Signature :D

Bighump and Blackmore Fan like this.
  3. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster

Love American made strats but don’t care for the pickups in either guitar. The Yosemite and the V Mods don’t do much for me. Make no mistake, I’d LOVE to have either one and then change the pickups to something I like. I wish Fender would make a change to the pups on the Pro to something more classic / vintage.

4. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

Hi Stratoskater!

Okay, let's try it this way for YOU :)

1) Between the two, and ONLY those two, I'll pay for it, and give it to you for free.
    2) You can't sell it for 5 years.

JP68 and EC Strat-boy like this.
  5. TIMB

TIMB Strat-O-Master

I voted Performer but I like really big frets

CB91710 likes this.
  6. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

Hi EC Strat-boy!

So which one if you can put in pickups you like?

Jerry

7. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster

I voted professional but very tough for a stock guitar to cover all those genres if you’re looking for authentic tones. Something like a 57/62 set of pups I think would cover the most ground.

8. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Performer = No bi-flex truss rod, no micro-tilt neck, gig bag instead of HSC, 6-screw vintage style trem. Large "CBS" headstock.

Functionally... Performer has jumbo frets.

I have an American Special, pre-2019 version of the Performer, and feel no desire for a Pro, however, "bang for the buck", the minor cost savings of the performer is lost in the reduced features.
    Just the HSC makes up $200 of the difference.

EC Strat-boy likes this.
  9. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

Hi TIMB!

Do most replies on Polls usually have "but................." as part of the answer? :) :) :)

Thanks for the vote!
    Jerry

TIMB likes this.
  10. Stratoskater

Sorry but still neither. I do not like the Yosemite pickups in the performer or large headstock Strats and I hated the V Mod pickups in the Pro and returned the one I bought in 2017 after 4 days for an EJ rosewood model.

Have you played these two models?

11. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

Hi Rich!

So if you were buying today, and you didn't already own the Special, you'd buy the Professional for the stated reasons?

Thanks,
    Jerry

12. TIMB

TIMB Strat-O-Master

13. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

Okay, then let's try it THIS way :)

Which one IF you can put in whatever pickups you like"

Damn guys....................................................................................................

TOUGH FORUM! :)

jbylake and Stratoskater like this.
  14. Brucegomb

Brucegomb Strat-Talk Member

V-Mods are better than the Yosemite pickups in terms of sound and the ability to thrive with wiring mods; but the neck on the American Performers, especially Maple, is quite good and plays great. You can't go wrong either way, get the color you want but I might lean toward the Professional. I have had and played both (pretty much any Strat I've played, owned or still own if it was created after 2000).

There are some stronger arguments for the Ultra and if it was my ONLY Strat I'd opt to get it hands down (especially with an Ebony neck which is impossible to get on the lower models).

V-Mods really like wiring mods such as series arrangements.

Yosemite stock are OK, not bad, that guitar has a treble bleed and the greasebucket circuit (which is alright). It's a bright guitar because of all that but it needs good pedals to really take flight IMHO. It loves a very mild compressor/driver.

I have a Green Satin Performer and have V-Mods in at least one other strat and often sell those loaded pickguards (they are popular with mods).

15. Stratoskater

Sorry man but still neither. I don’t like large headstocks so that would be an issue with the performer but I also don’t like Strats with two point modern bridges so that would be an issue for me with the pro.

I’ve owned 26+ fender Strats in the past 9 years ranging from Classic Vibe, MIM, MIA STD, MIA Pro, 3 EJ sigs, one American original 60’s and two Custom shops. I have since sold all my Fender guitars. The only Fender Strat I would ever buy again is the EJ but since getting my PRS Silver Sky and Custom 22 over the past 7 months I don’t think I’ll buy another Fender.

Bighump likes this.
  16. TIMB

TIMB Strat-O-Master

still Performer ! I like big frets :D

Stratoskater likes this.
  17. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I would probably lean more toward the pro, but I really do like the neck on my Special, so if I didn't already have one, and I played both in the store, it really would be a tough call.
    But I also have a soft spot for the big headstock, my first "real" electric was a '78 Strat.

Brutus likes this.
  18. chicago slim

chicago slim Strat-O-Master

I voted Performer, because I own 2 Specials and have a Performer loaded pickguard with Yosemite pickups, on a Player Strat. I love the Grease Bucket Circuitry for playing live shows. They sound overdriven with the volume control at 10. They are meant to be dialed in at 6 or 7, then you can roll up for solo's. Cut the guitar's volume and they clean up nicely. I got most of my work, playing for recording artist's, because I would stay off of their vocals.

Brutus and TIMB like this.
  19. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

Hi chicago slim!

Is that because of the tone/eq, or because of the arrangement that didn't want a guitar to compete with the vocals?

20. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-Talker

I really like the neck on the Performer as well as the headstock. I like that you can get the neck pickup in positions 1 & 2 which isn't available on the pro. I just don't like how limited the colors are especially since surf green and lake placid blue are both satin only. Granted you can find a gloss finish of lake placid blue online but still, I wished there were more colors =[

Brutus likes this.