Any love for S-1 switching and Noiseless Pickups?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Colnago1, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Danny D

Danny D Strat-O-Master

New Orleans born, now 40 miles west of Sacramento
    Two Deluxe owner here, a 2001 without S-1 but noiseless pickups (don't remember which generation) and a 2007 with S-1 and noiseless (again, generation unremembered). I'm looking forward to this thread because at this very moment I have a Fender replacement pre-loaded pickup with the newest noiseless pickups without the S-1 switch in my GC cart. I think I'm over the fancy switching system. Have you ever had to replace the S-1 switch? What a pain in the rear it was!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  2. Danny D

Danny D Strat-O-Master

New Orleans born, now 40 miles west of Sacramento
    Thank you for this information. You've refreshed my memory from my previous post.

kaicho8888 and John C like this.
  3. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

I’m ditching the S-1 and noiseless pickups out of two of mine. I don’t use the switches and the noiseless pickups(N3’s) don’t do anything for me.
    I’m putting Fat 50’s into one and Custom Shop ‘69’s in the other. I’ll wire up the harnesses with fancy cloth push back wire and paper in oil caps and all will be well, might as well use shiny new pickguards as well.
    I’ll still have 2 with Noiseless pickups, an Elite with Gen4 and a Deluxe with SCN, both have the S-1 switch as well.
    I’ll keep the original stuff and stuff I in their cases if I ever want to swap back.

Danny D likes this.
  4. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

I have every version except for the latest “ultra”. My faves are the Vintage and the SCN versions.
    Weird that I like the oldest ones, you’d think they would get better and better, not worse over the years. Of course this is my opinion. I’m right though.

Danny D and John C like this.
  5. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Thanks!! To tell you the truth I just couldn't remember; I probably haven't seen one in person since 2014.

The pickups are different - the American Elite has the 4th generation/N4 pickups and the MIM Roadhouse has the 1st generation/Vintage Noiseless pickups. All the components - different pickups, the 6-way active circuit, and all the other little things will make the two guitars sound different. Since guitars are made of wood no two are going to sound exactly the same - even if you're say comparing 2 "identical" Strats (same model, same fingerboard wood, same color).

Not really - pickups are a very personal choice. As you say "Of course this is my opinion. I'm right though." And of course you are right - for you!:):thumb::thumb::D

Eligius1976 and Colnago1 like this.
  6. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

I like both, and I think it's great to have additional pickup combinations. I had a 2013 American Deluxe Strat, and I think it was the most comfortable Strat I had played, though I wasn't keen on all of its additional tones. I wasn't sure about Fender's N3 Noiseless pickups either.. I think there are some other manufacturers that make noiseless pickups I like better. Currently I have a partscaster with a set of Kinman noiseless pickups and their K-9 switching. I think it sounds great and I like their switching options.

Colnago1 likes this.
  7. ratdoc

ratdoc Strat-Talk Member

The S1 on my Hot Rod just adds the bridge to positions 4 and 5 - which I love.

Danny D likes this.
  8. gogaterz

gogaterz Strat-Talk Member

I have a 2005 Deluxe and a Warmouth with the 2005 deluxe electronics. My two favorite guitars of my 24. Plus the V-neck on the 2005 Deluxe is the best neck I've ever played.

Colnago1 likes this.
  9. cbt1956

cbt1956 Strat-Talk Member

I have a few Strats and I have fitted the Freeway ten position 5B5-01 (for SSS) and 5B5-02 (for HSS and HSH) to most of them, as I find this switching easier to navigate than push/push, push/pull and S1. I do have an HH Strat with a Push/Pull giving eight positions. I do have an Elite Strat with Gen 4 Noiseless and a quite complex S1 system, and also an Ultra Strat with Gen 5 Fender Noiseless Pickups and much simpler S1 switching. I didn't really like the first 3 generations of noiseless pickups, but the Elite Gen 4 are usable - and the pickups on the Ultra are great. My favourite (non-noiseless) pickups are the Josefina Campos SSS set on my Custom Shop. I recently modded a Mexican Player Strat, fitting two Gibson P90 pickups, simple 3 way switch and one Vol and one tone control - and this has turned out much better than I thought it would.

Colnago1 likes this.
  10. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

Even though I don’t use the S-1 switch much, I love my Ultra. I mean, look at it:
    295A6875-82FA-46ED-85E8-8C6A5832E374.jpeg

godsmonkey, Henry2 and Colnago1 like this.
  11. Dain Bramage

Dain Bramage Strat-Talker

No. (answering "Any love for noiseless pickups?")

Danny D and Colnago1 like this.
  12. Joe R

Joe R Strat-Talk Member

The Strats I've had with S-1 switching came up short for me. I'm talking about the 10 combinations of in or out of phase pickups. There is another kind that I REALLY do like. It's also called S-1. But it is only adding the bridge pickup to any combination. By pressing the button (On Deluxe Player Strats), or by pulling up the pot control (On many new Fender Strats) you can select all three pickups, or choose the bridge and neck pickup. I especially like that setting because you can make your Strat sound somewhat like your Tele. As for the noiseless pickups, that is another matter entirely. I put noiseless pickups on my Tele, and owned a Deluxe Strat, both with vintage noiseless pickups. I sold the Strat but still have the Tele. They work on the Tele, but on the Strat, it was like all the sounds were muffled. But please bear in mind that our tastes could be very different. I tend to favor the sound of Texas Specials or P90 pickups. You might want a totally different sound. All the best, JR

ratdoc and Colnago1 like this.
  13. Gas4Strats

Gas4Strats Strat-Talker

Only for S-1 switch. It is good for coil-split on replacement pickup.

Colnago1 likes this.
  14. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

My2011 deluxe ash was ok with the s-1.
    I yanked the entire set up and replaced with a set of original 55's from a set I acquired in 81 no regrets.

Colnago1 likes this.
  15. matsont123

matsont123 New Member!

I never had the s-1 but I had an Olympic White '86 MIJ Squire that I bought new on layaway. After about 15 years I could finally afford to have a local shop replace the pickups with a set of vintage noiseless that I purchased at the same shop. They also replace the switch. The wiring diagram that came with the set showed all three pots as being 1M, but the insert said the volume pot was now 500k. I read somewhere that Fender switched to 500k volume pots to reduce problems with too much treble. I had the tech replace the two 1M tone pots w/two RS Guitarworks special taper CTS 500k pots and replace the stock cap with a music cap. The tech also installed a treble bleed with a silver mica 680pf cap and a 1/2W 220k resistor and did the Eric Johnson mod to the bridge pickup. The pickup covers matched the aged body color nicely and so I got some aged knobs and a tremolo tip to match. The guitar looked and sounded great to me and was very full and natural sounding. About two years ago I used it as a trade in for a 2008 MIA Strat. I bought a loaded Clapton pick guard with vintage noiseless pups and mid boost, but might need to have a tech install it for me. I have it setup so that I can swap between the two pick guards and jacks without any soldering.

Colnago1 likes this.
  16. Eric Dahlberg

Eric Dahlberg Strat-Talk Member

The Vintage Noiseless bridge position sounds like Jeff Beck's modern tone (although I think he uses the Hot Noiseless). Unfortunately, the neck and middle positions are dull sounding. Does Fender make a set that has that thicker sounding bridge pickup but with chimy sounding neck and middle positions? The Ultra Noiseless Vintage set seems good.

I've had Kinman, SCN, Dimarzio, Lace, EMG, and Seymour Duncan noiseless pickups. The EMG Maverick Five actually sounds the most like vintage single coils to me but, because it's active, it screws up fuzzes.

The best thing about the S-1 switch is it doesn't get in the way and is easy to ignore.

17. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Pretty color; love the Texas Tea finish! Of course on the American Ultra HSS Strats the S-1 switch is just a coil split for the humbucker.