Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Amp for the music room...?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by trapdoor2, Nov 11, 2017.

1. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2012
    Southern California
    For the money, I would suggest the Fender Super Champ X2 head or combo. I have the the head and use a different cab. The amp is a tube/modeling amp. I don't use channel 2 because channel 1 is an excellent blackface clean channel that works very well with pedals.

2. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Hahahahaha. The "Ho-tone" amp came in last night and...I don't own any cables! :confused: I've been using the Vox Amplugs, no cables needed there.

The amp is pretty cool, smaller than I expected (even though I watched videos, drew out the measurements, etc., you just don't get a feel for the size until it is in your hand). It is quite heavy for its size (which I like, it feels 'substantial'). It did power up (which is a good sign).

I guess I'm headed to GC at lunch to snag a cable for the Strat and a couple of effects loop shorties for the reverb when it arrives.

nuculer terrist likes this.

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    How is this even possible? It;s just not natural, even my son that doesn't play any instruments at all owns guitar cables. :confused:

Mansonienne, trapdoor2 and johnnymg like this.

4. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Well people's been telling me I've been an unnatural act since I was born... :eek:

When I got rid of my Bass and my ES-175D, the amps and cables went with them (15yrs ago). I've been acoustic since then.

Its OK. All's right with the world now. I visited GC at lunch and acquired said cable. Two ectually. One little bitty short one that goes between the reverb pedal and the amp & one 6' cable that I believe goes into the guitar somewhere and connects it to the pedal.

If I get home this evening at a reasonable hour, I'll see if the new amp works. There's been some sort of delivery delay for the reverb pedal. UPS sent me a note saying something about "conditions" being unfavorable to complete delivery as initially scheduled. I don't know from conditions...the weather is fine between there and here.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Translation:

The driver got lost, we have to get another one. Don't worry we think we know where there is one.

Love,

UPS

Mansonienne and trapdoor2 like this.

6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Got my cables home, jumped in and fired that sucker up. I spent a very pleasant hour or so making guitarish noises into my dime-store headphones. The HOTONE amp is just about perfect for my workbench. It sounds right and the knobs operate very smoothly, with some slight resistance so that they don't dance around. Easy to shove 'em around with a fingertip (just like in their videos).

This is the "Mojo Diamond" version, which is a Fender "Tweed" emulator. Smooth sounds appear to be its forte. Interesting to watch their demo video and then use the settings shown on the video to see if I could get close with my own guitar (their video is a standard Strat, mine is HSS). I was very pleased with the results comparison. I got very close to all those sounds.

I think it is a 'keeper'.

UPS finally said one of their trucks would be bringing my reverb pedal today. More play time tonight!

Thrup'ny Bit and nuculer terrist like this.

7. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Nice. I have seen the videos advertising them on Facebook but never heard an opinion from anyone that owned one.

Glad to hear that you like it!

8. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Mar 12, 2014
    center of the mind
    Gonna be awesome with reverb

9. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Well, GC failed me. The used HOTONE 'verb' reverb pedal arrived, looks pretty cool. No AC adapter! :mad:

I contacted GC, they told me to call the store that sold it (El Paso, TX). Store sez: "oh, the used stuff never has its adapter with it." Gee, it would have been nice to mention that in the advertisement, don'tcha think? The used Amp I bought came with its adapter...(no paper, no box...but I could plug it in and test it out). The store won't even go look for it. "Sorry sir!"

No, buying a 9V AC adapter isn't going to break the bank. No, I'm not returning the unit (unless it doesn't work when I finally plug it up). Still, I feel like the sale was misrepresented.

Sigh. I guess I'm off to Office Depot or Walmart to find an adapter. I used to have a box full of them around here somewhere. No telling if any would fit. I think I tossed 'em all anyway...

10. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    OK...

I tossed off a light 'venting' email to GC's customer service. What I got back was a nice email actually offering to deduct the cost of my Wal-Mart 9V adapter from my purchase price. Send 'em a scan of the receipt, etc.

How cool is that? :thumb:

So, the used HOTONE "verb" reverb pedal works fine. All the knobs and switches work like they're supposed to. Reverberations run from nil to overwhelming. Decay does its thing, tone likewise. The "shimmer" button adds some high freq. stuff that my old earball-bones cannot hear. Miz Diane sez she hears 'sparkly noises' when I hit the 'shim' button, so it must be working. Just a feature I will never use.

[​IMG]

This thing is tiny (I put it in my pants pocket and carried it into Wal-Mart to make sure the power supply I bought would fit)...and heavy for its size. That means it sits nicely on the table top without flopping around too much. Of course, once you get cables attached, it is lost among a nest of snakes. Frankly, that was something I wanted to avoid by getting an amp that had its own integrated reverb.

I know, I know. I went for 'cheap'. Hey, I'm on the steep end of the learning curve. :confused:

Big plus: it seems to work well with the amp. Once I got the hookups made and the power supply sorted, I spent another pleasant hour messing around with the whole setup. I need to figure out how to situate everything on my workbench, get the mess of cables sorted out, etc.

I think I'm "done" with my music room amp search. Yah, right...:rolleyes:

nuculer terrist and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

11. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    ^^^^^^^¥¥^^^^^^^^^

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

12. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Strat-O-Master

Mar 6, 2010
    Las Vegas
    I've had mine for several months and I"m still impressed. Pretty amazing little amp. I'm running it with a reverb pedal and an EQ for a +15 db. boost when needed.

[​IMG]IMG_1020_1 by Don Wiklund, on Flickr

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 at 11:00 AM
    nuculer terrist likes this.

13. Gladius

Gladius Strat-Talk Member

May 17, 2014
    China
    Late to this thread but yeah, I was going to come in talking about the Hotone Purple Wind or similar amps. They are fun little guys and over time you could probably collect a few of them to make a funny little amp wall on your workbench or desk.

You might as well start saving now though because you're going to be thinking about that blues junior is going to be calling you as your playing improves.