Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Amp buzz/noise on certain frequencies

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Twang Banger, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Blues and Country pick'n Strat-Talk Supporter

May 15, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have tightened down all the screws on the back panels, placed rubber washers between the speaker and the amp and still get this annoying buzz on frequencies ranging form F sharp to about B, on the low E string. Could this be a speaker problem? I did just install what I thought was a good Celestion Greenback in this amp ... which almost touches one of the EL84s, so I am wondering if that is it. I guess I will have to remove the back grille to test that unless someone has other ideas.

Thanks.

2. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Strat-O-Master

Feb 13, 2014
    AZ
    Did it do this with the original speaker?

If not then the speaker is bad or it possibly IS too close to one of the power tubes. It could also be a sympathetic vibration from somewhere else that is being amplified. Every different speaker is going to respond to frequencies different.

Have you tried a different guitar/different pickup etc.

3. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Blues and Country pick'n Strat-Talk Supporter

May 15, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Did not do it with original speaker. Noise exists with different guitars ... same frequencies. Probably will just stick the original speaker back in and see if that cures it. The v-type Celestion is a little bit less deep than the greenback ... and I think that might be the root of the issue since I have never had this problem before.

Also, if you listen closely, the sound seems to “grow” not fade. I think if it were literally speaker buzz from a bad cone or something, the buzz would fade more closely in time with the fade of audio ... this noise seems to increase a bit before fading out ... so maybe that is tube rattle or something like that. Oh well, so much for experimentation!

4. Stevem

Stevem Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2014
    NY
    That's not a bad / microphonic power tube grunt, so I would say you have a bum new speaker!

5. ultra80096

ultra80096 Strat-Talk Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Iowa
    Buzzes can come from many areas. My latest buzz chase involved slightly loose screws holding the Power transformer. Had to remove the main circuit board to get to the nuts to tighten. The OT & choke screws were loose also. Re-assembled, buzz killed.

6. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Bad speaker connection, maybe? at the end of the video there´s a complete cut off audible.
    I don´t if it just the recording or if it comes from the amp.

All the best,
    Robin

7. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

the only time I had this problem was with a BDRI. the fix for me was new power tubes and it went away.

I used that amp HARD. it eventually started kinda farting, but like a really far away fart accompanied by a rattle like a bunch of change in a dish shaking just a little. It only did this on the low E string, pretty much any note from F to A would come with this little trail of ghostlyness.

I thought something came loose inside because I played that amp on 7 for a few years with my heavy handed drummer.

8. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Mar 12, 2014
    center of the mind
    Can you leave the speaker wire hooked up but take the speaker off the baffle and out of the amp, then play through it? That might tell you if its the speaker itself or vibration from too close to the tube.

9. Ecosse

Ecosse Strat-Talk Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I had a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb that had a cab buzz that wouldn’t go away with screw tightening. In the end I wedged a pick between the baffle and cab and it never came back. Blue Tortex I think it was haha

nuculer terrist likes this.

10. Stevem

Stevem Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2014
    NY
    Make sure the wire to it is not sitting too close to the speakers cone.

Many times I have had bad preamp tubes produce a distorted buzz at the same pitch as the note at end ring off of a note , but it made this after every note being played, on the other hand in all my years of trouble shooting amps with bad power tubes I have never heard that sound out of them.

One way to prove this out is to remove one output tube at a time and see if the issue goes away, as I dought both output tubes are at fault even if I am wroung about them making such a sound!

11. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Mar 7, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Tube rattle can be an issue. Sometime a new speaker is stronger in certain frequencies and that can bring out a rattle, even though the tube are the same.