Any love for DVDs?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bazz Jass, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

My brother just ditched his DVD collection. He's streaming now and that's enough for him.

I love me a bit of streaming, but I'm keeping my DVDs.

For one thing, my favourite movies have appeared on a streaming platform, and then a few months later disappeared. So you can't find a permanent streaming replacement for your favourite movies.

For another thing, a lot of my music documentary/concert DVDs simply aren't available to stream anywhere. True, there is some obscure folky stuff in my collection, but DVD is the only option here.

Music on the other hand....EVERYTHING is on Spotify (well most everything). 99% of my CD collection anyway. I'm gradually consigning my CD collection to the attic. Mostly leave my favourite ones on the shelf in my office to remind me what I want to listen to....:D

2. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

Yeah I don’t get it. It’s like considered old fashioned to like DVDs and CD’s now? My 40yr old buddy/engineer always gives me crap about wanting to play a CD rather than some compressed crap off his/my phone or something. Love CDs . And, I keep losing me [email protected]&# :mad: iPods anyway. Hell I thought MiniDiscs were the coolest thing ever (kinda still do)….:oops:

Yeah I’m never going to stream, I want a DVD when I want a DVD.

Chuck8436, Bazz Jass and Archtops like this.
  3. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

I keep mine (DVDs) and even watch them on occasion. Most were bought out of the dollar bin when Blockbuster was going under. But the DVD format frankly stinks, I find Blu-Ray is much more watchable and am anticipating the switch soon to 4k. I do like streaming mainly because most things, even things I really like I only watch occasionally and streaming means I don't have to store the stuff anywhere.

As to CDs vs compressed audio, yes right there with ya. I'll take CDs or even old Vinyl any day over MP3s, although again compressed streaming audio does have it's place. When it comes to music I'll make the storage space available.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I have lots of box sets, mainly old (or very old) TV series, for those rare boring nights when the interwebs disappears up it's own bum...

5. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

Yes. I have a film collection.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  6. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

No, but I do love my CD collection and I use them everyday.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  7. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

The resurgence to vinyl is on the up.
    Nothing like a turntable and good vinyl.
    But, I agree CD every day, over compressed formats.

bbarott likes this.
  8. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

I never developed any taste for any shiny discs. I’ll stick to the black wide ones.

bbarott and Bazz Jass like this.
  9. nosmo

nosmo Strat-Talker

No one wants to believe me, but it won't be long before you won't be able to buy any hard physical music or video media. Everything will go to the cloud.

Remember what happened with Photobucket? It will happen with music and video also. Once everything is entirely streaming it will be pay-per-view and pay-per-listen.

If you want to have your own music/video collection, buy it now. I hit St. Vinnies and Goodwill all the time and get CD's and DVD's for a couple of bucks each. I've got over two hundred movies on DVD and about 1,500 music CD's. We'll just ignore the 100 or so vinyl platters until I get e new turntable. It's getting harder to find a new computer with built-in disc drive, because they want that technology to go away. I tried to find a VCR two years ago and there just aren't any new to purchase. CD/DVD players are even getting hard to find around here. It's not that the tech is bad, it's just that there's no long-term profit in stuff you can reuse/relisten to.

bbarott likes this.
  10. bbarott

Yeah, I do like vinyl even with the turntable rumble and noisy highs. Reminds me of the old days. :thumb: Truthfully it's a bit shocking how good that technology really was. Some of the jazz albums I have from the '50s are incredible, much more than the mass produced stuff from the late '70s. Early on they used really good vinyl and engineered things well.

11. bbarott

VCRs are hard to find at goodwill these days.

12. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

Ditched?
    As in threw away?
    Idiot. (My apologies)

Or did you mean that he's ditched his music CDs.
    Still idiotic.

Bazz Jass likes this.
  13. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

14. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Strat-Talker

Yeah, for movie favorites that I want to keep. The thing about streaming and keeping things in the cloud is that clouds always go away.

Bazz Jass and rolandson like this.
  15. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

People are finally beginning to understand that putting technology ahead of contents was never a real good idea.

Streaming is good because it doesn't generate junk and fights piracy more efficiently than releasing different kinds of media, like they tried to do with Blu-ray and HDDVD.

I don't think vinyl will disappear anytime soon exactly because it's a format that is intended to last long and be kept as a valuable, desirable item, which never really occurred with CDs or DVDs. Deep down, everyone had the feeling that these were sort of 'disposable' medias. Also, I remember that first many people were proud to ditch their vinyl collections in order to make room for CDs (bad idea, IMHO), and then soon enough many of these very people started stuffing HDs with tons of bad quality MP3 files (even worse idea). I myself never did that. I've always liked my vinyl records and radio (which is, grosso modo, pretty much what streaming is).

I think we'll end up with the extremes: you either buy an LP or stream the music via any of the legal services available. The same is happening to books. Soon we'll only have special editions in paper, the rest will be available in Kindles.

This is becoming a relieving trend. I recently came across an ad for old style metal shaving gear that uses safety razors, those old ones, and reminding everyone that using plastic cartridges generates too much trash and you can stash old steel safety razors and donate them to recycling...

I think that's for the best. Less trash, more quality, less piracy.

Bazz Jass likes this.
  16. Bazz Jass

Both - not thrown away. Sold, given to family members charity shops. Nothing is wasted I guess...

17. Bazz Jass

As Joni Mitchell said best (on vinyl): "I really don't know clouds at all."

fretWalkr likes this.
  18. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Senior Stratmaster

I have a large collection of DVDs. Right around 1000. I didn't realize I had so many until it was time to move and I had to put the cases into storage and buy some of those cd storage booklets. I have all the disks with me, but the boxes would've taken up too much space for a temporary move. For the past few years, I've been going to pawn shops and buying them for cheap.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    bbarott likes this.
  19. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Amazon, Google, etc have made it clear that even the content that you purchase digitally from them are still not legally owned by you.

I don't love DVDs and CDs per se, but I do like the idea of physically possessing the things that I buy.