Ampeg vs. Fender Rumble.

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by Heavyriff, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Heavyriff

Heavyriff Strat-O-Master

In the practice range amps..ampeg 20 and 40 watt... Rumble 25 and 40 watt.... Anyone have owned these that could give me some usable info. I can't get to a store to try them out so maybe someone has. I don't care about gain in a bass amp. I'm looking at tone and volume while staying clean. The 40 watt versions of both seem to differ in that the rumble offers push button voices, more eq options, and is ported. The ampeg has a 3 band eq and a 60 degree tilt option. Also the rumble has an xlr out. Any thoughts?

3bolt79 and CigBurn like this.
  2. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

Check out the 25w Hartke HD. Loud AF and does not distort. 3 band EQ.

3bolt79, dirocyn and Heavyriff like this.
  3. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster

You can't go wrong with either the Fender or the Ampeg. While I don't own either of the models you are considering, I have heard and seen them both. They are both fine practice amps. It's really up to you with regard to the features. The XLR out may come in handy if you ever record, or decide to play in a band and then hook up to the PA.

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. CigBurn

CigBurn You should see the other guy. Strat-Talk Supporter

Been thinking about bass amps myself with the magical arrival of the "Exquisite Burning Fire Style Electric Bass Guitar" coming at any moment! **coughs**

I'm currently leaning toward the Rumble 40 or 100. I like that it can also do fairly well with strats.

I mean really, I can dig that tone.

Miotch likes this.
  5. Hugh

Hugh Got Punch ? Strat-Talk Supporter

I have the 20 watt Ampeg and chose it over the Rumble because of the tiltback feature. I can see the controls better when I tilt it. And hear it better as well.

Tilt the Rumble on a tilt stand and the controls disappear. I hate top mount controls, especially when they put them on the rear.

Run a Broughton HPF with any low watt bass amp that has an 8 inch speaker. Protects the speaker and maximizes your headroom.

3bolt79, johnnymg and Heavyriff like this.
  6. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Believe it or not, the Rumble 200 is a pretty good pedal platform for guitar work.

fretlessart, 3bolt79 and CigBurn like this.
  7. RetVet2018

RetVet2018 Strat-Talk Member

You could always save a bit more money and go for the Ampeg SVT Micro VR. It’s a nice little setup. Or the less expensive Micro CL.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. mapleglo

I can speak to the Micro VR.

MicroVRStack.jpg

It sound great with both bass and guitar, and in fact, I bring the head as a backup to pretty much every gig I play.

3bolt79 and RetVet2018 like this.
  9. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

Outside of the classic Ampeg svt (which is the ultimate tone to me) I haven't been impressed with any of thier newer amps. The fenders sound good but I've never heard one in person.

My bassist loves his hartkes for practice, and sometimes will even bring a 4x10 combo to gigs. Thing sounds incredible, his other gigging amp is a mesa amp with an 8x10 cabinet.

Trace elliot also used to make some killer stuff.

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. bbbart

bbbart Strat-Talker

I like Rumble

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. Rattlesnakedaddy

Rattlesnakedaddy Strat-Talk Member

I'm not sure if you've picked an amp yet, but I own one of the older Ampeg BA-108 amps. I find it just fine for a nice small practice amp, especially for the money. I don't have any experience with the Fender.

RSD

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I have the Rumble 40 and have no complaints.

bbarott and 3bolt79 like this.
  13. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

my dad has both....and uses both depending on what he feels like grabbing that day.
    i have an older rumble and it sounds good.
    so as far as the sound goes, either one is fine.
    you just have to decide what other features you like.

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

I have an Eden EC8 20 watt. I like Eden stuff, but probably would not recommend, just too puny to do anything with but practice. I use to have a 40 watt Traynor combo that was great for acoustic coffee house / community hall stuff, but I sold it, oops. Been thinking about scoring a different practice unit myself, especially since I got the Mustang short scale and have been dinking around with bass a bit more. Here is my regular bass set-up, which sounds killer but is too much for acoustic stuff, church, etc, and heavier to lug around than I want to do on a regular basis -
    d.JPG

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Started on Peavey for bass and stuck with that for a long time. Only Fender bass amp I ever had was super heavy and sound kind of pooey. Looked kind of neat, cab was made in Brea, head in Japan -

1.JPG DSCF5331.JPG

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  16. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

That's a mystery. It looks *almost* identical to a Fender Bassman Compact amp, SS, 50 Watts, MV, effects loop, early 80s. The Compact was made in the USA and there's no evidence that it came in head form. I don't know what that thing is.

17. Heavyriff

Heavyriff Strat-O-Master

As suggested above I am looking at the Hartke hd50. Anyone got any experience with that one. Straight forward controls, no overdrive, good 10" speaker and supposedly built very well.

18. Hanson

Hanson Strat-Talker

These Ampeg Micros sound really nice when I have demoed them up at GC. I’m thinking about picking one up sometime.

I’m currently down to just one Bass rig, a 500w Mark Bass head and 410.

mapleglo likes this.
  19. mapleglo

Before I bought my Orange rig, I was trying out a few of those Mark Bass rigs at GC. I was not impressed. Though I have a very good friend whose opinion I trust, who has one that he uses to gig. I suppose which rigs are good for which people varies.

I used the Micro VR stack to gig once. I didn't think it was able to handle it very well. I used to use it as my main rig, though at that time I was playing a 4 string. By the time I tried to gig with it, I had switched exclusively to 5 string basses. I had to go through the PA and I just used the Micro VR stack as a stage monitor. We are not a very loud band either.

With a 4 string bass, as a medium duty setup, it sounds great. It won't fill a venue though. On the other hand, I think that's mostly because of the cabs. I've used that head with a 4x10 Ampeg cab and my old SVT cab, and it rocked with either. Totally giggle. As it is, I use it mostly as a practice amp.

20. Hanson

Hanson Strat-Talker

When I bought the Mark Bass, I was torn between it and a 500w Portastudio. I was reading on Talk Bass about lots of folks having issues with the Portastudios, so I eventually chose the Big Bang Mark Bass. I wanted a really potable unit to use at Church with our worship band. I can basically leave the cabinet there from week to week and throw the MB in a back pack.

Now, having had it for almost 4 years, our Church has moved to IEM and has tried to move all amps off stage. It really hasn’t worked because both guitar players still use their tube amps anyway.

I basically use my rig as you mentioned, as monitors for on stage, for me to hear. My rig goes Direct In to the PA and is controlled by the sound board operator. I have my volume just load enough for me to hear it. Sometimes I will use IEMs but really still prefer to hear the live kick and snare and lock into them.

My guess is that the Ampeg Micro would probably be plenty for me in this situation.

mapleglo likes this.