Anti-GAS logical discussion thread. So when you gas next time, you make better choices.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Davono, Jan 13, 2022.

1. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Have a Strat. I need a MIA Tele. That would be my entire collection!

2. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

In the last 45 years I’m trying to recall if I’ve ever made a guitar purchase based solely on logic. :)

_JDZ_, Eligius1976, Cawa and 4 others like this.
  3. Davono

Davono Strat-Talker

But you won't. When you are gassing, you will forget logic..so, when not particularly driven, that is the time for logic, then your next compulsive purchase may be informed by logic partially

4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Yeah the headstock and neck are incredible. It’s a 5 piece neck.

5. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

Well, I generally buy high quality used instruments, so I think I make good monetary decisions. However, they are usually around what I want, how it plays, and how it sounds.

Stratoskater likes this.
  6. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Strat-O-Master

My GAS situation is "helped" by limited resources and limited space. When I remodelled the apartment I built this big wardrobe-like thing in my living room with a primitive custom stand inside it for guitar cases (with guitars in them). So depending on the case/gigbag size I can have 7-8 guitars max.

Currently I have 2 Strats which is not strictly necessary. I plan on selling one and getting a guitar that's not a Strat, Tele or a Les Paul, as I have those covered. I thinking something suitable for alternate tunings and how I play in them. That means I need high-ish string tension (to go down to D or even open G with C in the bass), flat-ish not too narrow neck, and a lot of clarity from the pickups to cope with weird chords, complex dissonant harmonies and droning strings. All signs point towards a Danelectro with lipsticks. Good thing I like how they look! Bad thing, they're rare over here. Especially the sparkly ones. I want a sparkly one.

In any case, I'm usually looking to expand the my palette. As much as I may want to have a Strat in every vintage colour, it's not happening in this lifetime.

Stratoskater likes this.
  7. Davono

Davono Strat-Talker

I have similar problems. I got a wall with 4 guitars, and a bass in another room. I can maybe get 2 more. But they gotta be pretty cos they are decorating rooms.

8. Stratoskater

I did see one of these tonight at Sam Ash and dud almost make an impulsive decision. 60th anniversary 52 Les Paul! They want $3,700 but I could get it for less.

D160FD1C-F335-4951-A346-4135C85AE149.jpeg DF9EEC06-944C-4E82-8BE1-DB1161163270.jpeg

dogletnoir likes this.
  9. Cawa

Cawa New Member!

don't have any hss guitars or strats with maple fretboard, so logically my next one must be an maple neck HSS strat. Preferably natural or some see through colour :)
    Two either/or instruments will be fine too

Attached Files:

10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I hear one of these calling to me...

[​IMG]

duzie, Bowmap, Davono and 1 other person like this.
  11. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

Cat T-type.png
    Gotta love a pink T-type, but i did mine a bit differently.
    Catalpa wood body, a pair of Wilkenson P90s, cut down G.E. Smith style bridge
    with compensated brass saddles, and an aged reverse control plate and knobs...
    even the switch is reversed, so that the rearmost position is for the neck pickup.
    Since i play mostly neck pickup, that puts the volume knob closer to where i need
    it for doing swells and keeps the switch out of the way when adjusting the tone knob.
    Fender Road Worn neck and tuners.
    With D'Addario Chromes (flatwound .011-.050), it's become one of my go-tos.

As for GAS, just about the only thing that i'm really jonesing for at the moment is
    actually a bass, not a guitar. It's a Fodera Matt Garrison Imperial Mini MG.
    MG Imperial Mini body.png
    Maybe i'll be able to make that happen this year... we'll see.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Bowmap and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  12. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

i've been wanting to try one of those out.
    They fixed the issue with the wraparound tailpiece so the strings pass over the bar
    instead of underneath like they did on the original 52s, so you can do palm muting
    on these reissues.
    The only thing i'm not crazy about is the look of the headstock; i wish they'd gone for a
    more authentic vibe there, but if it played and sounded great, i could get past that, i suppose.
    Still, the T-type above covers my P90 needs pretty well, and i'm thinking i'd rather put the 3K plus
    towards that bass (because this thread is supposed to be about applying logic to the process).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Stratoskater likes this.
  13. Davono

Davono Strat-Talker

I got a player HSS 2 weeks back. I love it.

14. Davono

Davono Strat-Talker

15. Davono

Davono Strat-Talker

Are them M series P90's? I have them with 1meg pots. They have some range at that.

16. Davono

Davono Strat-Talker

I am a bassist first. And I have a mex jazz from 2002. I have American pickups in it. A pull bar and the bridge, but no neck cover for slap bass. It is the only bass I ever want. Never gassed since I got it. I took up guitar property about 2 years back. I am always gassing with the guitars.

Maybe it's cos so many guitar icons are playing different axes, but the jazz bass is just so good. Look at flea. He had jazz basses, then did the modulus flea bass, but he always comes back to the jazz bass. It's like the strat if basses, but we don't have Floyd rose, trem, floating bridges, HSS/SSS or all that. It's just the jazz bass.

dogletnoir likes this.
  17. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

Bigtone?

18. Stratoskater

Yeah the headstock was kind of odd to me too. I did not have them take it out of the case to play cause I was scared I’d buy it right then!