Andy Timmons

pazman6

Senior Stratmaster
May 28, 2014
Prairieville, Louisiana
He is also one of my favorites. Strange seeing him play a strat - usually plays his signature Ibanez. I got to see him open for Uli Jon Roth at the New Orleans House of Blues. Unfortunately, he said his drummer was sick, so he just played to the studio version backing tracks from his laptop. Since there was only about 25 people in the audience, I think he really didn't bring his band because he wouldn't clear enough to cover basic travel costs. Jennifer Batten also opened and played to a video with backing tracks. Timmons can really play......

Sureshot33

Strat-Talker
Mar 16, 2018
MA
He is also one of my favorites. Strange seeing him play a strat - usually plays his signature Ibanez. I got to see him open for Uli Jon Roth at the New Orleans House of Blues. Unfortunately, he said his drummer was sick, so he just played to the studio version backing tracks from his laptop. Since there was only about 25 people in the audience, I think he really didn't bring his band because he wouldn't clear enough to cover basic travel costs. Jennifer Batten also opened and played to a video with backing tracks. Timmons can really play......

Yeah. Lol. Odd seeing him without that worn in Ibanez. I love his tone.
You caught a good show then?
(Jen Batten is no slouch either!)

pazman6

Senior Stratmaster
May 28, 2014
Prairieville, Louisiana
Yeah. Lol. Odd seeing him without that worn in Ibanez. I love his tone.
You caught a good show then?
(Jen Batten is no slouch either!)
It was a great show and Uli, Andy, and Jennifer all got up on stage together and played some Hendrix tunes at one point. Uli's band was really loud and actually led to some hearing damage - forgot my ear plugs. They played all the old original Scorpions tunes. I would love to see Timmons with a full band - looks like he played in Texas in April with a full band and is heading to Europe in June - maybe there is hope this fall.............

Sureshot33

Strat-Talker
Mar 16, 2018
MA
It was a great show and Uli, Andy, and Jennifer all got up on stage together and played some Hendrix tunes at one point. Uli's band was really loud and actually led to some hearing damage - forgot my ear plugs. They played all the old original Scorpions tunes. I would love to see Timmons with a full band - looks like he played in Texas in April with a full band and is heading to Europe in June - maybe there is hope this fall.............

Maybe he'll tour with his new album..
I gotta check it out.
I saw Scorpions and Whitesnake in Boston about 10ish years ago and after Scorpions were finished, I could barely hear Whitesnake. Lol
They were LOUD

ToneRanger

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 8, 2009
Area 51
One of my favorite players - describe him as if Satriani was from Texas.
His tone is a big influence too - I have two of his signature pedals (the Xotic BB Preamp and JHS @,) and I had a big box Memory Man for years, partially cause of him and partially cause of EJ - I use the same stacked delay approach that he uses.

Sureshot33

Strat-Talker
Mar 16, 2018
MA
One of my favorite players - describe him as if Satriani was from Texas.
His tone is a big influence too - I have two of his signature pedals (the Xotic BB Preamp and JHS @,) and I had a big box Memory Man for years, partially cause of him and partially cause of EJ - I use the same stacked delay approach that he uses.

When Ibanez offered to make him a guitar around '93, he asked that it look like E.J.'s.

Those items get you in the ballpark with his tone? I wouldn't know where to start. Lol

Sureshot33

Strat-Talker
Mar 16, 2018
MA
His ability to orchestrate guitar parts on a single guitar is staggering - he recorded a very of Sgt Pepper's as a power trio with no overdubs - all on a single guitar.

Did the same with Queen:

I watched that a few nights ago. (Queen).
He did a great job.

ToneRanger

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 8, 2009
Area 51
When Ibanez offered to make him a guitar around '93, he asked that it look like E.J.'s.

Those items get you in the ballpark with his tone? I wouldn't know where to start. Lol

The JHS @ overdrive is basically Andy's lead tone in a box - he designed it so he could get the lead tone of his Mesa Boogie Lone Star amp using backline amplifiers.
The AT version of the BB Preamp is based on an early model that Andy owned that had more compression than later models - he uses it either alone with a clean tone for an edge of breakup sound, or along with the distorted tone to more edge and gain so it is almost like a compressor in that it adds this lovely, singing sustain that blooms easily into high harmonic feedback.
The DMM - he used to use a pair set at different times - basically one a standard time and the other a dotted 1/8" - along with the built in modulation it creates a "ta-tap-ta-tap" kind of delay with the two repeats tripping over each other. The built-in modulation of the DMM also gives a sound similar to the tape echo modulation.

Sureshot33

Strat-Talker
Mar 16, 2018
MA
The JHS @ overdrive is basically Andy's lead tone in a box - he designed it so he could get the lead tone of his Mesa Boogie Lone Star amp using backline amplifiers.
The AT version of the BB Preamp is based on an early model that Andy owned that had more compression than later models - he uses it either alone with a clean tone for an edge of breakup sound, or along with the distorted tone to more edge and gain so it is almost like a compressor in that it adds this lovely, singing sustain that blooms easily into high harmonic feedback.
The DMM - he used to use a pair set at different times - basically one a standard time and the other a dotted 1/8" - along with the built in modulation it creates a "ta-tap-ta-tap" kind of delay with the two repeats tripping over each other. The built-in modulation of the DMM also gives a sound similar to the tape echo modulation.
Awesome!
Thanks for articulating all of that.

Ruscio

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 14, 2016
Pennsylvania
I'm also becoming a huge fan of Andy Timmons. I posted on him here a little while ago, around when his latest album came out, March or April? "When Words Fail" remains my favorite song on the album and I've probably watched him play it in that video a dozen times. His touch is amazing, such a dynamic player!

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
This dude's been a favorite of mine for years.
About to check out his new album.
(Cool tune here)

That was awesome. It was very accessible, and by that I mean that physically I can already play those licks, and have used many of those patterns at one time or another.

I am used to seeing him with an Ibanez. That is just good, solid lead guitar playing. And he seems to be showing us just a fraction of what he is capable of.