Another new guitar (Don’t tell the wife!)

somebodyelseuk

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 29, 2022
Birmingham UK
They may look like Filtertrons, but they’re not..

They’re Gretsch’s own version of the regular humbucker, called “Broadtrons” which are regular HB size, whereas Filtertons are quite a bit smaller, and have a different bobbin/magnet arrangement.
Nice. Everyone looks 'cool' with a Gretsch - even me.
Is it a Streamliner?
I like yer plans for it, though Stormys in a hollow body is a bit adventurous - could be a recipe for feedback? Or does it have a centre block?
I've had a 5420 for about 10 years. Love it to bits. I keep putting off spending on a set of TV Jones for it. I like the Blacktops (Filtertrons) that are in it.

Caythorpe

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 8, 2022
Lincolnshire, England
Nice. Everyone looks 'cool' with a Gretsch - even me.
Is it a Streamliner?
I like yer plans for it, though Stormys in a hollow body is a bit adventurous - could be a recipe for feedback? Or does it have a centre block?
I've had a 5420 for about 10 years. Love it to bits. I keep putting off spending on a set of TV Jones for it. I like the Blacktops (Filtertrons) that are in it.
It’s a centerblock Streamliner… Otherwise the unpotted pickups would, as you so rightly point out, create a whole world of unchecked microphonic feedback…

Seeing as some venues can be very restrictive on volume nowadays, and often insist that their own p.a. is used via DI, I wanted something that would still react to the sound in the room, giving the tone and natural distortion you’d normally only get by having a 4x4 cab right behind you to excite the guitar..

I absolutely love the 5420, and Filtertrons… But that signature “Chimey” bright but full, resonant sound they can produce so well, is something I don’t need often enough to justify having one… So I put my trust in my Strymon when I feel the need.

somebodyelseuk

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 29, 2022
Birmingham UK
It’s a centerblock Streamliner… Otherwise the unpotted pickups would, as you so rightly point out, create a whole world of unchecked microphonic feedback…

Seeing as some venues can be very restrictive on volume nowadays, and often insist that their own p.a. is used via DI, I wanted something that would still react to the sound in the room, giving the tone and natural distortion you’d normally only get by having a 4x4 cab right behind you to excite the guitar..

I absolutely love the 5420, and Filtertrons… But that signature “Chimey” bright but full, resonant sound they can produce so well, is something I don’t need often enough to justify having one… So I put my trust in my Strymon when I feel the need.
Yeah, agreed. The 5420 is a living room toy. I'm 55, been playing since the early '80s. A Gretsch has never fitted the bill, so forking out for the real deal was never on, but I just fancied a Gretsch and at the time, they didn't have a cheaper line.
Les Pauls are really my thing, but I've played HSS Strat-a-likes for the last 25+ years, because I didn't like carting around a boot-full of guitars - 2 for 'buckers, 2 for single coils. They cover all the bases, and I only need to take two. Audiences can't hear the difference, so I don't sweat the tonal details on a gigger.

Caythorpe

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 8, 2022
Lincolnshire, England
Yeah, agreed. The 5420 is a living room toy. I'm 55, been playing since the early '80s. A Gretsch has never fitted the bill, so forking out for the real deal was never on, but I just fancied a Gretsch and at the time, they didn't have a cheaper line.
Les Pauls are really my thing, but I've played HSS Strat-a-likes for the last 25+ years, because I didn't like carting around a boot-full of guitars - 2 for 'buckers, 2 for single coils. They cover all the bases, and I only need to take two. Audiences can't hear the difference, so I don't sweat the tonal details on a gigger.
Yup…

I’m 64 now.. Because I’m officially retired, and I’m not interested in playing big gigs or doing 300 mile round trips anymore, I don’t need to carry a bunch of guitars… I still have more than 20 at the moment (Most in the process of being modified or rebuilt) but I rarely carry more than two electrics, and one acoustic around… After all.. With a good pedalboard, you can get away with murder nowadays..

joebtone

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Jan 26, 2022
Northwest US
Yup…

I’m 64 now.. Because I’m officially retired, and I’m not interested in playing big gigs or doing 300 mile round trips anymore, I don’t need to carry a bunch of guitars… I still have more than 20 at the moment (Most in the process of being modified or rebuilt) but I rarely carry more than two electrics, and one acoustic around… After all.. With a good pedalboard, you can get away with murder nowadays..
Some would say you’re crazy for just jumping in there with the mods but, you really seem to have a solid plan of exactly what you want to do.
I hope you share the fun.
It’s going to be nice.