Another 62

Philc

Strat-Talk Member
Jun 10, 2020
North West
This time a September 62, unplayable when I bought it as it had a bow and a twist in the neck, there was also a modern 5 way switch fitted, the original broken one was in the case.
I straightened the neck, reset the truss nut and repaired the switch. It's been refinished in nitro and aged, the colour from new showing around the tremolo cutout was white,and blue but I suspect it was originally sunburst due to the brown showing and maybe sprayed ocer at the factory with the other colours.

Sept-62-1.jpg

Sept-62-3.jpg

Sept 62 2.jpg

Sept-62-4.jpg

Sept-62-5.jpg

Sept-62-6.jpg

Sept-62-7.jpg

Sept-62-8.jpg

Sept-62-9.jpg

Philc

Strat-Talk Member
Jun 10, 2020
North West
Ok, Last year my old band got to gether after 47 years, we recorded in my studio, five songs that we played back in the early 70's, here's "Into the fire" by Deep Purple, the Strat is through a VOXAC30H2, U87 mic and mixed through a Chandler/EMI RS124 compressor, the bass is through an early 60's Altec 436c.

https://app.box.com/s/4t874uw2hgmtnriakxi9zy7rxs8g8ryt

I've also been studying over the past eight years, the very early 60's Shadows recordings at Abbey Roads Studio 2, (been there three times now) to get an insight as to how things were done back then, this again is the 62 with "Blue Star" recorded as close to the original LP as possible, warts and all, the guitar through a TVS3 echo unit, (IMO the best on the market that copies the early 60's Meazzi drum echo), VOXAC30H2 and U87 into the desk, the other instruments are Taylor acoustic, Fender Jazz Bass and BFD2 Drums.

Lead mixed through my RS124 and Bass with Altec 436c.

https://app.box.com/s/rtfst4a9n9i1e7nwsqn69v0ozmv4xexy

Last edited:

Kyri

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 28, 2009
UK
Wow, great repair and finishing skills, and great music, thanks for sharing!

Phil I have a question for you about one of your pictures. I have a strat (a very similar neck actually) that I have clamped to reduce or eliminate some backbow it has developed.

Regarding the iron to heat it - is there a process to follow, how hot, for how long, steam or not? I am interested in your method.

Philc

Strat-Talk Member
Jun 10, 2020
North West
The process is to slacken the truss, clamp the neck so it's perfectly straight, you might need packing with shims underneath, then you need something like a steel rule to disperse the heat, I left the iron at full heat for about an hour, but move it around (no steam) then leave overnight.

Hope this helps.

Stratoholic

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 30, 2010
somewhere
The thing is, back in the old days, all Fenders were stained for Sunburst, even guitars that ended up with a custom color finish.

Also, it wasn't uncommon for them to reuse a badly finished body, by simply spraying the new finish directly on the original finish. It's entirely possible to find an early 60's Fender with 2 or even 3 different finishes, all done at the factory.

It's also entirely possible to find a fender that has one badly done finish, and then a completely different color sprayed on, without primer or clear coat.
http://www.guitarhq.com/fenderc.html

Philc

Strat-Talk Member
Jun 10, 2020
North West
Here's the original paint jobs under the re-spray on this 62, Daphne blue, White and brown which was probably the original Sunburst?

62 colour em.jpg