And I was hoping to be out of the woods by now!!!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Believer7713, Jul 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

The 2 greatest discoveries of modern medicine, those that saved the most lives , still are antibiotics and vaccines

Andrew Wasson, bsman and surfnturf like this.
  2. Joe R

Joe R Strat-Talk Member

You are 100% correct. COVID-19 has had a huge resurgence. I'm in Vermont, which supposedly has the lowest infection rate in the country, and people are still wearing masks to go to the supermarket, etc. I know we are. That means that musicians are STILL gonna have a rotten time trying to make ends meet. The only thing I can think of is creating or sponsoring outdoor concerts. Club work has dried up. I strongly advise everyone to not despair. We WILL get through this, and our music is the best way of coping with this tragedy. Now is NOT the time to relax and go unprotected.

3. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

I lived on the east side (Bell) when I was at KUMC finishing up.
    Since "Goob" isn't political or derogatory in any way, let's just all agree we are fans of the Andy Griffith Show :rolleyes:.
    Stay safe and thanks for your service.....

Proud to be a "Goob" that escaped Kansas

Believer7713 likes this.
  4. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

You went to KUMC?!?!?!

What a small world!! My wife works as the H.I.M. in the stroke program there. They are on their last day of the TJC sight visit today. So far, prayerfully, they will get a better grade than last time. Last time was a great visit with only three marks against them but they really want to do better this time. The last couple weeks had been pretty busy for her making sure all the info was correct, up to date and ready to present. I really couldn't be more proud of her...other than to say that I am just super blessed to have her as my wife.:):)

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  5. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

Back in the dark ages....1980, finishing up rotations for KU Pharmacy School.
    I retired from full time hospital pharmacy practice this April. Still working 3 or 4 days a month
    In NW Arkansas and SW Missouri facilities.
    My old facility just went thru their TJC survey a couple months after I retired from Director position.
    won't miss those in the future one tiny bit.

Believer7713 likes this.
  6. Believer7713

Plus even the mods have said that talking about it is ok here since it is relevant to all of us. We just need to keep it civil while not delving into the ST Taboos.

https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/corona-virus-threads.536192/

7. bsman

bsman Senior Stratmaster

...and don't forget DDT! Its widespread use (although leading to some unfortunate environmental consequences) reduced the transmission of many diseases born by insect vectors that have historically been the most deadly threats to humans. Hope that someday we can find an alternative that is more narrowly targeted and with the same effectiveness.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    GitGeek likes this.
  8. GitGeek

GitGeek Livin' After Midnight Silver Member

Holy shi!! My brother and I spilled a concentrated bottle of it all over the kitchen and ourselves in the mid 70's.

We couldn't/didn't shower after, mom kicked us out of the house the moment it happened. We walked to the local high school basketball game. Wondered why no one sat near us. Smelled like a toxic sewer for a couple days after. She didn't forgive us for a long while. That stuff is nasty!

No wonder its now outlawed, and I'm virus free :D

9. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

I'm wearing a mask pretty much everywhere, despite having been vaccinated most of this year. That will continue, for now.

I was looking at the list of immunizations offered by CostCo, and pretty much the only one that's become a political (and religious!) football is the one for Covid.

Seasonal Flu Vaccines for the Entire Family

Hepatitis A (Havrix)

Hepatitis B (Engerix-B)

Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B (Twinrix)

Human Papilloma Virus (Gardasil 9)

Meningitis (Menactra)

Pneumovax23®

Prevnar 13®

Shingles (Shingrix)

Tetanus, Diphtheria, Whooping Cough (Tdap) (Boostrix)

Silliness.

10. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

You and I are completely on the same page here and the rant is completely understandable.

Fortunately where I am, the vaccination rate is very high but I haven’t stopped wearing a mask when I go out. I’m double vaxxed but my immune system is broken so I doubt I have adequate antibodies. If they offer me a booster, I’ll take it for sure. In the meantime, I’m wearing my damn mask and social distancing.

80% here have a single vaccination and somewhere higher than 65% have been double vaccinated. It helps because something like 96% of new cases are unvaccinated and those who have been vaccinated fare much better than the unvaccinated.

We had 204 new infections in the last 24 hours with a population of 5 million. It’s up from last week substantially but it’s nothing like the rate in early spring this year where were were north of 1000 new per day.

Believer7713 likes this.
  11. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

Masks don't need to be 100% effective. One interesting factoid is that, thanks to masks and social distancing, flu transmission this season has been remarkably low.
    And vaccines have already proven to reduce both transmission and severity. Most of the serious hospitalizations and deaths (something like 97%) are among unvaccinated people. We may have some variant of Covid with us forever, but it's obvious that we now have the ability control and contain it.

henderman and Andrew Wasson like this.
  12. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

I think we're going to see more corporations insisting that their employees be vaccinated, or they don't work.
    The corporations don't want to experience shutdowns, either.

RL21980 likes this.
  13. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

Current "hotspot" maps show a swath right down the center of the US, including Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana. From there, Florida, of course, and Georgia is coming on with about a 200% increase. For some reason, Iowa is uniformly holding on, Nebraska seems to be doing really well.

RaySachs likes this.
  14. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

Read the lasted CDC guideline. They said the delta virus is contagious when indoors, even from vaccinated people, which is why they brought back the mask recommendation for vaccinated people.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

Obviously, the spread from a vaccinated person is still a significant risk or they wouldn’t suggest vaccinated people to wear masks. The vaccine does protect people once the get the virus, which I believe I said in my post (I’m not looking back) but I certainly did not refute that people with the vaccine are generally safe.

But, people with co-morbidities could still be at risk, even when they have the vaccine, which explains why there is a very low percentage of people who died from COVID even after being vaccinated. It doesn’t work for everyone.

Where do you get your info?

I’m just suggesting, wear a mask for a little while longer, at least indoors, to help those who can’t be 100% protected from COVID after being vaccinated, the people who cannot get the vaccine because if health reasons and kids with diseases or other health risks who are too young to be vaccinated.

is that too much to ask?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  15. Whitebeard

Whitebeard Strat-Talk Member

Unfortunately there are several million Americans that actually believe that the government is out to get them and is using COVID vaccination as a means of control. The "you can't tell me what to do with my body" crew are enabling COVID to spread again. Mask mandates are pretty much the only way to keep their COVID germs to themselves and to keep the ones who don't have it from getting it. Ignorant M.Fs.

16. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

I believe this statement is an example of disinformation.

When you exhale when it's cold outside, the water vapor in your breath condenses into lots of tiny droplets of liquid water and ice (solid water) that you can see in the air as a cloud, similar to fog.

Now while it is vapor condensed into tiny droplets, I believe there are many studies on infectious decease that demonstrate that infectious decease requires a large amount of particles to become infectious. The mask is not recommended to stop vapors with viral particle, but to stop large droplet of water that contains a guarantied amount of particle to make such droplet infectious. To me this is the equivalent of saying a screw driver is not a good tool because it can't let you put a nail in a board....

While I agree that wearing a mask is not 100% effective, I feel that broad statement like this tend to dismiss its importance and doesn't help anyone understanding the reasons for wearing one.

17. buzzword

buzzword Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

At this point unless you have a valid medical reason not to be vaxxed, you're simply not a team player and the kind of bad citizen any country would be happy to do without.

Don't get me wrong, I respect anyone's right to spend their final days on earth gasping for breath with their arms punctured by needles and tubes fed thru their nose or throat, but one of the things a govt is responsible for is public health policy and if that involves a temporary mask mandate or mandated vaccinations to eradicate disease and protect the populace (polio, chickenpox and now covid) so be it, it's a duty required to keep everyone healthy.

dbb541 and Andrew Wasson like this.
  18. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

i was just discussing how the "regular" cold and flu season seemed to not happen and i believe it has to be the use of the mask also.

i just feel the covid 19 is so aggressive that without a hazmat suit almost everyone is going to get it if exposed to it even a little bit.

Andrew Wasson and Believer7713 like this.
  19. Believer7713

take your Queues from this???:whistling:

henderman likes this.
  20. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

i agree i am no scientist and need to be careful with giving advice, can't deny that. i can see where it may sound as if i am saying "masks don't work" and i think we should wear a mask to help protect other [people from our spittle to slow the spread.

so my intent was to let people know that a basic mask is not by any means a covid krytonite because it is not 100% filtering anything.

Believer7713 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.