And I was hoping to be out of the woods by now!!!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Believer7713, Jul 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

This is the case of my cousin. she cannot take the immunization due to medical reasons and is now in the hospital with the disease.

I also agree that shutting down everything would be a bad idea. I believe it was in the first place. I could go on and on about what it all did to us here but I would just be preaching to the choir as it did it to everyone everywhere.

I also will follow the ordinances that are in place. I have no problem doing that but my complaint is that here we are with a way to start to control this virus and there are so many people here that, for whatever reason, will not comply at all. I see it with the vaccine...people making stupid claims about it and wanting to believe some of the most ridiculous conspiracy theories that I have ever heard. Refusing to mask up and claiming that it is a violation of rights. Blah Blah Blah.

I have no problem keeping my distance. I have no problem wearing a mask to help those that can't help themselves or cannot get the vaccination. Yes I do believe that freedom is not free and my rights are not all inclusive but neither are other people's rights.

There are those that will say that it is our duty to continue to wear a mask to stop the spread of this disease. So it should be the duty of the rest, who can, to take the immunization. If one can get it then they should, IMHO. My peace of mind that I am 95% sure that I will not get sick from it is worth the 16 hours that I felt like crap after the second shot. It was worth it to my wife who didn't feel any side effects other than a stiff shoulder like it was a flu shot. Hell, here in Missouri, They can't even pay people to take the shot...and they are trying to.

What I meant by saying I was hoping to be out of the woods by now is we have had a vaccination in abundance for about a half a year...that is free here in the States, and there are still those that want to irresponsibly trample on the rights of the rest that are trying to be responsible. Then scream that their rights are being infringed upon by being forced to wear a mask.

Before anyone thinks I am trying to preach here I am also talking about my parents and only sibling. Whom I do love dearly but cannot see because we do not see eye to eye. I was really hoping to be able to live a somewhat normal life in THAT arena by now. But It doesn't look like that will happen any time soon so I guess I will have to continue to be the bad guy in the family because I need to be the reasonable one.

Sorry for going off on my little tangent here and thank you for anyone that took the time to read it. I'm just really frustrated and hurting right now and I am sorry if my ranting offended anyone.

3. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

I've been in hermit mode so long now, when people try to talk to me all I do is grunt and screech.

Gonna be a longgggg winter I think.

4. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

The world is choc-full of Protons, Neutrons, Electrons and Morons. Mostly the latter.

I wouldn't get too upset about the latter. They are there to drain your life and try to make it miserable.

learn to say Fk em and go and live your life without even contemplating the morons.

5. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Yeah we actually could eradicate the Covid-19 virus.
    Could, if everyone made the effort

6. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

It's happening everywhere, at least in areas with low vaccination rates and big outbreaks of the Delta Variant. In my state (PA), there are only a few counties with enough of an outbreak to require indoor masking for vaccinated folks. I live in one of the Philly collar counties, which are heavily vaccinated and with very little outbreak at the moment, so I guess we're still OK going maskless, but I have a medical procedure coming up next week that I don't want anything to get in the way of, so I'm masking out of an abundance of caution. Once I'm past that, I expect to stop masking until and unless our cover rates pick up to the extent we're told we need to. At which point, I'll do it, but more for the unvaccinated folks than for myself. I wish people would just freaking get this done - it will make it easier on them and everyone else. My quality of life has been immeasurably better since I got the vax and could stop thinking about what I could and couldn't do where. And because my phone now gets to see and recognize my face when I'm in stores, which makes daily life easier in a bunch of very small and insignificant ways, but they add up.

But while the mask guidelines have changed everywhere, it seems like Florida, Arkansas, and Missouri are the states mentioned most often as having the worst outbreaks at the moment, so not surprised you're subject to it in KC. I expect that'll be a moving target as this variant takes hold and, hopefully, as more people get vaccinated and slow it's spread.

-Ray

Believer7713 likes this.
  7. telepraise

telepraise Strat-O-Master

Best wishes on your procedure next week Ray, stay well friend!

8. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

Yes. Speaking for the US, it seems that despite only about 50% being vaccinated, hospitals are not overrun from the delta variant, which i view as a positive. I know people are upset about the 50% number, but it seems to be providing enough herd immunity in the US to keep the hospitals functional. Other countries, not so much. We are hoarding vaccines and trying to force healthy people in the US who don’t want it to take them, while other counties don’t have vaccines for people in danger and live in a place without the hospital capacity and technology in the U.S.

I may get grief for this, but I don’t think that’s right. The time has come to send the vaccines to countries that need them more than the US and have people who actually want to take them. We had our chance and if passing on the vaccine turns out to be a mistake, it’s in us. No need to deny vaccines to people who really want and need them, just because they don’t live in our country.

Either way, some people are vulnerable to the virus in the US and cannot get the vaccine, some of them are children. So, I don’t see a reason why we wouldn’t continue to social distance and wear a mask (those vaccinated and those not) for their sake until this is over. It may take a few years, but it will end. Spanish Flu eventually ended when there wasn’t even an influenza vaccine available at the time. No one wants to hear this, but it’s going to take time to protect everyone, no way around it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  9. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

What I don't get are the people who claim "my immune system has done fine for me until now. Why do I need the vaccine? No thanks. My immune system is blah blah blah"

Based on the fact that they haven't had it.

Anybody else see the huge disconnect there?

10. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-O-Master

No kidding! Read my post again please. I made it 100% clear I understood that.

Believer7713 likes this.
  11. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Those people haven't figured out that regardless of how awesome their immunity system might be, it doesn't know how to fight an intruder that it can't see, that it doesn't even recognize.

12. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

I think a well done Guy's is in order in view of the fact we have got to 6 pages on a subject that is very emotive and all have shown restraint, just goes to show what a great bunch you are on ST, long may it prevail.
    In 3 months from now the OP's original wish will probably/hopefully become a fact.

13. Believer7713

I was thinking much the same thing this morning when I mad my last post here. I have been really proud of this group for not letting it get nasty and for those that have been more than cordial in how they have handled the couple posts that could have derailed it.

Andrew Wasson and ukoldgit like this.
  14. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Well, first, depends on WHERE in the US. Some low vax states are having their hospitals pretty well overrun with Covid patients, making it tough for folks with other problems to get beds. Parts of Missouri and Arkansas lately, no doubt with more to follow. But one of the reasons it hasn't been far worse, is the the vaccination rates for the most vulnerable populations, the really old folks, 70 or 75 and older are vaccinated at FAR higher percentages. They're the people most likely to show up in hospitals and most likely to die, but they've mostly been smart enough to get vaccinated as soon as they could. I'm not in that age group, but got the vax as soon as I could, back in March. The scary thing is that where the hospitals are filling up with Covid patients now, it's among much younger people, folks in their 30s, 40s, and 50s, who were mostly not getting all that sick with the first virus, but who are getting nailed by the Delta. Both because it's far more contagious and somewhat more deadly, from what I've read.

I agree with you that we should be trying to get as many vaccines to the rest of the world as we can, but I'm not optimistic. I was listening to a couple of epidemiologists on the radio this morning who aren't either. Developed western nations have done reasonably well with vaccinations, but the rest of the world is functionally near zero, with less than 5 or 10 percent of populations vaccinated. New variants are going to mutate and it's only a matter of time until one or more come around that are totally resistant to the existing vaccines, and then we're probably back to square one, hiding out while scientists come up with new vaccines, which they'll do miraculously well and fast, but really hard to say how much more dislocations western societies can handle as future waves of this thing come at us.

-Ray

15. Exhead

Exhead Strat-Tinkerer Gold Supporting Member

I look at the world and the idiocy therein and just....

[​IMG]

16. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I know; I'm sitting here on the other side of the state line in Overland Park KS - I think that vax rate of 38% is just for Jackson CO MO; we're at 50% here in Johnson CO KS, but all the other counties around us are below 38% (seems like Wyandott CO KS is way, way low). The KC metro is just so spread out, and every city and county makes their own rules - as of right now (2:40PM CDT) the mandate has not been restored in Johnson County KS, but our officials are meeting tonight and I expect one to return.

Believer7713 likes this.
  17. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

I’m tired of Covid. Either get vaccinated or get Covid please, one or the other(maybe both?) and hurry up about it so this will all be over. Please, I just want normal back, or as close to it as possible.

StratoMutt likes this.
  18. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

19. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Everyone needs to get vaccinated unless there's a medical reason not to. It's about public health - even if you don't care about your own.

20. Believer7713

Actually, Jackson County is laughably low...actually no laughing matter but hopefully the point is taken.
    Screenshot_20210729-155846_Chrome.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.