American Pro Strat Question

Ranger88

New Member!
Oct 30, 2022
US
Hello! This is my first post on this website. I have been looking to purchase a Strat to go with my Tele's. I settled on the American Professional Strat though I'd need to purchase online since pickins are slim around me. The neck is a bit bigger than the American Standard model which is something I want.

Found some great options, but I'm torn between Sonic Grey and 3TBS. The 3TSB is well 3TSB as for Sonic Grey I'm not sure what's an accurate look of the finish. Does anyone here that owns one have a close depiction of Sonic Grey?

Last edited:

crawdaddy

Most Honored Senior Member
Feb 11, 2010
Valley o Sun
I can't help with the color....but I don't think the neck on an AmPro is any different than its predecessor the AmStd.

I just compared 2 of mine and to me they seem identical.

The newer AmProfessional is 9.5" and the frets are narrow tall...

The AmStandard is also 9.5" with medium jumbo frets...

Both models are about 1.7" at the nut....

Best of luck.....I've seen a Sonic Grey and it looks like a nice color...

John C

Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
Imo deep C of the pros feels a little bit bigger than American standards. Almost like a medium.

Agreed; the shape is fuller/has more "shoulder" to it than the Modern C used on American Standards. The Deep C is also a tad bit thicker at the 12th fret so it has more taper to it.

For what it's worth I found the shape as it was done on the original Professionals to be a bit clubbier than what they are doing now with the Pro IIs, but the Pro IIs still do have more shoulder than the old Modern C.

I don't have calipers, but in eyeballing my Pro II Strat vs. my American Performer Tele - which has the Modern C shape - the Tele looks a bit thicker at the first fret but due to the shape having less shoulder feels less clunky than Modern Deep C (as they are calling it on the Pro II) on the Strat.

Axis29

Strat-O-Master
Mar 9, 2007
Beaumont. California
I haven’t even seen that color before. But, I like it.

I do own a 3TSB. But, I’ve always needed a 3TSB Strat hanging about and haven’t had one for a while…. I was jonesing!

The neck on the AmProII Strat is one of the best feeling necks I’ve ever owned. It is not as fat as I usually seek *But always have a thought time finding in an affordable guitar). But, the rounded shoulders and softened edges just feel so nice!

I dunno, but that gray is rather sexy looking.

crawdaddy

Feb 11, 2010
Valley o Sun
Imo deep C of the pros feels a little bit bigger than American standards. Almost like a medium.
I had my wife give me the blind fold test (actually I just closed my eyes) yesterday with an AmStd and an AmPro....I flunked....I couldn't tell which neck belonged to which guitar....:):)

I guess the necks are different, I just couldn't tell...