Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

American Pro -50 years from now!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Kenshin88, May 17, 2017.

1. BigStratocaster

BigStratocaster Strat-Talk Member

May 17, 2017
    Corona, CA
    I do not work for a competitor, and Fender is the best brand to me.

T Guitar Floyd and carolinaeasy like this.
  2. BigStratocaster

BigStratocaster Strat-Talk Member

May 17, 2017
    Corona, CA
    Aged graining, bad paint jobs, and even sanding were my keys to seeing pieces in many strats of all ages. Wiring and pickups is the major player, but acoustically I pick the best and toss the rest. I was disappointed when I sanded my California Series Fiesta Red body. The paint was so thick and tons of layers. No wonder Fender said the plant caught fire in MX!!! They had to teach them to do it right. I will be glad when there are less imports/exports of junk guitars. Save some trees!

3. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Well, gotta say.. that's because it isn't. 50 years ago species like Colombian Pine were still being used (ah the aroma) for everyday building/carpentry work. Alas, those days are long gone, and the stuff sold as building/carpentry timber today is, well.. leaves a lot to be desired. Most of it is fast grown/kiln dried poplar that could almost double as balsa in some cases.. But heh! ;)

Neil.C likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    I love a used guitar. Stories were told, atmospheres were absorbed, fundamental principles of the universe were understood with it. Those ones in the store are just shiny and have no soul. Plus $$$ vs $$$$. I'm a workin' man.

6. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Strat-Talker

Nov 8, 2014
    UK
    If anyone can pick up a painted guitar, play it, and tell how many pieces of wood the body is made of, I will give them everything I own and all of my money. Because it's a load of rubbish. (I mean the idea that 5 pieces of wood sounds worse than 3 etc. is rubbish, not my stuff! Although... :()

Kenshin88 and Yogi like this.
  7. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England

No, I don't think so. The pickups and most of the hardware are different anyway.

Re Fenders, with the pre CBS stuff you can imagine the guitar being made in one of those tin factories by a small group of people whilst Leo was pottering around in his office and rock and roll was being invented.

I don't think anything made in the modern gigantic CNC plants by faceless people will have anything like the same romance for folks of the future.

Kenshin88 likes this.
  8. EndowedButGentle

EndowedButGentle Strat-Talk Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Evanston
    This. The whole mojo thing is a crock. As if the guitar has some kind of ethereal quality imbued by the luthier due to the alignment of the planets on the 3rd week of the month of the water bearer. Either it performs as it should, it's a stand out example with leveled frets and perfectly aligned neck etc, or it's a poor example that sneaked through QC. The idea that guitars have indefinable qualities - due to age or any other number of vaguely defined variables - that exist in congruence with the fickle dogma of the guitar-internet collective is fallacious. In my opinion at least.

Yogi, Elvie and Matt33 like this.
  9. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I am ignorant of the midnight blue thing, what is the dish?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  10. Mech

Mech Strat-Talker

Jul 12, 2009
    ALX
    Hit a few different sites. Few chaps were speaking about these particular Strats. They kept reiterating "those in the know". I'm not in the know, but I have questions based on experience. Since I can't prove anything with verified facts - And I have one of those models. The gist of the convo was THOSE were unique "If you were in the know".

I only wish that the powers that be, let us know what's REALLY going on with MIM, MIJ, CIJ, etc... Strats with nothing but that 5-digit numeric indicator on the heel of the neck of THOSE strats. Hoping in the not to distant future I find a Tele with those numbers...

abnormaltoy likes this.