American standard.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratafied, Apr 2, 2020.

1. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Definitely too high. My mint case queen 2010 was $950 with tax from a local music store 5 years ago...

2. Bucklander

Bucklander Strat-Talk Member

About the same over here - £650.00-£800.00. I see people asking more, but do they actually sell for more? I doubt it.

3. ccalda

ccalda Senior Stratmaster

I was buying used american specials for $600 a few years ago, but it was just that...a few years ago so people who tell you what they paid 5-10 years ago are not giving you the right picture.

Compare pricing with other american standards online. It’s the best and only way to help you negotiate

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Definitely too high. By a lot.

CB91710 likes this.
  5. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Stratmaster

I bought and sold a few American Standards this year. They sell in stores $800-$900 tops. I recently bought my good-condition late 90’s American Standard for a considerably less.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    CB91710 likes this.
  6. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

So nice to hear someone keeping it clean. Keep it up.

7. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

yeah, that’s a little high, but not un heard of.

I prefer the American Standard series, and if I ran across a 2014-2016 Oly white w/rosewood in brand new condition or open box with all the case candy for $1200, I might just buy it. It’s been on my short list for a couple years now. Have yet to find the “one” and they are not getting any easier to find.

On a side note, most these are listed on the high side. I always try to offer a couple hundred less and see where it goes from there. ;)

Stratafied likes this.
  8. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

Im going to continue searching. Hope you find the one you’re after.

arcticstrat likes this.
  9. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I looked for an American Standard for several years. New or used, most that were for sale were problem guitars or boat anchors. However, I was able to find a nice Special and Player Strat.

10. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Strat-Talker

$750-850 is what I'd pay for one. Plenty of good Standards around for that price. They aren't collectors items, regardless of what folks collect. Especially whenever the economy is currently tanking.

11. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

12. dave999z

dave999z Strat-Talk Member

That was between 2011 and 2012. I got a 2011 American Standard on sale for $900 new from my local GC, right at the end of 2011.

There was really nothing about that change in 2012 that justified a 25% price increase. By that I mean it's not that a 2012 version was suddenly 25% better wood or craftsmanship. Even the pickups were just... different. (Many quite liked the prior pickups.) But Fender realized the market would bear a 25% price increase, and they needed to change some minor specs to use in the accompanying marketing. Same thing when they changed the American Standard to the American Professional in 2017ish. It's the same guitar with different (but not that different) frets, pickups, and neck profile.

13. cdogukan48

cdogukan48 Strat-Talk Member

Hey man
    I recently bought one 2012 AM Standard Strat with cs fat50's on it including case, trem arm and the strap for $ 800. It was my best option in where I live and the guitar, which has been barely played, is in a great condition. I saw many listings for $ 1000 + but I believe you can find them for between $ 800 - 1000.
    Let me know if you have any questions about the guitar.

Andrew Wasson likes this.