American Professional getting upgrade

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jfnevada, Jul 30, 2020.

1. jfnevada

jfnevada New Member!

Hi,

New member here. I'm interested in getting an American Professional Stratocaster. A rep at Fender told me they are getting an upgrade at the end of August, but could not give any details. A retail business asked their Fender rep who confirmed this and also said the upgrade would be more than cosmetics and there could be price changes.

I'd like to get one now, but am wondering if anyone has any further information that would help decide now or wait. Realize things always change, change not necessarily improvement, and if you like the model today, that is all that is important. But still, would be nice to know what is coming.

2. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Strat-O-Master

First off, welcome! Secondly, Fender make a bunch of different variants so who knows what they'll be coming up with next.

jfnevada likes this.
  3. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-O-Master

Knowing fender they will go back to calling it the american standard AGAIN.

4. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to the forum!

Based on my experience in previous iterations, I would assume it will be the same quality with "updates", not necessarily "upgrades".
    In 10 years I have followed the lineup, the only time I saw an "upgrade" was in 2012 when they changed the pickups from American Standard to Custom Shops. I think that was a major one.

But who knows, maybe they will come up with something nice. If I were to bet money though, I'd say it's going to be a mild update.

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

Seems like that except for the occasional modern swap, Strats have hardly changed in 60 years. And a lot of things that some people would consider "upgrades," Fender fans would consider atrocities, or just not very good.

I think the most substantial changes in strats since 1954 have been the 2 point trem, and a variety of fret sizes. not exactly a world-changer.

Rambling aside, if a guitar is perfect for you, it won't matter what changes they make in the next iteration. I've never been really fond of the high level USA strats (Am deluxe, Pro, etc.), mostly because of the price, except for AVRIs. But I'm sure they're quite good.

Anacharsis and diogoguitar like this.
  6. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

I've decided it's best to evaluate each guitar on its own merits, not whether someone else thinks it's an upgrade for a previous iteration or a different model. It's a musical instrument. Each has its own personality and you either get along with it or you don't.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  7. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

If you're worried wait a month
    Try both
    They ain't running off the rack

StummerJoe, henderman and nickmsmith like this.
  8. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

That sounds right - I recall an interview with Fender's CEO last fall (when the American Ultras replaced the American Elites) where he said that Fender was now on a 4-year product life cycle. But I haven't heard any specifics, and this is the first confirmation that changes are coming - we've been trying to "read the tea leaves" with clues like color/fingerboard wood combinations keep dropping off the website periodically, etc.

bsman likes this.
  9. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Snap one now before they turn it into something yiu don’t much like and hike the price.

bobalu, LOSTVENTURE, jfnevada and 3 others like this.
  10. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Which would be a good thing

jtoomuch, StummerJoe and amstratnut like this.
  11. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

As long as they don"t call it the Plus.

StummerJoe likes this.
  12. Rocket King

Rocket King Strat-Talker

Wouldn't be surprised if the updates are a price increase o_O

13. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-O-Master

Preach

14. nathdaniel

nathdaniel Strat-Talk Member

They've been disappearing off of Fender's site pretty quick, along with Performer and Deluxe models. Supposedly the Players are getting a handful of new colors too. Nothing new to show as of yet.

15. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Business is business but that seems to always fit into the equation.

16. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

The language is telling. Sounds more like they're going to offer some flimsy change to justify a price increase. A similar situation just happened with the Acoustasonics...offered some new colors and jacked the price up $200.

They're pretty nice now. The only points of contention I've seen here are whether or not you like the V-mods...but the build quality is good, the necks, feel and playability are great IMO, so I don't think they're going to give you anything in exchange for their price hike that you probably couldn't mod yourself for the same cost or less.

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. jfnevada

jfnevada New Member!

Thanks for the welcomes and replies.

I decided to get the American Professional model and picked it up today. The time was a factor.

I had purchased a Player Series a couple of days ago. I wanted something more durable than my Les Paul, which as you may know is susceptible to headstock failures if the guitar falls over. I recently rescued a large dog and was taking extra precautions to keep the guitar safe. So I thought of the Player as something durable, good quality, and something I would not worry about as much.

I decided although the Player is good, I wanted the American Professional. I thought it best to return the Player sooner rather than later. The other disadvantage in waiting, is stores have existing stock and cannot order some versions because the inventory is being depleted prior to the new stock coming. So I saw what I wanted, 3-Color Sunburst with Rosewood Fingerboard.

Still won't let my dog get to it.

Kdawg1966, 3bolt79, Ruscio and 3 others like this.
  18. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster

The 3 tone sunburst Am Pro is a SHARP looking guitar

19. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

I want bigger frets, a rosewood board with a black body & a white pickguard- or a white body that doesn't look like you need sunglasses to admire with a rosewood board... Better colors! Bigger frets!

3bolt79 and Blackmore Fan like this.
  20. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

Here's what I would do, keeping in mind that I'm perfectly happy with my 2019 Pro.
    If you like the current iteration, order it from GC (knowing they have a 30 day return policy), but wait until the middle of August to do so. Then, when the "update" is available, play one and see which you prefer. If you like the original better, keep it. If you like the changes to the new model, return it, get all your money back, and buy the new one.

Lewbypls likes this.