American Standards built in the Custom Shop?

Josh_t24

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 12, 2018
Lexington, KY
So, a couple things.

1. No he's not trying to sell it to me lol. He's definitely not trying to move it.

2. I have seen and played the guitar. I know a decent amount about USA Standards from that era as I own multiple and it's definitely a legit guitar.

3. He bought it from Guitar Center new in 2008.

4. I guess there's a possibility Guitar Center had a Custom Classic mentioned above and mislabeled it as an American Standard. Definitely wouldn't be surprised with their history haha.

5. I'm not saying I know this is all 100% correct in terms of the history of why or how it was assembled. He's not someone to BS people with something pointless like this so he definitely believes it's true. I'm just trying to get info here out of curiosity.

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
So, a couple things.

1. No he's not trying to sell it to me lol. He's definitely not trying to move it.

2. I have seen and played the guitar. I know a decent amount about USA Standards from that era as I own multiple and it's definitely a legit guitar.

4. I guess there's a possibility Guitar Center had a Custom Classic mentioned above and mislabeled it as an American Standard. Definitely wouldn't be surprised with their history haha.

5. I'm not saying I know this is all 100% correct in terms of the history of why or how it was assembled. He's not someone to BS people with something pointless like this so he definitely believes it's true. I'm just trying to get info here out of curiosity.

See if he will pop the neck off. He’ll see right away if it’s CS or not. Either way if it was and he indeed bought it new it would have come with paperwork stating it’s a CS, via a COA.

So if he doesn’t CS stamps inside the neck pocket or a COA someone somewhere along the line is confused.

arct

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 12, 2021
South Jersey
Question:
Is a fender custom shop built with different materials/procedures? Or is it just the assembly is done by the custom shop?

Like at gibson, the custom shop does have guitars built with different materials and processes than standard production models. Different glue, neck tenon, nitro formula and application etc.

Is this the case at fender? Or does it just come down to the builder being a custom shop employee?
Customme Shoppe has their own budget, suppliers, materials, personnel, schedule(s). It is possible they could need something they don't have, in which case they would buy from the other two lines of business inside the building. The Customme Shoppe is it's very own entity. An empty one. Completely empty on the random Tuesday we were there.

rct

JDug

Strat-O-Master
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey USA
Separate materials and shop, probably similar to Gibson. So a American standard wouldn’t just be build by CS employee and put a decal on the back.
Yes and if it was a Am Std, the serial number would cramped up with the CS logo on the back of the headstock!?!

I’ve never seen a CS with a headstock serial, only on the neck plate.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I still kick myself for not buying a CSCC Tele for $1400 because I was trying to be an adult and told myself I didn't need it.

Now I smack myself when I hear talk like that.

It looked like this:

View attachment 583538

Yeah they always seem to have beautiful wood grains and finishes. The necks were fancy too. Not sure on all of them but nice Birdseye or flame. There really were nice and just slightly cheaper price wise than say a vintage reissue CS. Now they’re hard to come by gone up in price.

They also made a custom shop deluxe which was a even fancier version of a deluxe strat.

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
So, a couple things.

Wherever he got his information he was grossly misinformed.

It's now your job as his friend to sit him down and set him straight.

Be firm but with compassion. If he starts to weep just let him get it out, tell him to take deep breaths and let him know everything will be alright.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Question:
Is a fender custom shop built with different materials/procedures? Or is it just the assembly is done by the custom shop?

Like at gibson, the custom shop does have guitars built with different materials and processes than standard production models. Different glue, neck tenon, nitro formula and application etc.

Is this the case at fender? Or does it just come down to the builder being a custom shop employee?
Completely separate production line with the wood for the body and neck selected and cut/shaped in the CS.
In the 90s when I toured the CS, it was a completely separate facility in a small business park about 3 miles from the main plant.
They are not just grabbing production parts, painting them, and slapping a CS sticker on them.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Yep I remember those. Those we’re some nice guitars with really cool color choices.
Then on the flip side, we had the MiM series that was "Custom Shop Designed" and has resulted in many listings for overpriced MiM models with the claim that they came from the Mexico Custom Shop.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
But, back when the American Vintage line was still in production, that's exactly what they did. When I toured the facility in 2012, that's what they told us they did if a specific vintage neck was specified.

So would they take a AV neck for a custom shop or put a custom shop neck on a AV?

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
But, back when the American Vintage line was still in production, that's exactly what they did. When I toured the facility in 2012, that's what they told us they did if a specific vintage neck was specified.
On a tour they openly told you they put non custom shop necks on custom shop guitars.

This makes no sense.