Join Strat-Talk Today

An actually decent place to buy used guitars?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by StratGuy4692, Sep 2, 2018.

1. StratGuy4692

StratGuy4692 Strat-O-Master

Title sums it up and I apologize if this is the wrong place for this but overall it encompasses the love of our lives.. the stratocaster. Ok so what actually is a good place to buy used guitars online? Reverb seems good but then the seller charges so much for shipping that the $320 "deal" your getting on a used MIM or lets just say CV isn't such a good deal afterall IE guitar is 320 and shipping is an extra $60 Guitar Center has great deals most of the time but its really hard to find exactly what you want in my experience. I've heard Musician's Friend is good but I only see them selling open box guitars not used. I checked Craigslist in my area and cant travel far but locally no one is really selling anything near me. In your experiences where have you guys/gals found actual good deals on instruments?

2. tmcgee

tmcgee Strat-O-Master

$60 is actually what it costs to ship a guitar, Guitar Center and Musician's Friend is the same company. Check out FB marketplace.

riles1 likes this.
  3. StratGuy4692

interesting! I did not know this!

4. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-Talker

I buy used guitars on eBay and Reverb.

5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Craigslist is the cheapest place to buy, since there's no seller fees or shipping.

Get your money ready and start checking every five minutes like the rest of us do. ;)

6. StratGuy4692

haha! good one.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  7. Bigdogdaddy

Bigdogdaddy Strat-O-Master

I put an ad on craigslist and advertised I was buying used guitar parts and scored a 2004 American Standard Deluxe strat for 600 and have had several offers for great guitars. You gotta have the cash ready. I also bought a used mim Strat with hard case for 300 from a guy that needed money, sold it a week later for 450. I was happy, he was thrilled with it and still is a month later. Of course, I did a little setup on it.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Cash talks bigtime on Craigslist, since most people don't accept credit cards.

Hardly anyone has any cash. I've gotten incredible deals, like a Gibson ES335 flametop for $1000.

9. Bigdogdaddy

I'm also picking this up tomorrow for 350 with hard case. Of course, I scored it off of FB. 40298076_959049717636370_4334917200591716352_n.jpg

10. StratGuy4692

thats really the luck and price i'm hoping for but no one locally to me is selling guitars and I'm disabled so i cant travel far. Thats a beauty!!

11. riles1

riles1 Strat-Talker

I know I'm not in USA and cant really comment. But Ebay is a rip, in Aus.

Market place is usually best place to find a good deal/little more desperate sellers. Do you guys have Gumtree there? That's our number one classified.

12. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Four good things about buying locally on CL/OfferUp/Facebook group-marketplace
    - you can usually play & properly evaluate the guitar
    - no shipping cost
    - no sales tax
    - sale price is usually pretty good and if not you've had a chance to play it in person so you can feel good about walking away

Ebay...you can sometimes steal one, but it's tough to do
    - picked up a MIM standard, sorta grimy but still decent looking for $170, good cleanup, setup, a couple pickup enhancements, sold $340
    - picked up a very clean Squire Affinity Tele for $75, played it awhile, sold it locally for $130

Reverb
    - the options above you may be dealing with uneducated, uninterested, or hard-up-for-money sellers so the gear may be in interesting shape when you get to it. Reverb sellers usually know what's up and charge like they know what's

altar likes this.
  13. Bigdogdaddy

The guy got hold of me on that blue mim I posted earlier. I have to drive about 25 more miles but he knocked 50 off of it, so I get it for 300 with hard case. Heck of a deal IMHO

Namelyguitar and joe_cpwe like this.
  14. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

There is actually no one price for shipping a guitar. The cost is based on the shipping company, the dimensions, the destination, quickness of shipment and weight. I’ve shipped quite a few guitars and it’s never cost $60, so $60 seems to be on the high end.

15. BornToLooze

BornToLooze New Member!

I've had a couple that were more than that, but they were Explorer/Flying Vs that were quite a bit bigger than your average guitar.

16. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    I've shipped hundreds of guitars and rarely pay more than about $35. I'm fortunate though to live in the middle of the country so I'm never shipping 3000 miles.

StratPlus97 and Nadnitram like this.
  17. TomH8

TomH8 Senior Stratmaster

Does that include insurance? What is your preferred shipper? I’ve shipped at least a dozen and I’ve used FedEx and usps. It always seems to come out to $40-70

18. AncientAx

AncientAx Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Do you have a Music Go Round in your area ? My local one is a great little shop . Decent prices and gets some pretty good stuff in !

joe_cpwe likes this.
  19. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

Give Cream City Music a try. They're in Milwaukee, they advertise free shipping, although I always just go in since they're only an hour away from me.

These are great people and a great store. They normally have a great selection of new and used gear. They have always worked with me on price as well.

They advertise all their new equipment and "better" used stuff, but I recommend contacting the store because sometimes they will have items that aren't listed on the website.

https://www.creamcitymusic.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.036...KZ7Nfyj0zrsJCsKpgew0y8zSt!2e10!7i11232!8i5616

Happy shopping!

20. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Check Guitar Center online. I've heard they will ship between stores, which can be good news if you live in Bumpass, VA, and the guitar you like is in Humptulips, WA. Maybe someone with more GC knowledge can confirm or deny.

Wow, Wisconsin rocks! Literally!

Dave's music in LaCrosse seems to have pretty fair prices. I've never purchased any gear from them, but I have bought several of their tee-shirts. The staff is excellent to deal with over the phone. If they're that helpful for a $10 shirt, I imagine that bodes well for larger items.

Artunes likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.