Another Pau Ferro thread

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by guitarface, Jul 23, 2021.

1. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

Pau Ferro has made its way onto plenty of high quality instruments and is a great wood for fretboards.

That being said I generally can't stand the way the average pc looks and I've never owned a guitar with it.

I also don't like the lighter examples of Rosewood or the color of roasted maple necks. I'm not sure what my problem is but I think I'm not the only one with it.

If I have a maple fretboard I don't want a lot of tint, if I have a rosewood board I want it nice and dark. The best for me of course is Ebony.

If Fender switches to mostly Pau Ferro in place of Rosewood I'll likely be buying a lot more maple fretboard Fenders.

davidrf likes this.
  2. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

Not all guitars look good with roasted maple necks, and I’m not a fan of the ones with a lot of figuring either.

ibdrkn1 likes this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Depends on the color you’re pairing it with. With a light color body/pickguard, most wouldn’t tell the difference.
    On my Jag with a dark tort PG, it looked really light.

I don’t, and won’t let fretboard material influence my purchase. I’ve never had a fretboard material I haven’t liked.

Walnut, maple, ebony, richlite, rosewood, PF.. it’s all fine. Just another thing for guitar enthusiasts to get all ruffled up about.

Ruscio likes this.
  4. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

Never saw a single pau ferro fretboard that I liked. A big no for me.

5. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

I have a Reverend Charger with a Pau Ferro board and it's fine. Not as dark as rosewood but when I get around to putting on some lemon oil it'll probably get darker.

6. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

Man, that second video just depresses the hell out of me. How sad! And people whining my board ain't dark enough...

7. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

Maple 1st. Rosewood 2nd. Ebony 3rd. I wouldn't turn my nose up at Pau Ferro if I found one with great tone but I'm a bit of a traditionalist. I don't seek it out. If that makes me snooty so be it. I'll live with the snoot.
    Suhr uses Pau Ferro a lot in their custom builds and they make some wonderful guitars.

davidrf likes this.
  8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

9. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-O-Master

Ferro is inconstant like Birdseye maple is inconsistent.
    In a vacuum, I prefer dark rosewood because that’s what I picture in my head when I think about a non-maple Strat. That said I’m about to buy a new Ferro Strat for $1500. I’m buying because it’s the right guitar for me despite the color not being correct.

It’s great if you can look at a guitar fretboard that doesn’t “look right” to you and you still wanna possess it. But at the end of the day you need to look at your guitar and think, “Damn, that’s sexy. I wanna play it.”

If it doesn’t appeal to you then it’s not for you.

10. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-O-Master

I'd be lying if I didn't say I thought the looks of a neck didn't matter. But still, the feel to me is more important. That's why I prefer an ebony fingerboard. I just seem to find it smoother and faster than rosewood or maple (or pau ferro or Brazilian Cherry - yes, I have one of those, too).

11. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Senior Stratmaster

Actually, more pieces should add stability because they usually are selected pull in different ways and tend to prevent excess movement that you'd find in the single bit. In the typical separate fretboard scenario the fretboard is almost always QS, and maple necks shafts are mostly flatsawn for example. Manufactured laminates are always more dimensionally stable than single pieces for that cross aligning of grain. Even a veneer thickness (1mm) can make a measurable improvement.

12. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You’re absolutely correct. My apologies.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  13. Monkey

Monkey Strat-Talker

oil the board to darken , some people are happy with them. not a proplem.