Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Analog or Digital? Or Both? Who's running what with your Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jaymichaels, May 19, 2017 at 7:02 AM.

1. jaymichaels

jaymichaels Strat-Talk Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Tempe,AZ
    I run an all analog signal, just curious what others are running and why? IMG_4938.JPG

fender68 likes this.
  2. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Florida
    My TC delay, chorus and reverb are digital. But, TC makes really good digital devices, so they sound great. The rest of the board is analog.

fender68 likes this.
  3. Stratopat

Stratopat Strat-Talk Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I struggled for years to find a good setup. I love Fender cleans and Marshall means. In the end, I have settled on a Digitech GSP1101 rack preamp into a Mesa Boogie 50/50 tube power amp. I have that hooked to 2 212 cabs in stereo with a Greenback and Vintage 30 in each. People complain about digital effects, and they are no substitute for a nice tube amp, but if you work at it,you can get pretty close. I've had an Avid 11 rack and a Line 6, preferred the older Digitech to both. But as they say, tone is subjective.

rack.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 8:43 PM
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Yo,

Where I live at the moment, I'm running an ME-70 through a 500-watt Behringer PA system, & I'm extremely surprised & pleased with the results.

My regular rig is a Tube-Works RT-2100 4 x 10 combo, & all I run in it is my guitar(s).

Ciao,

Rastus

Tube ToneChaser likes this.
  6. the dark sailor

the dark sailor Strat-O-Master

Dec 18, 2008
    south jersey
    I believe I'm analog all the way. Guitar-klone-MGv4-TS-big muff-EB volume ped-memory man-holy grail-Mr black eterna gold into VR, Pro R, BD.
    It sounds good to me.

7. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2010
    kentucky
    Its all good.

I'm 95% Analog, but use a Fractal FX8 for grab and go, with a 2001 Fender Cyber Twin.. But my main amps iare 100% Analog pedals.

Some of my MOOG pedals do have MIDI, but the effect, signal path, is analog.

Yogi likes this.
  8. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-Talker

Oct 18, 2016
    Minnesota USA
    '
    My Mesa Boogie TransAtlantic TA-15 and TA-30 analog tube amps are all I need 99.9% of the time - with the occasional effect to spice things up every once in a great while (most of which are analog as well)...

IMG_9962.JPG

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 9:15 AM
  9. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Thr cyber twin is so underrated. The twin and super reverb settings once tweaked a bit are my go to sounds.

mabley123 likes this.
  10. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Strat-Talker

Oct 18, 2016
    Minnesota USA
    '
    I have to admit that my little (battery powered) Mustang Mini (discontinued) sounds pretty good when plugged into an external speaker cabinet (you have to modify it to do this) and is super convenient when having to play somewhere with no power outlet.

'

11. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Strat-O-Master

Aug 22, 2015
    States
    I have few 80's Ibanez digital delays in the chain. If I like the sound I don't think about the analog / digital deal.

12. rorytheherb

rorytheherb Strat-Talk Member

May 14, 2017
    Bethesda, Maryland
    I wanted to be completely analog but there are some effects that aren't really available analog namely intelligent pitch shifting and reverb. I recently picked up a Big Sky. I wasn't planning on it, but opportunity struck and I got a good deal on it. I like the analog dry-through that Strymon does. I believe I would like my H9 Max a bit more if it too had dry-through.

Everything is analog except all the stuff that is digital LOL. I was stigmatized like a lot of people by the bad digital multi-fx of the 90's and beyond. They've come along way. That said, it's still better to have a direct unadulterated path from your fingertips to the air off your speakers, but I have begrudgingly given that up in favor of making outlandish noises!

13. Andy Wright

Andy Wright Strat-Talker

Jun 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Both. Why would anyone limit themselves? If it sounds good then use it. If it doesn't then don't use it. Who cares if it's analog or digital. I use the following

View attachment 230188

14. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Strat-O-Master

Aug 30, 2010
    scottsville ny usa
    currently all analog. i only use a few (4) of pedals and all are analog into a tube amp. or for recording it's all digital as that is just plain easier. for that i use a Line 6 POD bean.

15. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    This is my pedal board, all analog.
    EDEC44F9-A6A0-4B8C-AE36-67A0815E5EA0_zps1ji5jfmg.jpg

At home I run it into this, with excellent results.
    IMG_1136.JPG

At band practice I run it into this, once again all analog. It's only a 5 watt head, but it's loud enough to keep up with drums, bass and 2nd guitar. I use this for band practice because I can just leave it in the practice room, then I don't have to lug an amp back and forth.

fullsizeoutput_67.jpeg

16. Tube ToneChaser

Tube ToneChaser Strat-Talker

Mar 30, 2017
    South Carolina; USA
    1495301960272.jpg 1495302724798.jpg
    Images of some of the effects I use. ALL of it (obviously) older gear. Lots of the "hard to find" sound patches; Most I customized myself. Sometimes I only use the Pedalboard; if I use the Rack, I switch it via MIDI. Can also use the Pedalboard as a MIDI Switcher. Use depends on choice of Amp(s)- Tube or Solid State.( I use Vintage Tube Amps mostly). Size of venue, song list, etc. are also factors in deciding what to use. Btw, sorry for the Pedalboard "mess"! This was taken in my Music Room at home. On-stage setup would be MUCH neater! I also have another rack. (not pictured).

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit If Guinness be the food of life, pour on. Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Fortress Yorkshire

fezz parka and Tube ToneChaser like this.
  18. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I think a firmware update will help with the crunch/drive setting.

Tube ToneChaser and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  19. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    i guess im running both....this pedalboard through either a vox ac30 or ac4, but when i practice in my room i use a pod hd500x through the power section only of a spider III.
    pedlboard-1.jpg
    IMG_20170411_185355.jpg

20. Tube ToneChaser

Tube ToneChaser Strat-Talker

Mar 30, 2017
    South Carolina; USA
    ...so It's Digital Effects & Vintage Tube Amps for me, most of the time. It REALLY comes down to WHAT SOUNDS GOOD.