Any know what will replace the American Original series?

StratAlchemist

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 28, 2010
Traveler
Just call it a Stratocaster. You get sunburst standard. You want a color pick it from a chart as an up charge. You want a humbucker, route it yourself. Keep it simple one model, the Stratocaster, American made Stratocaster or Mexican made Stratocaster.
Oh and don’t force shops to buy X number per year to keep a dealer agreement.

folkplayer

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 11, 2016
Nashville, TN
Just call it a Stratocaster. You get sunburst standard. You want a color pick it from a chart as an up charge. You want a humbucker, route it yourself. Keep it simple one model, the Stratocaster, American made Stratocaster or Mexican made Stratocaster.
Oh and don’t force shops to buy X number per year to keep a dealer agreement.
Honestly, I would make 3 models in the Fender line. The MIM Strat, the Modern Strat, and the Vintage Strat. I think that would basically cover everything people want in the standard line. And then on top of that, we can have the various signature guitars.

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
In all seriousness I imagine Fender will make an announcement at the long-delayed NAMM show in a couple of weeks; it open on June 3.
G&L might have an issue with that.

Definitely; that seems to be G&L's entire marketing campaign.

Speaking of G&L did you seen their price increase they had earlier this month? Fullerton Deluxes (where you can only pick the color/fingerboard wood/pickguard color) are now more expensive than an American Pro II - and they come with a gig bag, and they are using a rosewood substitute they call "Caribbean Rosewood". The alder body models that were $1,399 are now $1,740.

afireinside

Strat-Talker
Mar 2, 2013
Michigan
Yeah im a huge G&L fan. And was watching new USA Comanches. Prices went from $1600ish to 2000. Legacys went from $1400 to 1750 all overnight. Used to get a G&G harshell for much less $. Hell wish id kept my 2020 comanche i paid $1300 new from MF w case...... stupid.

Last month i grabbed a NOS 2019 Standard w/ the carribean RW and gig for $900.
20220406_163412.jpg

Then I jumped on 2 used 2021 legacys this week becuase of new price increases......

A sonic blue pine body, maple board w/ gigbag plastic still on it $1000 shipped. Plays absolutely amazing and nice snappy tone From the pine/maple
20220506_155730.jpg

And a 3tsb custom order real RW board, quartersawn neck and locking tuners w case $920 shipped. Will be here Wensday
Internet_20220515_212347_31.jpeg

RL21980

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 10, 2014
Somewhere in the Ford Galaxy...
Didn't think much of the 60's models. Played a few 50s strat that were decent. The telecasters in that line were where it was at.

Picked up an AO 50's tele when they first rolled out. Best tele I've had. 6.3 lbs ash body. The thing shakes. It's a beast. I went in there to buy strings. Oops. Happy accident.

sale83

Strat-Talker
May 25, 2011
Serbia
Whatever they do, I would like to see some 59-62 strats(or.more authentic 62 series, like they did 56 and 59.

But knowing fender, they will offer some stupid compound radius 7.25-9.5 or something, other way of painting bodies etc...

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
Sorry if this has already been discussed or if it’s yesterday’s news, but I just heard from my rep at Sweetwater that the AO series is discontinued. He alluded to the notion that there would be something to replace them. Does anyone know?
Probably the AV Modified.

It'll be an American made reissue of the current Japanese reissue of the older Japanese reissue of the first American reissues of the Original American guitars.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Not having his signature on it would , hopefully, reduce the price significantly.
Define "significantly"
The Corona signature models are mostly $2k to about $2300... a few are higher, but the American Original is/was $100 more than the Clapton, and $50 more than the Yngwie and SRV models.

PCollen

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2014
Florida
They still are behind inflation.
American Pro is around $1600
In 1978, my Strat was $600
Allowing for inflation, that's currently Les Paul prices. American Pro is a bargain.
...and in 1978, gas was 65 cents a gallon. In 1992 my first Strat Plus was $600.

Last edited:

amstratnut

Peace thru Music.
Dec 1, 2009
My house.
The constantly revamping vintage thing is too hard to follow.

I guess they have to make it seem like they are doing something. Someone in marketing said things must not stay the same. Whatever

Lewbypls

Strat-O-Master
Nov 8, 2018
New York
In all seriousness I imagine Fender will make an announcement at the long-delayed NAMM show in a couple of weeks; it open on June 3.

Definitely; that seems to be G&L's entire marketing campaign.

Speaking of G&L did you seen their price increase they had earlier this month? Fullerton Deluxes (where you can only pick the color/fingerboard wood/pickguard color) are now more expensive than an American Pro II - and they come with a gig bag, and they are using a rosewood substitute they call "Caribbean Rosewood". The alder body models that were $1,399 are now $1,740.
Yeah it's looking rough for G&L's prices are now. The fact they were priced slightly lower than Fender was always a good thing but now that isn't the case anymore. Best thing to do is just buy a g&l on reverb because even dealers will gladly give you a discount on new ones since they don't move as many compared to fenders.