Any Hybrid pickers out there?

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by amstratnut, Jan 19, 2010.

1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I'm just starting to learn this and it has really opened up the guitar for me. A huge part of what I stumble on is crossing strings with a pick and using my fingers is not as fast yet, but crossing strings is no problem. In fact it sounds better.

2. Doggiecow

Doggiecow New Member!

I am also starting to learn

Its just hard for me to find songs that utilize it so I could practice. I really like the way it sounds though

3. amstratnut

I find I can use it in blues pretty well. Not like the country guys, but kind of snappy alternating string licks.

4. srvwannab

srvwannab Senior Stratmaster

Yes, I use a little hybrid picking on acoustic mainly, Bron-yr-Aur, Babe, Black Mountain Side, Going to California, anything Jimmy Page.

I don't use it really on electric that much because it doesn't come as easy for me on electric for some reason, but I can see what a great value it is to learn that way. I think using the pick btwn the index and thumb and using the free fingers for double stop slides (for example) and popping is a great way to warm up your tone and create texture.

EDIT: Warren Haynes!

5. muso.greg

muso.greg Strat-Talker

I use hybrid picking in most of my playing. I find it helps get the Mark Knofler style of attack (which I guess makes sense as I understand he is a finger player - I've tried that and can't get good enough at it on an electric, but I do use it on acoustic). Hybrid picking gives me more light and shade. I find the pick still gived me options with the attack that I can't get with my finger (pinched harmonics, etc) but I can use the hybrid style to do non-natural harmonics and octave runs that I can't do with a pick alone. I haven't found too many 'signature' type songs for rock/blues hybrid picking but I suspect there are a lot of players who use it at least some of the time.
    I find it just happens naturally (for me) with double stops, and by alternating with pick and hybrid picking I can control the tone and 'snappyness' of it.

6. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

I pick on most people that drive a hybrid. They talk about saving the planet until I tell them that they're just a hipster that doesn't really know anything about saving anything but their own image. When I start into spouting figuers about actual gas mileage while speeding through the carpool lane vs. the efficiencies of the new VW TDI....

Wait.... nevermind.

BOT...a few songs I have played in the past really benefitted from hybrid picking, but I never adopted it as a full time tool.

7. amstratnut

I know this is a strat forum, but check out Steve Piticco on You tube. He plays a mean "working man blues" The country rhythms are differnt for sure but I'm convinced I can fit it in somewhere.

I played at a jam with him and he was amazing. I, on the other hand felt like I might as well have been playing with my toes.

I do dig Mark Knopfler more and more. He's a good example of saying more with less.

8. weelie

weelie Strat-Talk Member

I do play hybrid here and there. But mostly eitehr just finger or just a pick.

I'd like to add a pick to one finger, like Burton. Would balance out, which is what bother me with pick + fingers, the fingers don't have the same kinda snap. Nails I could never play with, just feels terrible.

I do play thumbpick too, but electric with thumbpick + fingers is both liberating and limiting, to me. Liberates one fingers, the hand is free. Limits in rhythm playing.

Once I tried playing with thumbpick "deep onto my thumb", so that I could play with thumb or the thumb pick. Well, didn't see the point in the end, so left that experiment.

9. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I do the hybrid thing – pick and finger combo – but what I tend to do a lot is pluck chords rather than strum them – attacking the notes simultaneously like a pianist instead of strumming, which plays the notes in sequence. It also allows me to play cleaner sounding power chords w/ distortion and to get a more open sound.
    Got the technique from EJ (surprise) – here’s where he explains it:
    YouTube - Eric Johnson - TE/04: Pick and Finger Combined

10. amstratnut

Hey Weelie is that you from Dolphin street? Its me Sven.

11. dhb2000usa

dhb2000usa Senior Stratmaster

I started doing this a few years ago kinda by accident. Helps me a lot.

12. Ray-Boy

Ray-Boy Senior Stratmaster

I pick my guitars and (when nobody is looking) pick my nose. Does that make me a hybrid picker?

13. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

I tend to use my middle and ring fingers for some things when I'm playing. I never really worked on it though it's just something that carried over from when I was playing flamenco all the time. I tend to do stuff sorta like the beginning of "White Wedding." by Billy Idol. Alot of people think it's a keyboard hitting those high notes while the guitar player plays that melody, but in reality it's all that guitar player plucking the high notes while he picks the low melody.

Very cool trick, very cool song because of it.

So yeah I guess I hybrid pick but I don't really think about it or work on it or anything, it just seems to happen when it needs to happen.

14. amstratnut

Flamenco cool. I've been trying to work on it cause my right hand knuckles seem pretty stiff. So I have to practice at it to get arpeggios to sound smooth and fast. I don't know what its called when you play arpeggios quickly instead of strumming, but I think that can sound cool in a lead too. I have th sound in my head but can't describe it well. Basically Malikon since you mentioned flamenco, its like its a all one thing.

15. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

flamenco was the best/smartest thing I ever learned on guitar. It taught me freedom, better rhythm, and most importantly,.....flourishes. It taught me to just let go and play my guitar and not think so much about it, it's more about capturing the feeling and the vibe then making sure every note is perfect and in key and everything.

It's helped me more then anything ever did, it freed me from a lot of the prisoner mentality I'd been carrying over from rock/blues/classical.

Flamenco is very metal, lol.

16. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

That's the most brootalest thing I've ever heard. Branden Small, you should be listening to Malikon!

17. amstratnut

Uhuh. just make sure you wash your hands before picking up the guitar again. unless you like the sound of goop.

18. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

I play fingerstyle mostly no pick then straight pick and hybrid moving the pick between thumb middle and thumb ring finger depending on which attack i am using and which fingers i want to be using

19. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

I've been using hybrid picking for many years. although, I never knew it had a name. I've never been able to conquer a thumbpick. so, hybrid picking was the natural step for me to take.

20. StratoBrew

StratoBrew Strat-O-Master

I love hybrid picking. It started to come naturally pretty quickly when I started using it, so now I don't even think about it. That, and I'm a lazy fingerpicker, so I end up hybrid picking on acoustic instead.