Another tryout for yet another band... I have the jitters

Discussion in 'Bands on the Run' started by Mansonienne, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    Well, the little punk/grunge/alt trio I joined awhile ago didn't work out. The commute to practice was too much (crowded metro with a bass on my back after a day at work) and I feared we'd never be "gig-ready"... worse, the lead singer seemed to think we were nearly there. I think the disconnect was the nail in the coffin for me. I didn't think we sounded good, but he thought we did. And part of what I didn't think sounded good was.... his singing....:whistling:

Anyway, I have a tryout with an established cover band Saturday morning. 3 English guys and a Frenchman - I'd be the only woman, and the only new member. Their rhythm guitarist left and their bassist wants to take over rhythm guitar so they need a bassist. They responded to my ad.

They've got a setlist of nearly 60 songs (!!) and gig pretty regularly (looking like once a month or so, paid gigs). And a few of the songs are pretty tricky (for me, anyway): Cake's I Will Survive, Californication.

To make me feel even more nervous, I got the setlist last Saturday and since then have had a really nasty cold that has made it very difficult to practice (I'm really tired, no energy). There are a couple of songs I know already but the vast majority I've never played bass on, and some I've never even listened to. I know I won't be expected to have even 1/4 of the setlist down or anything, but I fear I won't even have enough under my fingers to be at all convincing. I'm worried I'm going to bomb.

I suppose it doesn't really matter - I have (I think) another iron in the fire, and something else may come along if that doesn't materialize. But I don't want to embarrass myself.

I'd also like to convey (without sounding desperate) that what I lack in technical skill I make up for in enthusiasm; hard work; an easy-going, positive attitude; broad musical taste; a sense of humor; and non-flakiness. I'll do my homework, I'll show up, I'll (try to) keep the beat, I won't cause drama. Maybe that will be enough?;)

I left my last band because they(we) weren't good enough - now I'm worried that I'm not good enough. Of course, I have to like them, too. And be willing to learn such a big setlist and play out much more frequently than I ever have. But I think I'd like that. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my anxiety and never-ending band sagas!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Nate D, s5tuart, abnormaltoy and 29 others like this.
  2. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Senior Stratmaster

Sounds like a challenge, but a worthwhile one. I can only suggest that you give it your all and it will be fun and productive for all :)

Mansonienne likes this.
  3. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Yes you are.

Sounds like it could be a great gig.

No Fear!

Mansonienne likes this.
  4. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

I’m betting on you!!

Mansonienne likes this.
  5. Mansonienne

Admin Post
    Tryout's at 10 am - I can't even have a small beer to chill me out first! :p

rolandson, s5tuart, Justin226 and 4 others like this.
  6. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I wouldn't worry. If those attributes aren't enough to overcome any temporary gaps in knowledge or deficits in expertise, then it's probably not a good fit. But since they're a steadily gigging band it's likely that they understand what it takes to keep a good cohesive unit together.

Just look for chemistry. The rest is just hard work. Good luck.

7. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

unnamed.jpg

'I dunno. There's lots of places you could hide'.

Mansonienne likes this.
  8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Much better to play with people equal or better than you, than trying to drag others up to your level!!

You’re in a good spot. Bassists are the one instrument that blends in the easiest. You can’t ignore the singer. If youre able and willing to learn the songs, and have a good attitude.. they’d be idiots not to hire you.

dante1963, RHL87 and Mansonienne like this.
  9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

You can do this. If they're a respectful band, after giving you their set list they should give you at least a couple weeks before meetup/rehearsal. Take that time when you can to brush up and learn the songs you don't know. They have to give you enough time to prepare. Even a competent experienced bass player can't be expected to just jump in.....

10. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I hope it works out well for you. Hopefully they will be patient and good to work with.

Mansonienne likes this.
  11. of this world

of this world Senior Stratmaster

this is terrific!

Mansonienne likes this.
  12. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Maybe a quick shot of medicinal Tequila? :sneaky:

Ebidis and dante1963 like this.
  13. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

I agree. But I think you can tell an experience and professional player from a person who doesn’t belong, in a very short time. Depends on the genre too. From the sounds of it, it’s a rock cover band, and a competent bassist can fit right in with little effort.

I guess it largely depends on the expectations of their tryout. If they’re expecting all of the material to be learned already, there’s definitely some delusion there.

Mansonienne likes this.
  14. Mansonienne

Admin Post
    That would NOT be a good idea

fezz parka likes this.
  15. Mansonienne

Admin Post
    You're right - and I'm quite sure they're not expecting me to have the whole list ready. It's only 2 hours, anyway. I'm also hoping the old bassist still has to learn some if the rhythm parts....;)

dante1963 and PeteGeordie like this.
  16. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

No fear - be confident of in what you do know and in your ability. Be honest about what songs still need work - set about doing it. That’ll show them you know what you’re doing and you’re professional.

Mansonienne likes this.
  17. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member Platinum Supporting Member

One doesn’t grow unless you stretch.
    Do it.

RHL87 and Mansonienne like this.
  18. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

No worries. It is what it is - you will play the best you can in the moment. And it will work out, or it won't. And your life will go on either way.

"Dying 1000 deaths" before you even go there isn't going to make you play better, so don't. It's just something our brain does for kicks (Bad brain, bad brain!).

Embarrassment is an emotion only you can generate for yourself, so skip doing that. Be happy you have an opportunity, and go revel in it.

nickmsmith and Mansonienne like this.
  19. AncientAx

AncientAx Still hacking ....

You got this , relax and just feel the groove .

Mansonienne likes this.
  20. pn8830

pn8830 Strat-Talker

Good luck! I hope it works out!

Mansonienne likes this.