American Strat Bridge Assemblies

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JRSIV, Sep 27, 2021.

1. JRSIV

JRSIV Stuck in the Middle Position Silver Member

[​IMG]

I recently bought a 2014 American Standard Strat that has a Vega-Trem bridge/tremolo installed. I'm not a trem guy at all; the rest of my Strat's are either blocked or decked. However, the Vega-Trem is easily the most fluid and reliable trem I ever played with and I figured I'd leave it for awhile, "it's good to have one guitar with a trem" thinking, etc.

It's been a month or so and...I'm just not feeling it. This Strat is so good I'd just prefer it to be trem-less. My question is, I know that the 2008 and later American Standard's use this bridge assembly, which added bent steel saddles and a new block material:

[​IMG]

However I have also seen the American Professional series bridge assemblies that look to be pretty much the same thing, save for the pop in arm:

[​IMG]

Now since I don't use the tremolo the pop in arm does nothing for me. But are there any other changes to the Pro's block or something? Is it even compatible with older US Strat's?

I'm just curious and can't find much about it. I assume most would say just get the direct replacement assembly (part #007-5091-049) and be done with it but I'm curious if the American Professional bridges offer anything different/better?

2. Cokeman

Cokeman Strat-Talker

I wanted a Vega Trem. Those things are expensive.

JRSIV likes this.
  3. JRSIV

Lol. Yeah, which is why when I saw this guitar on Reverb I was blown away the Vega Trem was included but not used to jack up the price. It's definitely cool, smoothest trem BBQ been, pnp

I wouldn't mind having it on another Strat but this US Strat is just too good to not play very often because I'm not into tremolos.

4. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster

The American Pro block is the same as the American Deluxe, Elite, Ultra. Not sure about the Am Pro II
    Fender's description is BLOCK TREMOLO AM DLX STRAT RH 0077090000
    The Am Pro arm is a different diameter to the Deluxe though so the nylon bushing fitted into the block is different.

JRSIV likes this.
  5. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

If you don't like vibratos why even bother?

6. JRSIV

So do what instead, not have a bridge on the guitar? The purpose is to remove the Vega Trem, replace it with what came stock on the guitar and block/deck that bridge/trem.

The design of the Vega Trem is such that you can't block or deck it. So if you don't like vibratos you pretty much have to replace it. Since it's a 2014 Strat, I am just going to buy the Am.Std. bridge assembly and deck it. The original bridge system didn't come with the purchase.

I was just curious if the American Professional bridges were different and/or better and if so could they be put in the Strat instead, but it seems that save for the pop-in arm the Pro bridge/vibrato/trem is the same.

7. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

OK I misunderstood your goal.

JRSIV likes this.
  8. JRSIV

No worries brother, I have issues with keeping my posts succinct, I'm aware of it, lol.

What you were getting at is true though, if a guitar has a Vega-Trem on it there's nothing else that will top it. I just don't use vibrato enough to keep it installed, even if it's the best I've ever used. Aside from Bigsby-ish waves on chords I really don't care for them.

9. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

How much of a mod to the original guitar was it to replace the original Fender 2-pt fulcrum screws and their bushings with the obviously different 2-pt Vega-trem fulcrum screws, and is that mod easily reversible ?

JRSIV likes this.
  10. JRSIV

[​IMG]

From everything I've read and from the companies installation videos, they supply a threaded adapter sleeve that allows the Vega Trem screws to be inserted into the stock brass bushings. I can see there's still the original brass inserts.

As I said I bought it with the Vega Trem installed and the original bridge wasn't included. The guy I got it from however said it's very easy to remove, etc. The entire assembly is the knife edge pivot bar with the Vega Trem logo on it (I added a picture), and then the bridge piece/"block". I say "block" because the Vega Trem unit is unbelievably small without a big block on it.

I'm not foreseeing be any issues, I'll just remove the knife edge bar that gets screwed to the body and remove the bridge piece. Since the bushings are still in the guitar it should be any easy job to put an American Standard bridge assembly back into it. I hope...

PCollen likes this.
  11. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

The Vega trems cost $350 here.. Expensive.

My bet is also, remove Vega trem, threaded adapters, install new tremolo.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    JRSIV likes this.
  12. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

JRSIV likes this.
  13. JRSIV

Very strange that WalMart is one of the few retailers that carry it, but that's pretty much the going rate.

I have thought of putting it on another Strat but the pivot bar I have is for 2 point trems only. I have a few 6 screw bridge Strat's that I can see moving the Vega Trem to but everything I've seen has said don't use the 2 point bar on a 6 screw guitar.

Vega Trem's site doesn't list just the pivot bars for sale, maybe I'll email them and check if a 6 screw bar is available...of course I expect it to be like $150 bucks or some sh**...1st world prollies gang...

14. JRSIV

I don't want to open another thread because I just have one question re the topic of the thread:

Are the American Professional I/II bridge assemblies better than the American Standard bridge assembly?

I have decided to put a Fender 2 point trem into my 2014 US Strat but am curious if the newer American bridge is any better? The only difference I aware of or that I can gleen from Fender's site is the trem arm is push in instead of screw in. Is the block exactly the same?

Appreciate the input...

15. dreamingstrat

dreamingstrat Strat-Talker

comparing both models,

https://www.fender.com/en-US/parts/...ssional-strat-bridge-assembly/0992004000.html

and

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-h...1nswuhWg0bzktWwZtqarI1-j0d2IFodRoCbbMQAvD_BwE

it seems like they're just basically the same.. no change in materials, string spacing etc.. you will just probably be buying into the trem arm push in instead of screw in..

if you really want to change the bridge, probably something else like Callaham kit (I also own a 2014 US Standard, and debating if I should get this kit) for probably less than the Fender parts.

https://www.callahamguitars.com/strat_trem_amstandardupkit_catalog.htm

16. JRSIV

Thanks man. Because I want to have my 2014 US Strat with just a standard Fender bridge blocked or decked and move the Vega Trem to another guitar, yesterday a buddy told me to just swap out my 2021 Player Strat's 2 point bridge into the American Standard and move the Vega Trem into the Player Strat.

I have read the Player Strat assembly is just basically the American Standard assembly, but I'm not 100% sure.

17. dreamingstrat

ah, it probablt is the same as the am pros. I think standardizing all parts for all models will make sense at a manufacturing standpoint, but still not sure. Hehehe.

i too, wanted to replace my standard us bridge to something like the Callahan, but a few posts here basically says it wont really do anything my current bridge cannot do since Fender “upgraded” the material on the trem block on recent standard models leading up to the discontinuation of the standard line, on which the Callaham is trying to address.

The advantage I see is the trem is smoother on the Callaham, but I dont use the trem on strats anyway, and I have mine decked with 5 springs. So I think i’m not gonna spend money on mine. Hehe

18. JRSIV

Just wanted to post a quick update. I swapped the Vega Trem bridge for the American Standard bridge assembly and it's perfect. I wasn't using the trem that much and now playing it with a decked trem really brings out the zing and character from my 2014 US Strat.

I emailed Vega Trem and they do sell just the pivot block piece in the vintage Strat bridge configuration. It's 40€'s, not cheap but not as of strong as I was expecting.

20211014_085127.jpg

19. buzzword

buzzword Strat-Talker Silver Member

The AmProII's use a cold rolled steel block for the trem, but that appears to be the only difference.

20. dreamingstrat

beautiful black strat! I want one too! Lol

JRSIV likes this.