Join Strat-Talk Today

Another Custom Police Inspired Guitar

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Believer7713, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

After building the KCPD Coin-Caster that raised over $4,000 for the Care Team raffle a KCPD detective asked me to do it again but only representing her unit...the Homicide Unit on a personal level. I decided to give it a different look since I can't use the KCPD logo on a guitar that I am selling as it is copyrighted. Still I wanted to keep it law enforcement themed so I went with a Thin Blue Line flag for the paint job with the front and back of both the old and new Homicide Unit coins recessed into the top. Also, the lettering in the blue border says KCPD #4585 which is the detective's serial number.
    I started with an Epiphone SG Junior.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It had a couple dings in it so tgey had to be dealt with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also, the pickguard had to go so that left some screw holes that needed filled.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Routing for the coins and the base coat black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. Believer7713

To make the flag I designed one on Cricut design space and custom cut a vinyl decal then placed it on the body of the guitar.
    [​IMG]
    After running into a couple snafus I had to strip it down a couple times due to issues with the weather this year. Since I don't have a paint booth at the house I am at the mercy of Mother Nature and the humidity has wresked havoc on wet automotive paint. So a few tries later, I had to cut another decal with the Cricut then started with the white first since the black covered better. So a third decal was made this time it was reversed.
    [​IMG]
    But the second color I painted was the blue both on the beveled edge and the center line. Also on the top bevel was the aforementioned lettering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Still fighting with the humidity causing issues, the black laid out but it went milky. Another problem was that the vinyl strips rolled up as the paint dried so I had to go back and remask it with painters tape. I also knew that I might have one more chance to get the black only if I could get the stars to stick again while they were trying to roll up so I laid my senior yearbook from high school on it to hold them flat after the paint dried. After about 10 days they stuck well enough to give me just enough time to blow the black paint one more time.
    [​IMG]
    After peeling it all off this was revealed.
    [​IMG]
    8 coats of clear later, gluing the coins in place with 2 part epoxy, buffing with Maguire's Mirror glaze then cleaner wax...
    [​IMG]
    Turn to the back and install the pots again and polish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was where I ended last night.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  3. Believer7713

Today, I had to go to GC to get a peice of nut material to replace the one that chipped off on the corner a while back. After mating the neck back to the body, I fitted the nut and strung it up. Right now it hangs in my room with the neck pulling back under tension after being free for the last several months while I waited for both the weather and also for my leg to heal from the most recent knee surgery.
    Today it looks like this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

Love it !

5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Man you are a ****in artist. I love it.

6. Believer7713

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it and enjoy doing these. As frustrating as they can be at times, they are overall fun and satisfying. This one was a nightmare as far as being a three layer three color paint job. One mistake and you really have to start over. That's called stress.

7. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

Awesome job brother.

8. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

Very nice. Was it a bear to route for the badges?

9. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

You know, if you keep this up word will spread and you have a cottage industry on your hands. Come to think of it... you already do. The Care Unit, the school, and this one in recent memory. What a great job again!

Groovey, duzie, axejock and 3 others like this.
  10. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I'm in awe! That is beautiful. You really have a talent for these things (along with the patience it takes to deal with the little set-backs that always happen). Amazing!

11. Believer7713

I actually do have another one that I will be starting newt week. The plan for it will be something close to an Aztec gold finish with a Sergeant badge inlaid. A Sergeant on the department wants me to make one for his son's Christmas gift. The kid is 17 years old and the badge not only represents his dad but also represents the year the kid was born...Sarge was promoted the same year his son was born. Possibly will be doing another one for the Care Team this winter for next year too. I want it to be different from the last one so I need to do some planning as well as have some meetings about not infringing on a couple copyrights if I do what I currently have in mind.

12. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Count me in on any raffle tickets next year! :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  13. axejock

Add me to that list!!

14. Smokey3

Smokey3 Strat-Talker

Very nice, I enjoyed seeing the pictures. Thanks

abnormaltoy and Believer7713 like this.
  15. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing. Strat-Talk Supporter

Great job..again:thumb:

I am the worlds worst guitar painter I cant even paint a gold top with binding never mind a theme, lovely work.

Believer7713 and abnormaltoy like this.
  16. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Looks fantastic! Nice job. That makes the little project guitar that I was discussing with you the other day look like child’s play.

Believer7713 likes this.
  17. Believer7713

No, I don't think so. The amount of luthiery that will go into your project is going to make this one seem like a middle school shop project. Especially if you go back to gloss black finish.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  18. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

very cool!

Believer7713 likes this.
  19. axejock

Stupid question (I have asked about it before on similar builds), but your build here is far more illustrative of what I am wondering about. The "badges and buttons" you put on the guitar obviously fit into a very custom routed cavity in the guitar body. Wow!. But when you finish the guitar, do you somehow "smooth over" these items with a clear epoxy or something like that and then do the final clear coat on the whole thing, or do you just install the badges and buttons after clearcoat so that you can actually "feel" them when running your fingers over them. It appears that you have done something magic to make these items look like they are actually a part of the body wood! If so, I'd sure like to know how you do that!!

Believer7713 likes this.
  20. Believer7713

The coins are inlaid into the body. For the normal circular coins I either use a forstner bit to drill a perfect circle the correct size or, if I don't have the correct size, I will use a circle cutter attachment on my Dremel tool to cut the perimeter then a precision router attachment to route the rest. On the irregular shaped coins, I lay the coin on the body and trace it with a pencil then freehand route it with the Dremel and a pointed carving bit for the fine work and a 1/4 inch straight router bit in the center. I typically like to route the hole depths to 1/2 the thickness of the coins (measured by eye). Then I paint the body completely through all the stages including the clear coat. After paint/clear, I glue the coins in place using a 2 part clear epoxy. If there is any imperfections in how the coin fits in the route then I let the epoxy fill the gap. Since the epoxy is clear the color of the paint under it helps to mask the diference. Also, when I route out for the coin, I do not smoith out the bottom of the hole. The roughness helps the glue to hold better.
    When it is all said and done you can touch and feel the coins themselves and they are normally raised above the surface of the wood. I have only really recessed a couple to.be completely flush but have never glued or painted/cleared over one yet. Though on the Care Team guitar I was trying to get a couple coins that were next to impossible to acquire and made the promise that if I could use them thet would be buried in the epoxy but I was unable to get them in the end.

axejock likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.