And today's Craigslist find...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Morf2540, May 26, 2021.

1. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

So you started this thread to get everyone revved up? The relic thing and bashing has been beat to death on every forum known to man. It’s pointless to argue about it because we all know every one of the relic haters has at least one pair or new “worn” jeans or a faded aged new band t-shirt.

ratdoc likes this.
  2. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" Silver Member

I'm a relic, so I like my guitars to be pristine. Makes for a nice contrast. :p

3. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Silver Member

Although I don't think you're the odd man out, but that guitar just looks destroyed and totally FUBAR. I've seen some pretty heavy players playing some fairly worn out (from the road/hard use), guitars but that guitar went way beyond that. I don't think I've ever seen a pro playing anything that bad. It didn't look "road worn", it looked like it went through a blow torch, then a furnace and then a wood chipper.:p

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Yuck!

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. Boneman68

Boneman68 Strat-Talker

If Eric Clapton bought a guitar from a pawn shop, I’m sure it didn’t already have fake wear marks, they were probably authentic and he took it out and played the hell out of it wearing it down more perhaps. But that is just a cool old guitar. I don’t think people are bashing relic’s in and of themselves, so long as it got that way naturally. Selling a brand new guitar made to look old and beaten and charging more than for a normal paint job model shouldn’t even be a thing.

6. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

I can give a good reason but it doesn’t apply to this guitar. I decided to build a Superstrat recently. The one in my avatar. There’s a thread about it. Anyway, the body I ended up with is an MJT. It’s my first relic, but I liked the color and the look, and the price was right, so rather than get one made with a new finish I bought it for a good price in an eBay auction.

Since it’s a relic, I thought a lot about what sort of final look I wanted. And I figured, what is a Superstrat except an old Strat that someone put a Floyd and a humbucker on? And if someone did that back in the late 70s or 80s, the Floyd would be chrome, and both it and the plastic would look new. So I got a chrome OFR, new pickguard, new Duncan pickups, and an aged set of tuners and jack plate.

That reasoning doesn’t work for a reliced Strat that appears unmodified, but it’s what was in my head when I chose the components for my build.

Intune likes this.
  7. Intune

No doubt Clapton played the hell out of it and put some more wear into it. Just wanted to clarify what a poser was.

It’s not the same thing as someone buying a guitar that’s already worn by a previous owner. That’s authentic wear. It’s someone buying a custom shop that has fake wear done by someone else and not worn by that person for 30 years.

8. ratdoc

ratdoc Strat-Talk Member

I'm a big fan of light relics, but this body is way overdone for me...cool color combo though.

9. Gonflyn

Gonflyn Strat-Talker

I just don't get the accident-with-a-belt-sander look, can someone please 'splain it to me?

Morf2540 likes this.
  10. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

I have an assortment of relics in vintage harmonicas. I only want a hundred each but will give you six of them and a neck holder for five hundred bucks.

11. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

It’s not my thing, but I have no issues with people for liking them. To each their own. Pretty simple for me. Glad the ones I like are cheaper, that’s a plus. How anyone gets upset about any of this or wants to put people down for liking them is beyond me.

s5tuart, Steve J and Intune like this.
  12. Intune

I don’t know if there’s any explanation needed. This fad has been going on for what 30 plus years now? I cannot afford a real vintage worn out Strat for the “look”. Fender is producing fake wear to fill that void.

The days of owning 1 guitar for 30 years and playing the hell out of it to achieve the “look” is long gone. The cry babies won the battle and fender loaded on enough plastic to ensure the finish will never wear. Those guys can now polish the hell out of their 92 USA standard and it will look new and worthless for the next 100 years.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  13. RL21980

RL21980 Senior Stratmaster

Nice specs. Too bad its red. If it was in the heart of the Ottoman Empire I might give it a second look.

14. gogaterz

gogaterz Strat-Talk Member

That guitar is a hot mess! If you're spending that kind of money and want a relic Strat, buy a custom shop Journeyman that's a light relic. Checked finish, worn neck, light blemishes, and aged hardware. Look like a really old guitar that has been played but not "ruined on purpose".

15. kjatexas

kjatexas Strat-Talker

16. RoyC

RoyC Senior Stratmaster

Looks artificial.
    The body looks like it was dug up out of the garden. everything else looks newish.

17. FireFunkRevival

FireFunkRevival Strat-O-Master

s5tuart likes this.
  18. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

That ain’t so bad. A little over done but I could live with it. The CAR helps cause it’s one of my favorite colors. I like everything! New and Shiny or Beat to Death don’t matter. If you can play your ass off the guitar don’t matter! If your intercoarsing the K9 your guitar don’t matter!!!

Intune likes this.
  19. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

'Heavy Relic'. 'Very light use'. Both these phrases appear in the listing, am I the only one who sees this as incongruous?

20. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

Morf2540 likes this.