Join Strat-Talk Today

Any Jaguar or Jazzmaster players 'round here?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by populationII, Jul 1, 2019.

1. IMuzzy

IMuzzy Strat-Talk Member

Thanks, you are right it’s not strictly a typical JM in that respect although it has a coil tap/split? on the bridge pick-up for single coil sounds - it’s really versatile and the hb’s are a little hotter than your typical Strat humbucker (if I take to band practice as a spare it’s often commandeered by our other guitarist who seems to enjoy it over his lp studio...), I have to say I don’t play it so often but it’s always fun to pick up

davidKOS likes this.
  2. hexnut

hexnut Strat-Talker

Here's rwjqt6pzxurc08djpta3.jpg ftu4fkfvlmspmdkaizox.jpg my two jags, a 60s nitro and a Johnny Marr.

3. IMuzzy

IMuzzy Strat-Talk Member

Really nice, did the blue lined case come with it?

4. hexnut

hexnut Strat-Talker

Yeah that's the case that came with it.

5. IMuzzy

IMuzzy Strat-Talk Member

Sweet, I’m trying to find a case for a new electric xii that I have on order - blue plush looks good! (Might need to reupholster)

6. hexnut

hexnut Strat-Talker

They have a Johnny Marr case for sale on reverb.

7. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Nice guitars there! Curious to hear your thoughts on the neck thickness of the 60's lacquer. I have JM Jags and love the necks. Tempted to get a 60s lacquer but suspect the neck is noticeably slimmer.

8. hexnut

hexnut Strat-Talker

The neck is slightly thicker on the Johnny Marr but it plays just fine. I suspect the neck is like the mid 60s necks. The 60s nitro does have a slimmer neck but it doesn't hurt when playing. You don't notice it till you get to the 12th fret. My favorite is the Johnny Marr. The sound is so much better than the 60s Jaguar.

9. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-O-Master

I have both a Jaguar and Jazzmaster and two Strats. They are all totally different beast and I can say it’s worth having all three if it’s within your means. I play my Jaguar and Jazzmaster more than my Strats to be honest.

- 2017 Fender 60’s Classic Series Jazzmaster Nitro Lacquer, 7.25 Radius, 60’s Jazzmaster Bridge, American Vintage '65 Jazzmaster Pickups, Rosewood Fretboard

My Jazzmaster has a 7.25 radius fretboard neck which I really love. It’s very different in sound to a Strat and it’s honestly it’s own beast and fun to play. My opinion is it sits nicely in the hands and lap more comfortably than my Strats.

- 2016 Fender Classic Player Jaguar HH with StayTrem Bridge, Rosewood Fretboard

My Jaguar is very nice and a tone beast with lots of bite and a do it all kind of guitar. Feels excellent in the hands and sits great in my lap more than my Strats just like and similar to my Jazzmaster.

I love my Strats but my Jazzmaster and Jaguar are my favorites among my Fenders. And not to forget they are sexy and beautiful. Sometimes it hard to explain till you feel, hold and play them. Some will hate and some will love.

In the pic of my music room you’ll see my Fender Jazzmaster in Surf Green and you’ll see my Fender Jaguar in Olympic White.

250CE234-A147-4BD7-9882-C67AF8BF069E.jpeg
    69C3A6C4-899C-4F4C-9989-81D870463F01.jpeg
    BE4AA31F-8D11-4AE9-B337-118D1B1ADE22.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    ibdrkn1 and Lone Woof like this.
  10. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-Talk Member

I find Offset bodies to be significantly more comfortable than Strats (standing up anyway).

I've had a handful of Jags, one Jazzie, & one JagStang . A lot of Jag & Jazz players don't agree, but I've hated all of the vibrato units on all of them & that was the reason they didn't stay with me.

Currently I have one of those 90's MIJ Vista Series Squier Jagmasters. Has the comfort of Jags & Jazzies but has a Strat trem which solves all of my vibrato issues. The stock Humbuckers are decent, but don't capture "The Essence" of either of those guitars. To solve that I'm Putting in a set of Duncan P-Rails with splitters. I'll have single coil sounds, P-90 sounds & Humbuckers on hand. Thinking about a 1 Meg pot & might try a TBX tone to see how that sounds. Otherwise both 1 Meg.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Obviously, there isn't a Vista series Jagmaster pickguard routed for P-Rails on the market so I've made my own. Waiting for my 1 Meg pots to come in, then I'll decide if they'll go in the typical Jazzmaster locations or if I'll move the volume closer to a Strat-like position.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Seymour Duncan likes this.
  11. Lone Woof

Interesting. The 60s has AVRI pickups, right? I've listened to demos and thought it sounded really good. My real interest, though, is in putting two old teisco pickups on it. I think it's be a good guitar for them. Couldn't bear to do that on the Marrguar.

12. hexnut

hexnut Strat-Talker

The 60s nitro jag is supposed to have 65 spec pickups. The Johnny Marr has hand wound pickups by Bare Knuckle wound to 1962 specs.

13. helsinkirocks

helsinkirocks Strat-Talker

I have a Kurt Cobain road worn signature Jaguar and it's amazing. Not the typical Jag set up, but it was my #1 for years!!

26814549_10212725661349640_5900764904178900296_n.jpg

Nubs likes this.
  14. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

15. IMuzzy

IMuzzy Strat-Talk Member

Hexnut, thanks - I have a few cases already inc a jazzmaster case so when it arrives I’m planning to see which might fit the Xii closest and alter to suit, actually looking forward to the challenge although I am expecting to need a bass case to accommodate the hockey stick! (Sorry for the thread diversion).

16. vid1900

The mid-scale gibson bass cases fit nicely

17. IMuzzy

IMuzzy Strat-Talk Member

Vid, good to know - thank you

18. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-Talker

Jazzmaster has THE definitive Fender neck pickup tone. It's an instant ticket for that "Marquee Moon" sound, just like an SG Special is "instant 'Live at Leeds'".

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  19. Lone Woof

Just spotted this on Reverb. It's the first one I've seen.
    Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 6.51.18 AM.png

20. vid1900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.