American Professional Fingerboard Edges

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Reptiboss2003, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Reptiboss2003

Reptiboss2003 Strat-Talk Member

I went to guitar center today for the first time since quarantine started because it’s been closed. I have been wanting to check out the American pro strats as I’ve heard a lot of good things about them so I went in and played one. I remember it felt quite good as I was a bit nervous about the wider nut than the standard 1.650” I’m used to but the 1.685” didn’t seem to be too big a bother. I played a rosewood fingerboard model and I just have a question about it. I can’t remember if the edges were rolled or not and was wondering if anyone out there who owns one could enlighten me. It’s not a huge concerning factor but I’m just curious if it has rolled edges or not, and if so, are they lightly rolled, or what? Anything else about the neck on these regarding feel or quality (specifically rosewood board models) would be greatly appreciated.

-Jack

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

That sort of sums up the importance of rolled edges. :)

nadzab, jofish, CyFan4036 and 10 others like this.
  3. fmunoz

fmunoz Strat-O-Master

the ones I've tried all have had rolled edges, very nice necks and I (unlike many) consider them an upgrade from the American Standard

4. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

Rolled quite a bit and very comfortable

Reptiboss2003 likes this.
  5. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I wish the Am Pros had something different than vintage tall frets

6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player Platinum Supporting Member

I love the rolled necks. I started out as an American Professional Strat doubter (the initial color selection was a turn-off for me as well), but over time, I became a big fan. They have very comfortable necks for me.

The stock colors still bore me, though. :)

7. Scarecrow937

Scarecrow937 Strat-Talker

Yup, all Pro's have rolled edges. My maple fretboard has a lot more roll to it than my rosewoods. Anyone know if that's a one-off, or common in the line?

Reptiboss2003 and nicotele like this.
  8. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Fender first started advertising rolled fingerboard edges on the very first American Deluxes that came out in the spring of 1998.

Then the rolled fingerboard edges were part of the upgrades Fender did when the American Series models replaced the American Standards in mid-2000.

So rolled fingerboard edges have continued on American Deluxes from Generation 1 (1998-2003), Generation 2 (2004-2009) and Generation 3 (2010-2015), and carried forward to the American Elites (2016-2019).

And they continued from the American Series (mid-2000-2007) through the American Standard v2 (2008-2016) to the American Professionals (2016-present).

The American Utlras, which replaced the American Elites in November 2019, are even more rolled than what was previously done to America Deluxes, American Elites, American Series, American Standards, and American Professionals.

9. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

they do have rolled edges and are very comfortable to play. I didn't notice any difference in terms of rolling edges on Am Professional vs Am Std.

As a side note, the fact they have slightly fatter necks than the previous generation American Standard makes me feel it's nicer to play (could be just a placebo thing). Note: I have an American Standard for comparison.

10. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Be sure to try before you buy. The pickups are different as well as the feel of the tall, narrow frets. I had an Am Pro. It was the only guitar I had that I had to re EQ the amp for. No good in the middle of a set if you change guitars. Just FYI.

Reptiboss2003 and Bad Penny like this.
  11. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Strat-Talker

Nevermind.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  12. bsman

bsman Senior Stratmaster

BTW - I have to state for the record that after having played (and owned) many examples of various US teles and strats (from "American Series" through "American Professional") none I've ever played can touch the comfort of the fretboard on my Ron Kirn custom tele. Oh, and also, after 11 years, the fretboard edges on my MIM Std tele are now quite nicely rounded...

13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I recently purchased a couple of these. The edges are rolled and I love the feel of the neck. I've become a big fan as well.

I didn't care much for the stock colors either but I like this finish. Just didn't like the white covers/knobs so the swapped them out for black. Got black locking tuners too, but I'm still torn as to whether they would look better than the chrome. Pics are before and after. 1.jpg AFTER MODS.jpg

Reptiboss2003 and Anacharsis like this.
  14. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

I wish ALL my Fenders had vintage tall frets. I love those. The only better ones are those gigantic Dunlop frets on the Yngwie Malmsteen Strat IMHO.

\m/ :mad: \m/

Reptiboss2003 and Bladesg like this.
  15. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

So if the answer is ‘they’re not rolled’ will you buy one or not? Or, if the answer is ‘they’re rolled a little’, will you buy one or not? What if it’s ‘they’re rolled a lot’, will you..............well, you get my point, it’s whether you like the neck that counts, no matter what has or hasn’t been done to it!

Reptiboss2003 and Triple Jim like this.
  16. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I’m afraid we can’t be friends

Dick Blackmore likes this.
  17. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I like rolled edges, because rolled edges are more better than not rolled edges which are more worse than the more better rolled ones.

Besides, all the cool guys are doing it. :cool:

Reptiboss2003 and Triple Jim like this.
  18. Bad Penny

Bad Penny Strat-Talk Member

Lovely neck on the Pros! Out of the couple of guitars I own, it is by far the most enjoyable neck to play. It sort of inspires you to play and get up the neck, very intuitive

Only noticed that recently with mine. Very annoying! Especially if you're like me and don't like playing with all the controls once you find a nice tone

Reptiboss2003 and 3bolt79 like this.
  19. nicotele

nicotele Strat-Talk Member

Hey, I'm not sure about this, however I just got a rosewood professional strat and I expected the edges to be more rolled. I remember like 2 years ago trying a professional with maple and I think the edges were more rolled.

Also I have an Ibanez Az (roatsed maple freboard) that has really nice rolled edges actually.

So it seems you are right, although I still like the neck of the Professional very much and is very nice to play.

Actually the guy who sell it to me didn't play it at all, lol (he had like over 15 guitars and the pro was on the cheaper side of the ones he had), and I tried an American Deluxe, which the edges were more rolled than the Pro (also had rosewood fretboard).

I was actually wondering, after a lot of playing, does the edges rolled of naturally? To the point that you can say it's noticeable?

Thanks for any input on this!

20. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

It's very obvious they're not on my MIM in comparison to my MIA guitars. Some care, some don't.

I'll probably get them edges rolled at some point.