American Special Body as good as American Standard?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by edsdds, Apr 17, 2018.

1. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

So if I replace my AM standard body is it a slight downgrade or just a different finish only ?

Forum member gilmourstrat posted “The Special haves a gloss poly finish whereas the Standard haves a thinner urethane finish”

Also the microtilt will be missing too.

Just curious if the body hardware would all fit just the same and that it’s not a huge downgrade.

Green Sub likes this.
  2. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster

The special has a 6 point trem the Standard has the Two-Point trem.

Other than that, it's a wash IMO.

The finishes on the body are both catalyzed, thinner finishes.

Both trems work fine when set-up correctly.

If you need the micro-tilt when setting it up, a simple shim is a better alternative anyway. Again this is only my opinion. Some may disagree.

Green Sub likes this.
  3. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

Oh duh forgot about the 2 point trem. That makes sense. I have vintage saddles but completely forgot about the 2 point trem. That means a any american 2 point trem body will fit like an American Standard or Deluxe or some Artist series, etc

Green Sub likes this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Why are you looking to swap bodies in the first place? You will be drastically lowering the guitar's value.....if you sell your body for example, and get another body....your American Standard has now become a partscaster and is worth like $400-500 used instead of $800....

I can understand the want for a different color more suited to your tastes....but I just wanted you to be aware of the value situation

AndyFroncioni likes this.
  5. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

I don't invest or worry about the value of a guitar unless its some $5,000 guitar. I have a 401k and other financial vehicles for that :p

Seriously though its just an American Standard Strat. It was $700 and I was honestly after the neck mostly. I doubt an American Standard body on an American standard neck would be worth $400. If I search my local Craigslist the cheapest MIM I can find is over $450.

Green Sub likes this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

serious....partscaster vs factory original neck and body makes a huge difference in value...a partscaster MIM for example would only be like $150-200 to 250 max.....if you knew it was a partscaster and did your research...and were the buyer....

Good luck!

7. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

I agree it makes a huge difference. But I don't think its .50 cents on the dollar. Another solution is to take the guitar apart and sell it piece by piece and actually make money on it. I have never done that because 1) I am too lazy and don't have the time 2) Again I am not in this for the money.

If you know of any MIM partsocasters for sale currently for $150-$250 please let me know I would like another project.

8. Guitarmageddon

My friend just bought one for $240 Canadian with gig bag.....2001 HSS neck and loaded pickguard on another refinished Mexico body from 1996.....$192 US....

Picture 479904.jpg

Kind of pointless for me to show this, just was trying to prove it happens regularly....

Anyhow, yes, any American Standard body should fit all your hardware and electronics....and should bolt on no problem....

9. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

Nice blue one. Yep its all based on market changes and availability. If I search the Minneapolis metro area right now on Craigslist, Music Go Round, used at GC, etc under $300 all I can find is Squiers.

10. aviamsi

aviamsi Senior Stratmaster

11. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored Strat-Talk Supporter

To get back to topic, yes they're interchangeable. The wood is just the same and has gone through the exact same process.

12. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    One is made in a "Special" part of America and the other is made in a more or less "Standard" region.

Both areas are "nice" but the dialect in one place just gets on my last nerve...

`

13. El_Pistolero

El_Pistolero Strat-O-Master

I'm not an expert in MIA guitars, but for your knowledge those two terms can mean the same thing. "Poly" refers to "polyurethane", which falls under the general "urethane" term. The significantly different production finish people sometimes are after is nitrocellulose lacquer.

Other than the bridge setup, the specs should be the same and would not be a drop in quality. I'd like to second the opinion about watching out for the value. I have a partscaster made from high end MIM parts ($800-900 range guitars) that I put together for $600 and I doubt I could sell it for over $350. But like you, it was not as an investment.

CyFan4036 and Guy Named Sue like this.