Join Strat-Talk Today

Another budget NGD

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ukoldgit, Sep 18, 2019.

1. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Buyers market at the moment in the UK as I picked up this MIJ Matsumoku Westone Spectrum ST for £41 with a Roland GK-2 pickup and a Zoom Player 1010, top quality guitar but the freebies admittedly are not state of the art gear, but good VFM I thought;)
    P1020817.JPG P1020816.JPG

2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I had one of those Zooms about 20 years ago. I used I set it up to harmonize and used the flanger for Keep Yourself Alive. It was kind of noisy. Nice score.

ukoldgit likes this.
  3. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

I had one of those for a while. Great build quality but with a maple body it was a heavy beast

ukoldgit likes this.
  4. ukoldgit

Yep, this ones 1986 and age hasn't made it any lighter but as you say great build quality.

SachaPlusDeluxe likes this.
  5. ukoldgit

I had an up market one of them and sold it, bit of a complicated setup on them but ok, just waiting for a power supply for it to see if it still works, might go well with the Oddball:rolleyes:

6. Ducerro

Ducerro Strat-Talker

I like the shape of that headstock! Nice score!

ukoldgit likes this.
  7. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

An 80's Matsumoku super strat with aftermarket pup for half as much as a Squier Bullet? How'd you manage that??? :confused::confused::confused: It should be worth at least 6 times that!

ukoldgit likes this.
  8. ukoldgit

OK I was pretty lucky, there was around 20+ people watching it on eBay, the description did not mention the Roland and when I picked the guitar up the guy said he had given up electric and gave me the Zoom as it would be no use to him, the guitar (in reasonable condition) typically sell in the UK for around £140 which IMHO is less than they are worth, the pups alone are worth what I paid for it.

9. 79olympicwhite

79olympicwhite Strat-O-Master

I had a Westone in natural for a while... nice guitar

ukoldgit likes this.
  10. ukoldgit

Whats not to like solid Maple, good pickups, fabulous necks and solid hardware, very under rated IMO, would be interested to know what the maple slab looked like i.e. grain, number of pieces (planks) as I have never stripped one off before:thumb:

11. 79olympicwhite

I believe it was a factory finish mine also had the Gibson style 3x3 tuners and headstock but the body was the same shape...

ukoldgit likes this.
  12. 79olympicwhite

Just said. Westone. Not spectrum

ukoldgit likes this.
  13. sssstratsss

sssstratsss Strat-Talker

Are those guitars related to Electra's in any way? My dad has an all maple guitar that is shaped just like that. Easiest playing guitar ive ever laid hands on

ukoldgit likes this.
  14. ukoldgit

And @79olympicwhite

This is what Wikipedia says......

Electra was a brand of electric guitars and basses manufactured in Japan and distributed in the US by two companies owned by brothers: Saint Louis Music (SLM) and Pacific Coast Music in the 1970s and early 1980s. In 2013, the brand launched a successful comeback led by renowned luthiers Ben Chafin and Mick Donner.

Unlike most other brands of imported guitars which were sourced from a single manufacturer, Electra guitars were ordered from all the Japanese factories and distributors. As a result, early models especially vary in details and quality. Later, as all models came to be made by Matsumoku, Electra guitars offered high quality at competitive prices. However, the brand never entirely lost its association with inexpensive 'copy' guitars and the brand name was transitioned to Electra Westone in 1984 and Westone in 1985. The same qualities make them popular among collectors today.

sssstratsss likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.