Join Strat-Talk Today

Any assistance greatly appreciated...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Harley2002, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Harley2002

Harley2002 New Member!

Hi Guys,
    I have just laid claim to a Stat, plays 100% and look and sounds even better......however, prior to handing over the balance in "hard earned", I sent a very nice request to Mr Fender to check the authenticity.
    Ooooooh the result was not so pleasing, (to me), he was very professional and helpful, but the bottom line was the S/No was not listed on the database, and there were too many modifications to narrow the guitar to a specific model.

The tuners have been changed to "schecter" and the reap neck plate is not original and that's all I know, so..........the million dollar question is.......can any one throw any light on this guitar at all, or do I just regard it as a "parts-caster", (albeit expensive), and decide form there ?

Many thanks in anticipation

Attached Files:

Danmax likes this.
  2. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You regard it as your really cool looking Fender Strat, and play the heck out of it. You could call it "Barbara" if you wanted to. It's yours, and you make the rules.

HNGD, and welcome to Strat Talk!

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Too Stressed from Strat-Talk - offline for a while
    Absolutely it's a partscaster - This neck is from 1990, N9 normally means 1999 but the logo was different in 1999. Some early 1990's used the N9 number before they realized they messed up and went to N0....

The reason Fender doesn't have it in their database is because they don't have accurate records prior to about 1994....

That neck might be from a Strat plus I can't tell, or it's modified completely for a locking nut. You can even see the old holes on the back of the headstock where the original tuners would have been....

This guitar as such is probably only worth about 300-350 on the used market because of this. If you could see under the hood we could tell you if pickups, pots, or anything on this guitar is original...including the body...

4. Guitarmageddon

Here's an N9 Jeff Beck Strat neck also from 1990....same N9....and some of the Strat Pluses had a very similar nut originally....

[​IMG]

5. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

- Welcome to Strat-Talk Harley -
    You have a customized Stratocaster and its yours . . . enjoy :)

6. Guitarmageddon

7. KCStratman

KCStratman Senior Stratmaster

Looks like a '90s HSS Floyd Rose MIM series strat with Schecter tuners.

8. Dire Strats

Dire Strats Strat-Talk Member

A strat plus was my guess as well for the neck...would need to see underneath her to determine more on the body

9. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Agreed - a parts guitar with a 1990 Fender USA neck. Not sure about the body - we will need a few more photos of it to figure out just what it is. It would be great if you could get some photos of it taken apart so we could see the routing under the pickguard, the neck pocket (if it has a micro-tilt), etc.

10. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Great looking Superstrat-style guitar-Congrats, and Welcome!

11. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

The screw spacing on the scratch plate is for a '62 RI.........which would also lend it to be a partscaster....

12. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

definitely Strat Plus neck (unless there's a string tree/hole at the top edge of picture 2)

13. Harley2002

Harley2002 New Member!

Many thanks to you all for your excellent assistance, I've decided to go with the flow and accept the guitar for what it is, it plays great and sounds super, comes it at under 500 sterling, and obviously with the extras must be worth the deal.
    Once received,and well tested out, I'll drop the pick cover and the reap plate to see if I can get any further details, perhaps you could advise further.
    Many thanks to you all for your support and assistance
    .......A now happy chappie on a rainy day in the UK !! - THANK YOU

Danmax likes this.
  14. Guitarmageddon

500 UK Pounds??? This guitar isn't worth that or even close....but it is to you if you like it. Just not worth that to sell to anyone else, because as a parts guitar the value is cut down by more than half....

15. bblooz

bblooz Senior Stratmaster

If original, it would be worth 500 quid, but modified as it is, like Ryan said, about half that now.

16. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

sounds heavy

17. Danmax

Danmax New Member!

I doing a David Gilmour build, which includes Fender Custom Shop 1-Ply Black Pickguard, with Fender CS Pickups & the Toggle Switch, so it'll be like the one made by the Fender Custom Shop. I'm also waiting for the Fender Custom Shop pickups for a Fender - 2000, 3-Bolt Micro-Tilt Neck & a 1999 70's reissue Natural Body, which is also a MIA Fender. Oh yeah, I needed to buy a Neck Plate because that was sold with the original loaded Pickguard. I really don't mind because I'm putting better parts into the guitar than the stock parts. I also take pictures & write down everything about each build.

18. Count Glockula®

Count Glockula® Strat-O-Master

Hello, you sent it to "Mr. Fender"? So I guess you sent photos to Fender, and they declare it fake?

As long as you're happy with it, then congrats!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.