Any of y’all make WINE?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ThebiggestJerk, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I had to google persimmon.

stormsedge likes this.
  2. Riderock

Riderock Strat-Talk Member

My dad always made wine when I was young . So did many in our town possibly due to and large Italian immigrant population here . Knew many who made it the old way in wooden barrels .

JDug likes this.
  3. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Senior Stratmaster

It’s a very unique taste, sweet but dry. Kind of a dessert wine. Very strong ~22% ABV.

4. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I do not make it...but I have room to store it for you :whistling:.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  5. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

i make this.....
    IMG_20200222_185411467.jpg

6. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I was a professional winemaker for about 15 years. I did home batches for the first three years or so, then it was kinda redundant because I was doing it for a job.

circles likes this.
  7. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Nope. Don't like wine and don't have the patience, (or the time, at this point), for good sour mash, so I just buy it.

8. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I was far enough along to own a 5gal conical fermenter...

My mother gave me a recipe for "dormitory wine" when I moved into one. Basically supermarket grape juice, sugar and bread yeast. It was sticky-sweet. I eventually graduated to making full boogie fruit wines very similar to the OPs.

My best stuff was apple, made from locally grown Winesap apples. I'd run off 5gal every year. Miz Diane's mother's neighbor raised horseradish in their backyard. I gave him wine and he gave me their horseradish sauce (which was awesome).

I haven't made any in years and have given away all my winemaking stuff. My best friend is a home-brewer and Certified Beer Judge, he got all of it. His beer is excellent.

I always wanted to make persimmon wine. A friend (back in the 90's) had many persimmon trees on his property but I never got the chance to go out and get them.

9. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Sounds like fun.

10. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Not wine but made hard cider years ago. It turned out better than expected. My uncle used to make wine. The wife and I went out to Big Bend National Park camping and he gave us 3 bottles so we took them with us. Drank 2 bottles one night and got black out drunk. Poured the other bottle out for our homies!

11. ChrisDowning

ChrisDowning Strat-Talker

Oh man - what are you brewing? Does that look like rhubarb and the second brew of root vegetables?! I know you think you suffer under an oppressive government that looks just plain cruel.

12. Willmunny

Willmunny Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I make it disappear lol

13. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

Same here, oak barrels, wine press.. my dad and my uncles were all wine makers. My uncle Alex's white wine was really potent.

14. MrClint

MrClint Strat-Talker

I just got into wine, cider and mead making recently. Still learning the ropes as it were. After making sourdough bread for years and then into fermented veg, it sort of became a natural progression. As the lock downs picked up, I decided to become more self-reliant. So far, so good.

The first thing I learned was that more alcohol does not make for a better homemade wine or mead. The second thing I learned was patience, no that's a lie, I tend to drink stuff when it is still too young. As a result I look for brews that can be enjoyed young -- and at this point in time rice wine is the winner. Surprisingly easy and wonderful stuff.

15. scampos

scampos Strat-Talker

Rice wine ??? Please, share the recipe...

16. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Senior Stratmaster

Strawberries!!!:confused: This reminds me of this song by Deana Carter...the first taste of love...so bittersweet...puked for days upon weeks!:oops::(

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    tery likes this.
  17. MrClint

MrClint Strat-Talker

There is a youtuber named "PhilBilly Moonshine", he has the correct recipe for rice wine. You will have to look for his rice wine video, it has some questionable "comments" that I would rather not post in a family oriented website. He gets the steps right, that's all I will say about that. LOL

I cook my rice in an instant pot using the rice setting (dead simple). Use 5C rice and 8C water as he describes in the video for a gallon wide mouth container.

One other note, I bought the yeast balls from a person on eBay that makes them in the USA.

You can drink it young and milky, filter it out in secondary fermentation or cold crash it (put it in the fridge) to clear it. This is the rice wine they make in most of Asia, except Japanese Sake and Korean Mokgeolli follow different steps and processes.

Good luck!

18. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

If Jesus can do it, we can too! Turn that water into wine!

:D

Seriously I love wine, pairing it with certain foods, ect.....Now, I'm no Geddy Lee when it comes to collecting ~ seeing as my bottles never last long enough to get dusty here lol......but making my own? Nah. MY dad got into the Brew-yer-own-beer fad in the 90's but it was more a pain in the arse rinsing the green plastic bottles over and over.

19. MrClint

MrClint Strat-Talker

I hear you. You have to be able to make something better, cheaper or different than can be bought over the counter. Some of the non-grape fruit wines, meads and ciders might apply here. The commercial offerings are not that great to my taste.

20. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

We tried prohibition in the US in the 1930s, and it didn't work out so well..

"I never understood a single word he said, but I helped him drink his wine"

MrClint and stormsedge like this.