1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Amp Output Question

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Cold Shot, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

Problem solved. It's not louder than my DSL, but it's definitely loud! The pre-amp tube in v1 and v2 were both loose. 1 more so than 2. Never had loose tubes before, so just looking like a dunce over here... o_O

Thanks for the help, fellas. NOW it is Marshall loud! No more n00b questions from me for a while. Promise!

The Strat Dude, Robins and ChrisD like this.
  2. HKStrat

HKStrat Strat-Talk Member

Most likely different speakers. My Plexi 38W running through a pair of Vintage 30s will get too loud to stand in front of. I switched to Greenbacks and it no longer gets as loud (however sounds much better IMO).
    Vintage 30s are a very efficient speaker, you can experience as much as a +3db sound pressure level when using them.

Cold Shot likes this.
  3. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

I'm actually looking at a 65W Creamback as a replacement.

The Strat Dude and tygr1 like this.
  4. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Just saw this post. Last time I was shopping for an amp, I played an Origin 50 and a DSL 40 almost side by side. There was no noticeable difference in volume. I could only get so loud and I got them both as loud as I dared, with room left over on both of them. I couldn't dime everything though.

Of course, I wasn't testing volume. But they would both go easily as loud as I'd ever need.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

It is indeed. +3dB is roughly twice the perceived loudness. Decibels are on a logarithmic scale, so the volume increase quite quickly as you move up the scale.

RobZ69 likes this.
  6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Actually a 3dB increase doubles the power, but it takes more like 10 dB for a human to say "that sounds about twice as loud".

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Yes, I had that backwards in my head. That's what I get for posting when I should be asleep...

Triple Jim likes this.
  8. Triple Jim

What's really amazing is it means that it takes about 10 times the power to sound about twice as loud. That means a 100w amp isn't even twice as loud as a 15w amp.

I can tell that my 5w '57 Princeton head turned up to blues crunch level, into a 2x12 closed back is louder than I want to stand in front of.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Well, about 4x the power according to the chart here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel
    I don't think it considers psychoacoustics though, a log scale would put it at 10dB for a 2x change in perceived volume.
    Still, it blew me away to learn that a change of 2 in amp power only gives 3dBA of noticeable change.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  10. Triple Jim

6dB is about four times. In the power column, the chart shows that 10dB increase is 10 times the power. That makes sense, since one dB is defined as 10 times the log10 of the power ratio.