Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

American standard tuning issues

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Jigawatt, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talk Member

Oct 19, 2016
    UK
    After living with my 'new' Am standard tele for a week. The tuning sucks. My pink one with some dirty old klusons I won't have to touch for a whole set.
    I'm wondering wether it's a problem with the cut of the nut or the tuners (staggered type). I get the 'ping' when I'm tuning, when I use a capo I have to completely re-tune. Heavy bending, re tune...

So is it the nut or should I stick some trusty Klusons on there?

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    #1 - has the guitar had a proper setup to shape the nut slots properly and lube them, as well as proper truss rod, string height, and intonation?

#2 - did you change to a heavier or lighter gauge than the guitar had when you bought it?

The ping sounds like nut slots to me.....

Also #3 - strings need to be stretched a lot when putting new ones on, but I'm sure you knew that

BallisticSquid likes this.

3. Jigawatt

Oct 19, 2016
    UK
    It's new (old stock). As soon as I got it I changed the strings with 10's, not sure what they are standard. Done the intonation height and truss rod. Before I even plugged it in in fact!

The nut is something I can't do as I don't have the tools.

4. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Really sounds like the nut, or not stretching the strings enough before a gig? Fender usually puts 9's on their guitars out of the factory, not 10's, but that shouldn't do anything. Tuners are very rarely an issue with tuning problems, especially on a brand new guitar. I've had 4 Am. Stds., amongst various other Strat models through the years, and all very reliably stayed in tune through gigs, and I bend strings a lot, in fact I've always felt like Strats period, with the exception of maybe Teles, consistently stayed in tune better than most other electrics. I do block mine however, and don't use the whammy bar.

BallisticSquid and Jigawatt like this.

5. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Big bend nut lube, or pencil graphite, or burnish the slots with some correct size string.

Definitely a nut issue. My staggered tuners work great. My trem is decked though so that may have something to do with why o have not had to re tune but once in the 5 or 6 months I have owned mine.

Jigawatt likes this.

6. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    If it's pinging, it is definitely the nut. Try some lubrication in the slots. Graphite is good, I use chapstick, and it works really well.

7. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    If you were going to replace the nut you probably do have the tools.

Pliers
    Titebond glue
    A new nut

That's pretty much it. Maybe some sandpaper.

(Assuming a pre cut nut)

8. Jigawatt

Oct 19, 2016
    UK
    Yeah it must be. I'll try and find a pencil...

It does make me wonder if it's cut too high or not enough the way it reacts to a capo. It's completely out, some too sharp, some flat.

I'll try and lube it first. If not I'll get in touch with my favourite luthier. He did wonders with my '62 hotrod. Which like this wasn't great out of the box.

Thanks guys.

9. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    When you use a capo are you returning with the capo on or off.

If you are with it on I would check the intonation. Again I am assuming the capo is on say the 5th fret versus like fret 1 or so.

Guitarmageddon likes this.

10. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Nope - you need nut slot files too and the experience necessary to shape them and angle them right....

No nut is just a drop in....if it is, it won't be set up properly...

nederemer and Jigawatt like this.

11. Jigawatt

Oct 19, 2016
    UK
    Yeah the intonation is fine. Tuning with it on. In this instance I was using it on the 2nd. I would expect it to be slightly sharper than normal to accommodate the distance from nut to fret board to fret added distance. But it's not uniform.

12. Jigawatt

Oct 19, 2016
    UK
    Yeah that's what I meant. I don't have the files. And I assumed a new one would have to be filed too.

I have toyed with the idea of a bone one though. So maybe if it's getting done anyway I'll get one first.

nederemer and Guitarmageddon like this.

13. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Just an FYI - I have never in my entire life been able to take a guitar tuned normally, put on a capo at any fret, and have it be in tune there....

Or, when re-tuning with the capo on, it's never in tune again when taking it off....

Every single guitar I've ever played in my life....they do make high end expensive capos with less tension that supposedly work, but I don't want to spend $50-100 on a capo.

nederemer likes this.