Amp Making Strange Noise

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by PeteG45, Aug 22, 2008.

1. PeteG45

PeteG45 Strat-O-Master

I have a Peavey ValveKing 112 that is making a strange noise. On certain notes I get an almost gurgling noise from the amp. It's not very loud it's kind of a background noise. Could this be due to a tube that is ready to die? These are the original tubes but the amp is less than a year old (bought it Xmas 2007). I don't play loud ever, I use this amp in a bedroom in my house and I don't think that I've ever had the volume past about 9 o'clock.

2. AnArmyOfJuan

AnArmyOfJuan Strat-Talk Member

well, it could be tubes. I had a similar problem with my '61 Ampeg reverberocket, but I found that in the trash, and it needed caps and all manner of other things, too.

new tubes would be the cheapest way to find out, and you should always have spares, anyway.

3. PeteG45

PeteG45 Strat-O-Master

If I get new power tubes do I have to have the amp re-biased? Does anyone know what it costs to have an amp re-biased (even a range)? It sounds like it could be expensive.

4. Bangbang

Bangbang Senior Stratmaster

This why I choose to stay away from tube amps.....I her to much about noise.

5. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

I may well be a valve. As someone mentions new valves will be the best way to find out and it's worth having spares anyway.

Not all valve amps need biasing after a change of valves. Just check the manual or with Peavey. Shouldn't be expensive even if it does

6. PeteG45

PeteG45 Strat-O-Master

The noise seems to be gone and the tone is good so I'm going to sit tight for now. The manual didn't provide any service details so if it starts again I'll take it to a shop here in town.

7. PeteG45

PeteG45 Strat-O-Master

I stopped by the local amp guru's shop and spoke to Jon about my amp. As soon as I started to describe the sound he told me that he calls it 'filament rattle' and that it is usually a sign of a tube that is either broken, dying or defective. He suggested turning the amp on and then lightly tapping each of the tubes to see which tube is the problem. He said that it could be either a preamp tube or a power tube. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

8. CThiesUGP

CThiesUGP New Member!

wow I am having the same problem with my peavey valve king 100 head and this is After new tubes . I should try tapping the tubes maybe one of the new ones are defective.

9. PeteG45

PeteG45 Strat-O-Master

After messing around with it a bit I'm not convinced that it's the tubes. I think that it could be the tube retainers for the 12AX7 tubes. I dropped one onto the carpet during my testing and it made that same exact sound that I've been trying to identify. Does the head version use the little can shaped retainers for the 12AX7 tubes?

10. PeteG45

PeteG45 Strat-O-Master

Just a thought. Does your head sit on top of your cabinet? If so move it off to reduce the vibration transmitted to the head and see if it still makes the noise.