Join Strat-Talk Today

Amp report: VoxAC15

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Morf2540, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

I have generally been happy with my two amps, which are a Peavey Classic 50 and Fender Blues Jr w/CRex speaker. But yesterday on a whim I bought a Vox AC15, which they had at GC (used) for $475. I had always heard a lot of good things about that amp, and it seemed like a good price, and I figured I could easily return it if I didn't like it. Having played it for several hours this weekend, all I have to say is: wow. The Vox really sounds amazing. It's very hard to put into words what it sounds like. Just much more present and alive and multi-textured. Sort of "three-dimensional," if that makes any sense. By comparison, the BJ sounds like it has a blanket over it, and Peavey just sounds... blah. The Vox sparkles. I had read where some people found it hard to dial in the right tone, but I did not find that to be the case. Just started out a noon, and tweaked a little. Some people say it's too bright, but I nudged the bass up (2:00) and nudged the treble down (10:00) and it sounds good. Left the tone cut way down (9:00). Haven't quite been able to get the real chunky sound that I get out of my BJ (CRex!!), but I figure if I fiddle with the settings on my pedals I can get close. The Vox has a Celestion Greenback, which might be due the credit for the sound. Very anxious for band rehearsal this week, to see how it cuts through. Overall, I just wanted to share my first impression, which is one of amazement. I had my heart set on a Princeton, but this thing cost half of the grand I would need to shell out for a PRRI. So that purchase may need to stay on the back burner for a while.

2. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Only a VOX sounds like a VOX.
    It has character.
    I always liked the AC15 for it´s character and unique sound.
    Congrats and enjoy!

Keep on rocking,
    Robin

The-Kid likes this.
  3. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

Cool beans .................. but without at least one pic we're going to withhold all :thumb:

4. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

Very heavy, though, for a 1x12. I have walk up about a zillion stairs to our rehearsal room.

The-Kid likes this.
  5. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

Those are nice. Congrats. An new AC10 followed me home last weekend. Very simple amp. Does everything I need it to. Super loud for just 10 watts. I'd probably just hurt myself with an AC15.

The-Kid likes this.
  6. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Glad you like it. I've been enjoying mine as well.

The-Kid likes this.
  7. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Enjoy.....the way you set it to avoid ice pickeness is the way I play it to but you will find with it crancked you would like to dial back the bass to 9 oclock and play with the treble on 2 to 3 oclock and either darken or brighten it up with the tone cut. This will also give you great surf tones witht the reverb up.

Also try the bass and trebble at 1/2 oclock and tone cut at 11 oclock. Magic sound. Master down and volume crancked. This really is a balacned setting. Use your volume for clean tones.

I love mine and was going to get a Deluxe Reverb but for the money found this to be a better amp. Had great cleans and verb better tremolo and handled mid to higher gain tone way better. Great Jazz and Clean tones. Amazing, no regrets.

Groovey likes this.
  8. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

I just got the AC10C1. The AC15 sounded very similar, so the weight difference is what swayed my decision. Mine gets played primarily with my church choir twice a week, so there is a lot of moving the amp around, thus my weight concern. It does seem to get any tone that I'm looking for, which was more than my BJ was capable of. And, it's louder than I expected. So, win win!!

The-Kid and TSims1 like this.
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

What is there to say? Great amps! Tried and true and awesome. Congrats!

The-Kid likes this.
  10. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Aaaargh! I really don't want another amp, but my CL has a Vox AC10C1 available for $345 and an AC15C1 for $375.

Now you guys are making me covet, darn you!!!

The-Kid likes this.
  11. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Get the 15

12. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

You're a bad influence.:p

13. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    What you've just described is the difference between a great amp and, well, everything else!

Don't give up on your other amps yet though...

I recently went through a number of speaker changes in my Fender Champion 600 reissue (AA764 based circuit) project and, once I finally found the perfect speaker to match it, this little amp was catapulted into the heavenly-tone zone!

It's was a fairly long process, but you can read about it here (long story short, I ended up with a 4ohm Jensen 12-70 MOD):

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/introducing-the-unofficial-fender-champtone-764.451131/

Anyway, it's sounds like you've finally found your holy-grail tone and I'm truly happy for you...

Congrats!

`

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    The-Kid likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.