1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

American Professional II Stratocaster??

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jethro1972, Sep 15, 2020.

1. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talk Member

Odysseus likes this.
  2. stylemessiah

stylemessiah Strat-Talker

2 point trem

Not interested

Davey76 and joesatch like this.
  3. Davey76

Davey76 Strat-Talk Member

Na man, you are bang on tbh.
    I’m all about Sonic Blue, Shell Pink and Fiesta red and the staple colours of the iconic instrument that fender have pretty much abandoned. A push pull knobs on a Standard Strat is a disgrace. That now means that there is no longer a standard line of classic fender icons made in America at the usual obtainable price point. It’s now if we want one of the classic models with no push pull knobs and no heel contour, we have to go Vintera or Original series. I’ve spent my last dollars on Fender I’m sad to say. I think they are heading down the 2000+ Gibson path of fixing what’s never been broken so to speak.

J4ME5 likes this.
  4. Davey76

This whole Am Pro 2 vibe wreaks of CBS era Fender. Sad times incoming.

stylemessiah, stratlt and J4ME5 like this.
  5. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-Talker

I mean you could always just take the ability off the push push/pull and just have it wired to standard volume, tone and tone. Just grab an american performer since it has a 6 point trem, regular block neck and standard colors while also being cheaper by a few hundred dollars than the professional

Davey76 likes this.
  6. Hawk3y3

Hawk3y3 New Member!

Or just don’t ever push on the push-push...

Lewbypls likes this.
  7. Davey76

I’d have to get rid of it man, it’s a psychological block of it, I’m a purist. The heel is all wrong for me too. I think you’re right about the performer.

8. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Such pessimism - is it the design changes that make you think that, or do you think that quality control is headed into the bin? No sign that the latter is occurring, and I can't disparage Fender for making some functional improvements to the "flagship" Strat...some will stick and some may go a away, e.g., I doubt will ever see a 6-point trem on the American Standard/Professional/Whatever-It's-Called-Next trim line.

Plus, there are still models available with more vintage appointments, if that's your bag.

Tguitarfloyd, Davey76 and Lewbypls like this.
  9. Davey76

Yeah I accept I am pessimistic about these and maybe unfairly too but I believe fender are going down a path of trying to be too clever, a path Gibson went down and failed. I also accept that Fenders design upgrades are far more subtle than Gibson’s were but they already have the Am Ultra series that implements all of their design upgrades for the people that are into that. I personally think there needs to be a standard line that focuses on pickup and colour changes but keeps within and around what their Standard models have been doing for years because they work perfectly fine as is. Their guitars are already great.
    6 point Trem system, I think we’ve seen the last of that in modern models unless at that vintage targeted cheaper price point. 2 point trem is pretty steady so I imagine it will continue on the higher end production models.
    Definitely don’t think fenders quality control has gone out the window, I own 6 of their instruments all bought within the last 6 years and I have not one complaint about any of them, for me, I just don’t like the idea of the company getting too overzealous with ambition and disregarding the importance of what got them this far. Standard Strats Teles P’s and J’s essentially. 2 technologically updated lines are unnecessary IMO especially when one of them is the staple musicians favourite and most acquirable, price wise, US made Mid to high end quality instrument.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 1:12 PM
    J4ME5 and nadzab like this.
  10. CB91710

CB91710 CB91710 in a Legible Font Double Platinum Supporting Member

Performer added P-P last year, so it's still there... and the love/hate CBS heasdstock.
    Also, it's $300 less, but lacks HSC and Bi-Flex truss rod.... the Performer is a nice low-cost option, but the Pro is a better value.

Anacharsis and Davey76 like this.
  11. CB91710

They do... as Gibson does.
    American Original 50s and 60s.... like the Gibson Original Series 50s and 60s.

12. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-Talker

What I meant was that they can get a performer and remove the option for adding the neck pickup altogether. The person that I replied too didn't mention hsc or bi-flex truss rod so those weren't a worry for them hence why they mention the vintera which doesn't have the hsc and bi-flex truss rod.

CB91710 likes this.
  13. CB91710

But he did mention being a purist... which, when it comes to Fender, could mean any of a dozen different configurations from pre-CBS to CBS to FMIC models.
    When I think "purist" I think Original 50s/60s model (with a 3-way switch <snark> )

Anacharsis, Davey76 and Lewbypls like this.
  14. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-Talker

That is very true. I hope he finds or has found the one so he can play more :D

CB91710 likes this.
  15. Ian111

Ian111 New Member!

Traditional = Squier Classic Vibe, Vintera, and Original

Modern = Player, Professional, and Ultra

Not sure where Performer goes but I tend to think modern. There is no “Standard” anymore but I think the Original is now the Standard. Fender is looking to the future IMHO and putting more emphasis on modern versions not that young players don’t buy traditional spec’d Fenders.

Davey76 likes this.
  16. Davey76

But it’s $800 AUD more than the Former US Standard and Am Pro series.

17. CB91710

The Performer is pretty close to the traditional, given the 6-screw bridge.
    The P-P option is not an uncommon mod.
    The Bi-Flex truss rod, which the Performer lacks, is certainly a modern feature.

But yes... the Original is an attempt to be faithful to the original designs down to the cloth wiring and PIO tone cap.... even more true to the original than the "Standard" or American Standard ever was... though even on the Original 50s they used a 5-way switch ;)

Tguitarfloyd and Davey76 like this.
  18. Davey76

When I say purist, I guess I still mean the Standard sort of version that is affordable, US made and not greatly modified I.e non cut heel, the VTT and nothing fancy. 5 position switch, I’m happy with either 6 point trem Or 2 point falcrum. No oversized headstock and definitely the spaghetti logo. I don’t like the performer series but I love the original series and have one of their P’s but it’s around $800-$1000 AUD more, that’s a huge jump in price than US Standard and Am Pro.

19. Davey76

I looked at the Aztec Gold Strat of the “original series” last night and it is so fine. It covers everything I love about the brand.

Tguitarfloyd and CB91710 like this.
  20. Ian111

Ian111 New Member!

I never tried the Performer but the Yosemite pickups sound hot to me. Fender tends to put the hotter pickups with the “Modern” Strats vs the lower output Traditional line.