Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

American Pro -50 years from now!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Kenshin88, May 17, 2017.

1. Kenshin88

Kenshin88 Strat-Talker

Jul 22, 2011
    USA
    Played one again today at GC. It sounded and played just fine to my ears, great guitar as far as I'm concerned. However, it's still missing some mojo that is quite different from a vintage 65 I've played awhile ago, as well as my 82 JV Strat which also has more magic to it without a doubt. I'm wondering, will this American pro sound just as good in 50 years? Sortof a common question maybe but I've been thinking about it all day.

fender68 and circles like this.
  2. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    I have a '78 Strat that totally has that woody old-Strat thing going on... and it didn't when I got it 30 years ago. Wood ages.

RevBillyG, fender68 and Kenshin88 like this.
  3. BigStratocaster

BigStratocaster Strat-Talk Member

May 17, 2017
    Corona, CA
    It's because they are 4-5 pieces of wood in the bodies. To me there is nothing Pro about them but the price.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    It may gain some mojo in 50 years but who can wait that long? I had the Pro for a week and returned it for an EJ Sig.

6. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Maybe on some solid colors, but more than likely they are 2-3 pieces. That's always has been the case even in the golden era. The myth of 1 piece bodies as a standard has gotten really old.

7. Yogi

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Ill also add not every guitar is magical to every player. Mojo is all in your head. If you perceive it to be, then it exists.

8. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Where do you get this? They are 2-3 pieces. Just like the old "magic ones". Every American Standard I have ever seen is 2 or 3 pieces. I have never seen one that is 4 or 5 pieces. I just played a new Pro Tele recently, it was a 3 piece ash body. I have seen many pre CBS Strats that were 2 piece, and 3 piece bodies, I have never seen one that is 1 piece. As @Yogi said, the one piece pre CBS fender is a myth.

9. BigStratocaster

May 17, 2017
    Corona, CA
    All myths aside, I agree that they are better as 2-3 pieces.

10. BigStratocaster

May 17, 2017
    Corona, CA
    I have seen painted Pros that were 4-5. Trans are different. But, the MX versions are that too. Original were 2-3 and best is 2-3 imho too. I never mentioned myth though lol just what I had seen

fender68 likes this.
  11. BigStratocaster

May 17, 2017
    Corona, CA
    I'm new to this forum, but it does seem people get on the offensive. I meant no harm. I simply just work in the business and live in the mecca of guitars. I have purchased and played numerous guitars, and have only my direct contact, etc to form an opinion of any instrument. Again, please accept my apologies if I offended anyone. Don't believe the myths. All companies have their secrets. Just play :)

12. Kenshin88

Kenshin88 Strat-Talker

Jul 22, 2011
    USA
    Perhaps, but I don't necessarily believe that to be the absolute truth. There is something to an old fender that so many people find appealing over the new ones. I don't believe so many are just hallucinating. There must be some substance.

13. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England

I think a lot of the perceived "mojo" from old guitars is because they are a tangible link to the past, where, as you hold it, you immediately imagine the times it has lived through.

Especially the '50's and '60's models that were born in such musically auspicious times. They are like lightning conductors for the generations.

That's certainly how I feel it.

T Guitar Floyd, Stratoskater and Yogi like this.
  14. Kenshin88

Kenshin88 Strat-Talker

Jul 22, 2011
    USA
    So you agree that in 50 years the American pro will sound just as good as a vintage Strat? Given that, by then, it will have quite a link to the past itself. :p

15. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Sorry if I seemed offensive, I've just never known any MIA Fenders to be more than 3 pieces. How do you know how many pieces a painted pro would be? I mean, if it's painted, how can you tell? I don't imagine you have bought new pros just to sand the finish off. :D

I'm also not sure at all that even if a Strat body was 5 pieces that it would make any tonal difference.

16. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Remember, one man's mojo is another man's garbage. It's all very subjective. Like I believe that new Fenders (Corona) are just as good as, if not better than the pre CBS models Then again, I have a Squier Classic Vibe Strat that is as good as any Fender I have ever played. (putting on my flame proof suit, and ducking behind the couch :eek:).

17. Yogi

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I used to think like that until I went to Nashville and did some demo work at a trade show. I had access to about 20-30 vintage Fenders all at once. The pre cbs stuff ranges from absolutely outstanding to average at best. The worst fender I've ever played was an early 50s tele they were asking like 25k for at Carter's. A lot of the "mojo" is created by the rarity and self created hype. It's hard not to perceive something as amazing when you've told yourself over and over it just has to be.

Neil.C and Ebidis like this.
  18. Yogi

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Oh I think you read me wrong im not offended or on the offensive at all, just offering another point of view :)

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  19. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    So... you work for a Fender competitor, and you're here to tell us that Fender is making five-piece bodies for the American Pros. Okay.

20. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Oct 23, 2011
    NY
    Wood absolutely ages, it dries out and the sap hardens. Anyone who has put a nail into a 50 year old 2x4 compared to a new one from Home Depot knows it doesn't even seem like the same material.

21. Mech

Mech Strat-Talker

Jul 12, 2009
    ALX
    Not sure if its myth or secret - but that Midnight Blue 90's Strat thing still makes me wonder. Guitar Mecca - makes me think of a possible Disney movie "GUITARS". It would be along the likes of CARS, but with instruments thought no longer useful. Voice casting would be sick! :whistling:

T Guitar Floyd likes this.