Join Strat-Talk Today

And so it begins.

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Strat Jacket, Jan 18, 2019.

1. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

When you do finish this project, it's going to be more your guitar than ever. This may end up being one really cool pre-cbs Strat, even if it's not one sought after by collectors, or rather b/c it's not for them, but for you.

I look forward to following this thread. Good luck!

Alan Crossley and Strat Jacket like this.
  2. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

Interesting thought! Funny thing is, I thought it was "my guitar" 40 years ago after the first resto. The guitar didn't change over 40 years, but apparently I did.:whistling:

Alan Crossley and knh555 like this.
  3. Strat Jacket

Project "Strat Jacket"-Stage I

Well, as most of you have deduced by now, Stage I involves the neck. To me, this is the most critical and important stage, as the neck is the most original part remaining and as a 'transitional' part, it spans the chasm between "pre-CBS" and "CBS". Since the guitar itself was clearly assembled late in '65 (CBS-era) it's not a true preBS instrument, but being a small headstock neck with a SEP 65 date code, the neck itself was clearly a leftover from the preBS era. Frankly, this is probably as close to owning a prebie as I will ever come, so I'll take it.:D
    A number of you have presented your views on what should be done with the neck. I truly appreciate this and am taking it all into consideration, but the lion's share of the decision will come from Dan Erlewine after he looks it over.
    Several friends and relatives have basically said I'm nuts to mail off a vintage neck to parts unknown to a guy I never met. ("Have you seen this guy's prices?!!! they ask) Well, Dan's reputation precedes him. I've been reading his stuff in Guitar Player magazine since the first resto back in the '70s, and the man knows his stuff. There's nobody I would rather entrust a vintage part to than Dan. And Dan has had his mitts on a lot of truly historic guitars. I trust his judgement implicitly.
    There will be a compromise between doing as little as possible to a vintage neck and making it play well. My hero Rory Gallagher once opined that a great neck on a so-so body makes a great guitar, but not the other way around. I tend to agree. So, getting this neck back to great playing condition is probably of utmost importance...even over the historical importance of leaving it untouched. In hindsight, I almost wish I hadn't bored the peghead oversized to install Schallers; but I did and what's done is done. Can't rewind the clock, and frankly, the Schallers are a fantastic upgrade from the Kluson crap that came with it, regardless of whether that makes collectors swoon. Facts is facts.
    So, I'm not gonna go all hog-wild on the neck, but I will do what needs to be done taking Dan's recommendations to heart as to making this neck a great player again, including replacing the original nut if necessary, refret if required, and even leveling the fretboard if he thinks it needs it. After all, this guitar has already lost much of it's originality. Might as well gain back as much playability as I can (within reason, of course).
    In his email response, Dan requested that I ship him the neck with tuners and string tree installed, so those parts will go back on this evening. And we will see what happens from here.:whistling:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    kris ford likes this.
  4. Strat Jacket

5. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

Any updates? :D

6. Strat Jacket

Not yet.
    It's sort of been put on hold as other more critical things have reared their ugly heads.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.