An old fart question…

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stevn, Jun 18, 2021.

1. chuck dale

chuck dale New Member!

Relics feel better- You can bet the top players don't sit around shining their guitars- I did when I was 13! lol

Cerb likes this.
  2. FunkyMunky71

FunkyMunky71 New Member!

What about artist reproduction guitars that are reilced to look like whichever artist’s favourite guitar it is?
    When I saw the first reliced Strats come out I thought they were awful (I think they got better at it over time) but then I ended up getting a Rory Gallagher Strat a few years ago! I used to always try to keep guitars pristine and hated getting the slightest scratch in them, but I love that Strat, it’s the best felling guitar I own, the bare wood on the neck and arm area is great in hot sweaty gigs and I don’t think I’d get that kind of wear in a million years of playing. Plus, any dings just fade into the background. Do Fender make a totally sanded down guitar? I think I’d love an N4 for similar reasons.

pn8830 likes this.
  3. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

To each their own of course. My hope is to have my guitar look brand new forever.

Stevn and pn8830 like this.
  4. Gonflyn

Gonflyn Strat-Talker

I hate to be judgemental but.........
    Motherchucker that's ugly.

Stevn likes this.
  5. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Don’t worry fender custom shop only reissues guitars people actually wanted.

6. Intune

Your so lost in the sauce you’re quoting yourself!!! Man relics are stupid.

7. pn8830

pn8830 Strat-Talker

I'm probably a little late to the party but I will take a stab at it anyway. I think that guitar relicing evolved into an art form. There is painting which is an art of addition and sculpture which is the art of subtraction. Of course it is a stretch but creating relic guitars is somewhat of a sculpture to me. No one would say that making a statue of a rock is destroying a perfect finish that could be used for a different purpose (I'm a huge fan of stonework in general). So you take away parts that you think need to be removed and the result is an artwork. It can be good or bad, some people will like it and others will say it isn't their thing. Bottom line is that if it make someone want to play guitar more it's a good thing.

Mikeylefty, Stevn and Intune like this.
  8. StratifyMe

StratifyMe Strat-Talk Member

I’m not going there! I was chastised already. But for what it’s worth, everything I own looks like it just came out of the box. Shiny and blemish free.

9. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Strat-Talk Member

What if you’re an inbetweener? I like a guitar that isn’t relic’d but I don’t sweat it if it gets worn from being played?

chas3rd, Ebidis, Roger66 and 3 others like this.
  10. Intune

What’s funny though is there’s nothing at a wrong with that. You like shiny and new I like old and gross. It’s a look and neither is right, wrong, stupid, poser like, fooling someone, etc. It’s a look and we all have different tastes.

CigBurn likes this.
  11. pn8830

pn8830 Strat-Talker

This is actually a very good point. I like replicas of famous guitars, I think they inspire some people (me for example). I was actually looking to buy that guitar but decided it was out of my budget. People will argue that it's not real and all that stuff, but if you own a reproduction of Claude Monet no one will say that you have a painting that is not real. It's a reproduction, it will never be as valuable as the original however it was never intended to be.

Stevn likes this.
  12. pmoore

pmoore Strat-Talker

Why do people buy a Frankenstein guitar.......your not Eddie. And why do they make a Jimi Hendrix model with a reverse headstock and waterslide that is not upside down. That is not accurate.

13. Intune

Why does fender make reissues, fake relics, acoustics? People buy them.

14. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

This entire post...breaks the rules.

TROLLING:
    As in trolling for a fight. This is easy to see, but harder to explain. Posting an opposite opinion, in a determined stubborn way simply to start a fight. Here's an example: "What Stratocaster should I buy?" the troll at a Strat forum would respond "Don't buy a Stratocaster they are dumb, buy a Gibson Les Paul instead." Opposite opinions are NOT against the rules and are encouraged, but trolling for disagreement and arguments is against the rules of the page. Other common Troll topics at Strat-Talk have been: "Only Amercian Fenders are any good" "Expensive guitars are stupid," "Squiers ARE/ARE NOT real Fenders," and, of course, "Relic guitars are stupid and so are the guys that play them."

jd35801, Stephen James, Cerb and 2 others like this.
  15. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Marble and granite are always polished shiny and clean, I think.

Roger66 and pn8830 like this.
  16. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I think there's something in the water in Ventura County.

17. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

I never said that Fezz!
    I didn’t know it would result in a **** storm! Plus I never knew people were so sensitive about finishes.
    It actually rather puzzling. Instead saying “I like it because…” the answer is almost always, “up yours HATER!”
    I don’t hate anything except Russia and China! :thumb:

18. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Nah, I think the problem may be between my ears! Or behind my eyes!!

19. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

No you were more diplomatic than the poster I quoted above.

Just like mentioning Russia and China.

Veiled but obvious. That's political. And also against the rules.

I don't question what people like. I don't need or expect an explanation as to why they like it. They just do.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Stratoskater, Cerb and CigBurn like this.
  20. Intune

You seem to be a funny guy and that’s how you’re playing this. You also don’t seem stupid so don’t play this like you didn’t know this would happen. So weird a relic hater thread, people had different opinions?? Man that’s strange. Spin it however you like but this thread was and is the definition of Trolling