Amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Colestrat, Jun 14, 2021.

1. mazzolar59

mazzolar59 Strat-Talker Silver Member

Deluxe (22 watts)has 6v6’s Pro Reverb (40 watts) has 6L6’s.

2. Colestrat

Colestrat Strat-Talker

I like the deluxe and I love the super pro or vibrolux seems like the middle ground but would rather have a pro

3. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

Hmmmm, with your list of requirements, you're not left with much. A bright switch, lots of head room, 12 inches, 40 or less watts. That leaves you with the Vibrolux. The Deluxe Reverb doesn't have a bright switch or a mid pot. And when I do play these amps I sometimes find myself wishing I could flip that switch or could adjust the mids...

But as others have mentioned, you can't go wrong with a good Super Reverb or Twin Reverb. One has 10 inch speakers, the other has 85 watts, but both have lots of headroom and that classic Fender clean tone.

Colestrat likes this.
  4. meat cheese meat

meat cheese meat Strat-Talk Member

If you like a classic blackface sound I recommend a couple boutique brands -
    Louis Electric or Allen Amplification. Both make fantastic-sounding blackface-style amps. Allen makes kits, too. There are other companies, too. Fender blackface re-issue models don't sound nearly as authentic / good as many boutique companies. Look into Headstrong amps. They used to specialize in blackface Princeton Reverb clones with a 12" option. They might have an amp that meets your wattage needs these days. For more clean blackface-type headroom check out the Dr. Z EZG-50. 50 loud watts.

If you want a good non-blackface Fender amp there's the Hot Rod Deville ML 2x12. ML = designed with Michael Landau. Intended as a moderately-priced clean platform for pedals. 60 loud watts. I heard him use them live about a month ago. Sounded great (but he always does regardless of gear).

Colestrat likes this.
  5. The Tortoise

The Tortoise Strat-Talk Member

The most often-overlooked Fender amp that pretty much has the best of everything without the typical drawbacks (not heavy like a Twin, more headroom than a Deluxe):
    The 1x12 Fender Concert. For some reason these fly under the radar (as evidenced by the fact nobody suggested one), but they sound fantastic. And it ticks EVERY box you were asking for. Yes, it has a pull bright on the channel one volume, plus you get that awesome Fender tube spring reverb and a real wood cab, not MDF. Classic Fender tone for days.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  6. CAR63

CAR63 Strat-Talker

The new Pro Reverb may be the way to go if it's in your price range , I've heard a lot of good reports on them .

7. jumpbluesdude

jumpbluesdude Strat-Talk Member

The tortoise beat me to it and he nailed it. The Concert is the amp you are describing. 1x12, 60 watts from 2 6l6s, much clean headroom. Here are things it has you aren’t asking for: it is a hand-wired PaulRivera designed amp, it has overdrive you can switch in, it’s under $1k leaving you $600 for the MIJ E series you should buy(I have 3 of them), and it’s as serviceable as any 60s Blackface Fender. It has the headroom you won’t get from a Deluxe and you won’t get sick of moving it like a twin. Also recommend a silverface Showman without a master volume. The showman is the only blackface era designed Fender amp I have played that didn’t have the bottom flub out.

Colestrat likes this.
  8. LilybugPapa

LilybugPapa Strat-Talk Member

Get a Twin reverb and a case with casters…. And sound baffling to protect the hearing of innocent bystanders

JB74 likes this.
  9. Stratobsessed

Stratobsessed Strat-Talker

Deluxe reverb is a good option. I quite enjoy the blues junior too

10. Colestrat

Colestrat Strat-Talker

I have a blues junior and I like it but it’s not the sound I want it’s not a bad sound it just doesn’t make me want to play it it doesn’t inspire me

11. Colestrat

Colestrat Strat-Talker

I’m gonna have to find a twin to play there’s an original 66 at the store I go to but it doesn’t sound good it has no character and it might be an inconsistent amp I’m not really sure but I played a 65 reissue and it sounded great I’m leaning towards an early 70s because it would still be hand wired and not a pcb board and I could always have a tech do the blackface mod to it

12. Colestrat

Colestrat Strat-Talker

The concert are you talking about the fender concert? And does it have built in reverb?

13. Colestrat

Colestrat Strat-Talker

I’ve seen some videos they seem cool I’m hoping my lock shop will have one in stock

14. Colestrat

Colestrat Strat-Talker

Damn that looks amazing now I have another amp to think about constantly lol XD