An Old Friend Returns!

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
Just caught up with a friend after a while and he brought round this 2008 Squire CV Telecaster for a bit of TLC. The pictures don't do it justice but it's been reliced the natural way through 14 years of constant play.

I'm going to get it back playable again as the frets need a dress, the neck adjusted, electrics cleaned etc. My friend and I agreed I'll clean it but not polish the chrome, again the rust and tarnishing looks natural.

I do love this guitar and have a sentimental attachment to it. Why? Well I bought it new in March 2009 (see photo) when the Classic Vibe line was a new thing. I was astounded by the quality of this guitar straight off the shelf. However, I sold it to my friend in 2011 for a pittence as he had no guitar at the time. He's loved it and played it all these years so I'm happy to help get her back playing again for him. Keep you posted as to progress. 20220727_161626.jpg 20220727_161722.jpg 20220727_161746.jpg 20220727_161814.jpg IMG-20210304-WA0000_111408892854966.jpg

Last edited:

YohanTheMan

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 3, 2020
Denmark
Lovely story and guitar Stu. It'll be great catching up with the old Tele, before it goes back to it's longtime owner.

I've gotta get my hands on a CV one day. I just love the tinted necks. Fender could learn a thing or two about that. Too many of their vintage style guitars are pale, which i don't like. Just my opinion of course.

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
Well I've started to take apart the Tele bit by bit. I forgot to mention previously my friend stayed in an old shalley in Cornwall right by the sea for a few years! Everything he owned got coated in salt air. A lot of rusty screws to deal with. Flushed out the machineheads with naptha and left to soak for a while. After an hour rook them out and flushed again. Think they're knackered as the the solution in the jar was full of debris and was a lovely rust colour. Totally loose now, we'll see how they firm up with a bit of grease. The holes in the headstock appear to be blown as if they've been exposed to moisture. Will need to sort them. Started work on the bridge totally rusted up as well so screws, saddles and springs soaking in a bath of WD 40. One of the intonation screws is bent, God knows how? 90% of the screws on this guitar will have to be tossed, totally rusty. 20220727_184631.jpg 20220727_184725.jpg 20220727_184706.jpg
Yuck! 🤢.

Last edited:

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
Don't know if they sell this on your side of the pond but it works well on rust. I buy it at the auto parts store here. View attachment 580244
Thanks but unfortunately some of the screws are rusted beyond being useable. To be honest I've been lucky to get a few out as the heads crumbled to dust on a few andI had to drill them out and use a screw remover. Told my friend that salt air and guitars are nit a good combo. ☹

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
Lovely story and guitar Stu. It'll be great catching up with the old Tele, before it goes back to it's longtime owner.

I've gotta get my hands on a CV one day. I just love the tinted necks. Fender could learn a thing or two about that. Too many of their vintage style guitars are pale, which i don't like. Just my opinion of course.
Agreed, however I've found some of the newer CV necks are overdone. They look like they've had a bad spray tan. 🤣

wooders

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 19, 2021
Kent
That's a cool story. Even better that your pal got a guitar that he's loved and played relentlessly. Got to love posts like this.

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
So spent the morning cleaning the neck. Yuck, a forensic DNA nightmare. 🤢 Came up nice though Frets needed a good clean. Really pitted all up the neck though. Think it may need more than a dress of the frets. Machine heads all cleaned and re-greased. I make my own lube from vaseline and very fine graphite powder. Should be good for a few more years. Need to sort the back of the headstock.
20220728_123133.jpg 20220728_123158.jpg 20220728_123232.jpg 20220728_123255.jpg 20220728_123331.jpg

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
Great work, I love CVs as most of y’all will know. I have that very same tele and the only thing I’d need to do to make it perfect again is a refret- I had them levelled and dressed, but it’s just too little material left for me! If you should go for a refret on this, I’d be very interested in seeing some pics:)

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
Great work, I love CVs as most of y’all will know. I have that very same tele and the only thing I’d need to do to make it perfect again is a refret- I had them levelled and dressed, but it’s just too little material left for me! If you should go for a refret on this, I’d be very interested in seeing some pics:)
I know your a huge fan @FrieAsABird. 😉 The frets are 50/50 at the moment I think. Might need to consult my normal tech regarding a re-fret but my friend has factored that in or potentially or a new neck. I'd rather he saves this one but we'll see. 🙂

BluesForDan

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 2, 2008
southern NH
that's the same year as mine, I've owned it since new. I've worn the frets down quite a bit, it may be the first guitar I've ever had that needs a re-fret. People tell me I have enough material left for a level/crown. I don't know. I'm sure a new (at least to me) neck would be cheaper but the neck was what drew me to the guitar.

OP - [email protected] holes in headstock. Might be a candidate for a plug and redrill. And yeah, how does one bend an intonation screw like that? If you refret it, I'd like to know how it goes.

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
Had to drill the holes to 3mm to allow me to cleanly dowel the holes. There a fair bit of chipping of the finish as well but a bit of clear nail polish should sort and help to stablise it so it doesn't chip more. Will be hidden by the machineheads anyway. Body next remove the guard for a good clean. The body seems to have faded somewhat with age. 🙂
20220728_151027.jpg 20220728_153747.jpg

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
I'm finding that all of the screw holes have some black filth coming out of them. I've had to widen the all the holes to clear the crap and get to good wood. I would surmise it's moisture damage. As stated my friend lived right near the beach, his drum kit got totally affected with rust he was telling me and damp was a big issue in the shalley. Kinda figures I guess? 😐