American Standards built in the Custom Shop?

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
Agreed. It makes zero sense. So the custom shop couldn’t make a vintage spec neck? Maybe the CNC machine they used was broken?
I can see maybe for a one off putting a CS neck on a standard (who would complain about that?) but not the other way around.

budglo

Strat-O-Master
Nov 21, 2009
ohio
I can see maybe for a one off putting a CS neck on a standard (who would complain about that?) but not the other way around.
I could see them using an unfinished AVRI neck and finishing it with the CS logo on it maybe . Or the tour guide “misspoke”.

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I could see them using an unfinished AVRI neck and finishing it with the CS logo on it maybe . Or the tour guide “misspoke”.

Yes it’s definitely possible by why? Why would they grab a neck from a AVRI and finish it? The custom was waiting at the door and the guitar wasn’t ready?

Cut to vintage specs, lots of CS necks are 7.25 radius, vintage frets and lots are quarter sawn also. Yes it could happen but I could any see it if the CNC machine was out of order.

Josh_t24

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 12, 2018
Lexington, KY
So the guitar mentioned looks very similar to this one.

I believe someone at Guitar Center might have been confused when he bought it and sold him one of these as an American Standard. Anyone here have a version of this in sunburst like the link below?

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
So the guitar mentioned looks very similar to this one.

I believe someone at Guitar Center might have been confused when he bought it and sold him one of these as an American Standard. Anyone here have a version of this in sunburst like the link below?

Well your friend and GC are confused. If that’s a custom shop that he bought it should have a COA saying it’s a custom shop. Unless it didn’t come with one or the original case and case candy. Yes someone could get confused but still those custom classics are night and day different to a same era standard.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Yes it’s definitely possible by why? Why would they grab a neck from a AVRI and finish it? The custom was waiting at the door and the guitar wasn’t ready?

Cut to vintage specs, lots of CS necks are 7.25 radius, vintage frets and lots are quarter sawn also. Yes it could happen but I could any see it if the CNC machine was out of order.
Yep... and some CS necks like mine are 9.5 with 6100 "Jumbo" frets... not just the "Medium Jumbo" like those found on the American Special.

CyFan4036

Senior Stratmaster
Platinum Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2018
You are here
Putting their workforce to use on other lines would be a standard manufacturing process at the two factories I've worked at so that part of the story makes sense. They would NOT however, put a Custom Shop logo on those guitars. They are still Standards.

StratUp

Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Are you Al Gore?

Nerd moment: To be fair to ol' Al, he never said that. He said something different which was twisted due to politics (shocking, I know).

Here's a statement from Vinton Cerf & Bob Kahn, who are considered the Fathers of the Internet: “Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development... No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution [to the Internet] over a longer period of time”

We now return to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

budglo

Strat-O-Master
Nov 21, 2009
ohio

Yeah. Only way I could see it is if someone actually ordered a CS and requested say an AVRI 57 neck as part of the specs , maybe .

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
Oh yeah, that could be exactly what his friend has. We didn’t get a pic so just went off the story, which is BS. Yeah the classics are fancy standards but 100% custom shop made. Not recession standards.
But if ‘made’ means ‘assembled’ and they use the same parts that turned right instead of left at tge end of production or through Goods In, what makes them physically different to standards?

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
But if ‘made’ means ‘assembled’ and they use the same parts that turned right instead of left at tge end of production or through Goods In, what makes them physically different to standards?

2 different shops, 2 different CNC machines. They wouldn’t run out of wood and grab from the other shop. They also wouldn’t grab a neck say from avri 57 if a customer wanted those specs, they would make their own because that’s what they do.

The story of mixing and matching parts is bogus. Believe what you want but I very highly doubt this swapping of parts happens. Why have a specific custom shop facility if parts is parts.

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
2 different shops, 2 different CNC machines. They wouldn’t run out of wood and grab from the other shop. They also wouldn’t grab a neck say from avri 57 if a customer wanted those specs, they would make their own because that’s what they do.

The story of mixing and matching parts is bogus. Believe what you want but I very highly doubt this swapping of parts happens. Why have a specific custom shop facility if parts is parts.
I can fully accept the separate entities explanation, I was curious as opposed to argumentative. 😀