Join Strat-Talk Today

Amp Chassis

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Kayden33, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-O-Master

Having my amp head cabinet sent into Mojotone for new tolex covering and when I removed my head from the cabinet it appears some of the paint came off the aluminum chassis or it was already missing paint prior to the chassis being fitted into the cabinet at the factory.

Anyways was wondering if anyone knows how to fix this? Should I tape everything off super good, only exposing the bottom lip areas and spray a primer+ black over the areas? Any advice or whatever would be appreciated. Thank you

FE3768D8-645B-4B25-A35D-71C1467764FA.jpeg

Silvercrow likes this.
  2. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't think that missing paint will affect anything, and since stuff like that really doesn't bother me I personally wouldn't mess with it (it'll be covered up in the cabinet anyway). But if you intend to paint it, I would say you definitely want to tape up everything except the parts you want to touch-up.

But you need to be careful taping things off because of the dangerous voltages ---even if unplugged--- that can still be inside the amp and hurt/kill you! :eek:

Here's a good read about being safe when working with tube amps.

:thumb:

93-Strat, Tone Deaf and Kayden33 like this.
  3. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

There is no practical or functional effect of fixing it. If you absolutrly have to, just use a brush, dip it in paint and slap on.

4. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Senior Stratmaster

There is zero practical reason to do it. Not for looks, not for function. The only reason you would do it is to give in to crippling OCD.

5. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-O-Master

So reason I ask this is because I don’t want the paint to possibly continue to chip more and come around the front or back.

Anyways I’ll figure it out

6. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sharpie marker

Or go the the hardware store and get a paint pen.

But trying to repair painted surfaces without a bunch of prep work doesn't yield good results

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Stratoskater likes this.
  7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Is that an aluminum chassis? It looks like it. It's difficult to get paint to stick well to aluminum. It takes some halfway complicated preparation. I think I'd just be careful with what you have now and hope it outlasts you. The alternative may be a complete disassembly, strip, repaint, and silkscreen job. If I had one and it came to that, I'd get it black anodized instead.

Of course if it's steel that's an easier matter.

8. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I get it. You'll have to feather sand the edges of where it is torn off, lightly scuffing the bare metal you wish to cover. Then prime and paint and let cure well. You'll have to overlap edges of where it is already exposed, to prevent it just starting to tear off again at the edges of where it is already off, so I'd probably just mask and lightly sand and finish the entire strip. But since it's hidden, it might turn out as well if you fill paint with a brush. Just be careful as you won't want any solvents in the finish you are applying bleed over onto the sides of the metal. A nice, neatly applied strip of black electrical tape would cover it all, but you probably risk really pulling more finish off if you decide to later pull off the tape.

Powder coating or baked finish would be best, but would require a ton of work and having it re-labled.

9. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-O-Master

Just sucks I purchased this brand new in 2018 for $2,000 and this occurs. I have 5 year warranty but I’m thinking warranty wouldn’t cover this although it looks like possible factory finish issue like the paint didn’t adhere properly.

10. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

First world problem. Personally, I wouldn’t mess with it. Too much chance of damaging something.

Miotch and JB74 like this.
  11. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-O-Master

Ok I understand you probably meant nothing by it but when someone uses the term - it’s a first world problem, it annoys the hell out of me.

Few things to understand, it took a lot of money, hard work, long hours to afford my amp :thumb: and they can get more costly than 2k :eek: . Second I came here to ask for help and opinion on what I could do here but instead I’m getting told it’s a first world problem :thumbd: . This statement “it’s a first world problem” gets so overused honestly and I understand there are others in this world having far greater issues than mine, so am I supposed to just not give a darn about anything? It’s not like I came in demanding help and yelling I get help like some A Hole with a boutique amp. I make yearly less than 40k so I don’t think I’m being condescending or rude here.

So again this forum is for help, knowledge, friendships, help and more correct? If so then please stop slinging around the saying “it’s a first world problem”. We all understand that everyone of us in are own ways have it better than some in this world but that doesn’t mean you have to say whatever to everything. And again what’s this forum for? I thought help, knowledge, friendships and more.

Last, again I know without a doubt you meant nothing negative or whatever but just saying this saying needs some chilling out. We all understand other world issues but at the same time isn’t this place meant for this? Can you imagine if this was everyone’s thought when it came to anything and everything? And thank you for your reply, take care.

First World Problems ——————>>>>>

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/new-guitar-in-my-future-custom-shop.515102/

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Electgumbo and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. bluejazzoid

I agree the paint coming off like that sucks, but whatever warranty you had might now be void by having the amp cabinet recovered.

So what amp is that, or more importantly - who built it?

13. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-O-Master

Yeah tolex was coming loose hanging down in the back near the power tubes.

It’s a PRS Archon 100

14. bluejazzoid

Well that is a nice amp! Do you still have the cabinet, or have you already sent it off?

If you still have it, or can get it back w/o having it recovered, you most likely could just put it back together and then call about the problem -- I imagine you would have a good chance of having it replaced if the tolex was loose like that (nevermind the paint issue).

Kayden33 likes this.
  15. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Sorry guy, I didn't mean to be offensive. I was making a joke, albeit obviously not funny. I apologize. But seriously, I wouldn't risk trying to paint on it. I would hate to see you get solvents or paint into where it could cause a problem. And, I hear you about how much it cost. They ain't cheap. Sorry.

Kayden33 likes this.
  16. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-O-Master

It’s ok and no worries. Like I said I’m sure you meant no harm.

It’s just I hear that tossed around a lot these days and it gets annoying lol.

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-O-Master

Thank you, yes it’s very nice and happy with it. Lots of people think it’s a metal only amp hit it has one of the best clean channels I ever heard which is why I bought it. It’s hard to find a high gain amp with a phenomenal clean channel.

Yeah I sent the cab off this morning unfortunately.

Having it recovered by Mojotone is a good thing. Mojotone is who builds all the cabinets and telexed all the cabinets for PRS along with lots of US boutique companies. So only thing I’m out is the cost out of pocket to apply new toes which wasn’t to costly.

18. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-O-Master

Picked these two up earlier and just finished two costs of Rust-Oleum Aluminum Primer Professional and three coats of Rust-Oleum Flat Black Enamel Professional.

Looks good so far and actually really impressed. I’ll upload photos when it dries completely.

E30E593B-D242-4617-BCB1-63758CCE057C.jpeg

bluejazzoid likes this.
  19. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Is the manufacturer aware that both the Tolex and paint are failing so soon?

JB74 likes this.
  20. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

1. Ring the manufacturer and discuss the issue, convey your concern.

2. report your response.

I'm going to deliver a qualified response of a generic variety.

The amplifier was assembled, and quality control passed. The amplifier functions as designed.

The issue you have is cosmetic, and stems from the removal of the amplifier tray.
    The paint has obviously adhered to the cab/tolex and when removed from the cabinet the paint has come away.

This is not an issue and should not present any further issues regarding the finish.

Of course, you could return the amplifer to the place of purchase and then explain why you have removed the amplifier tray, and why it was simply not returned to repair the tolex, without you attempting to remove the tray.

In which case you'd have never seen the missing paint which was removed in the process of the tray removal, and you'd not be worried.

You might hate "first world problems" but the reality is you're complaining to the wrong audience.

To any of us who work on amplifiers this is absolutely normal, presents no issue and if you came to me with this kind of complaint I'd tell you exactly why it occurs, then ask you why you're complaining about it.

It's an amp. use it.

If you're not happy with the quality, or happy with PRS customer service, then sell it and buy something else.

but squeaky wheels get the most oil..

Stratoskater and Antstrat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.