Any off-road enthusiasts?

muttonbuster

Strat-O-Master
Nov 14, 2020
República de Cantaloupia
Used to spend several weekends a month from Thanksgiving till about March or so camping/off-roading a the CA Offroad Vehicle Monument out in the desert S/W of Coachella.

Mostly bikes, dune buggies, odysseys, quads and 3 wheelers (before they stopped making them).

Those were wild times....

You mean at Glamis? I had a friend in college who had been a nurse in Brawley, so they got all the 3 wheeler rollover victims. He said Thanksgiving the triage was just an absolute horror show.

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
View attachment 521160

I lucked out the summers when I was 15 & 16. My uncle got me a job as a deckhand on a buddy's fishing boat under the radar, so I got one of these used as my first vehicle (same color, just missing the rollbar). Weekends sometimes we'd load up the guns and ammo, head out the Jackalope Highway, and offroad into the boonies past Lancaster to go plinking.

That’s a sweet truck!! Love the graphics too. Sounds like you had a fun time with it.

Numbercruncher

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 28, 2017
Spokane, WA
Grew up riding dirt bikes and it has ALWAYS been my favorite thing to do but arthritis has taken that away from me; and soon damned near everything else. But the memories are sweet. I still do some light street riding and ADV riding but no more single track.

foggydew17.jpg

pend4.jpg

gregroost.jpg

gregwr250.jpg

tc4506.jpg

txc250sideshot.jpg

day2-gregengpass.jpg

day6-gregdr650crystal.jpg

Looking at how many dirt bikes I have owned over the years I can see I spent WAY more money on two wheels than on guitars. But it was worth it. So is rock & roll. I think I just gave myself permission to buy a new guitar for X-Mas or my birthday.

NC

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Jump to 5:20. This guy is likely an on-road enthusiast now as well.

NC

That was nuts!! Glad he’s ok. Not sure about his bike though. Grew up riding pedal bikes, then into dirt bikes. Never really motocross type stuff just because there were no tracks around.

Single track riding way thing but yeah it’s so hard to right these days. Get about and hour in and my wrists feel like they’re going to explode. Definitely some great memories though. I do miss it.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
You mean at Glamis? I had a friend in college who had been a nurse in Brawley, so they got all the 3 wheeler rollover victims. He said Thanksgiving the triage was just an absolute horror show.

Mostly over at Ocotillo Wells, but we'd go out to Glamis on a night with a full moon...place was otherworldly.

Thanksgiving was the opening weekend of the season. We eventually bought a small house across from the park and dropped some containers to hold the vehicles so we didn't have to tow them out each weekend. We'd keep the radio tuned to the ranger frequency, listen to the carnage and then vote on the idiot of the weekend.

One time on a poker run we' met up at one of the points and were hanging for a few minutes and a guy came up and said his friend had crashed and he'd gone out to the highway to call the rangers and couldn't find him in the dark.

We spread out and found him....he was hurtin'. No helmet and clearly at least a few busted ribs. Rangers showed up and said he had two choices: They could bring in a helicopter to bring him out or he could ride out to the highway and meet the ambulance.

He opted for the ride cause he had no insurance for the 5k copter ride. They decided to put him in out truck because it had a marginally softer ride and we took it slow...but it's offoad...so every bump he was screamin'.

We get .5 mile from the highway and his lung punctures and they have to bring on the copter anyway.

Another time a guy came over a hill at night in an Odyssey and caught some righteous air...and stuck it about 5 feet up into the side of a motor home. It was standard safety in numbers. Why that guy parked off in the dark by himself is beyond me.

ThreeChordWonder

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 2, 2020
Cypress TX
This is about as far as I venture "off road" these days, but our 2001 Discovery got us to Aspen and nearly all the way back the winter before last, including country roads from Vail to Colorado Springs in a 70 mph blizzard after a boulder, allegedly the size of a school bus, blocked the interstate.

hgc.jpg

nutball73

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 12, 2013
Southern UK
That’s one of my dreams right there, dirt biking or downhill mountain biking in Spain.

It's cheaper than you think. I've been twice, and the guy I know provides everything - food, accommodation, bikes, riding gear etc. All you have to do is get to Malaga Airport.

www.torotrail.com

(No affiliation). Lyndon is a great guy, you'll have lots of fun. They cater for all skill levels. I was 51 and had never ridden off road when that pic was taken.

muttonbuster

Strat-O-Master
Nov 14, 2020
República de Cantaloupia
Mostly over at Ocotillo Wells, but we'd go out to Glamis on a night with a full moon...place was otherworldly.

Thanksgiving was the opening weekend of the season. We eventually bought a small house across from the park and dropped some containers to hold the vehicles so we didn't have to tow them out each weekend. We'd keep the radio tuned to the ranger frequency, listen to the carnage and then vote on the idiot of the weekend.

One time on a poker run we' met up at one of the points and were hanging for a few minutes and a guy came up and said his friend had crashed and he'd gone out to the highway to call the rangers and couldn't find him in the dark.

We spread out and found him....he was hurtin'. No helmet and clearly at least a few busted ribs. Rangers showed up and said he had two choices: They could bring in a helicopter to bring him out or he could ride out to the highway and meet the ambulance.

He opted for the ride cause he had no insurance for the 5k copter ride. They decided to put him in out truck because it had a marginally softer ride and we took it slow...but it's offoad...so every bump he was screamin'.

We get .5 mile from the highway and his lung punctures and they have to bring on the copter anyway.

Another time a guy came over a hill at night in an Odyssey and caught some righteous air...and stuck it about 5 feet up into the side of a motor home. It was standard safety in numbers. Why that guy parked off in the dark by himself is beyond me.

Oh wow, I know that area a bit. I camped at a place called Mine Wash a couple times that's between Julian and Ocotillo Wells.

Yeah that place just sounds wild, almost like a nutso ski run where the patrol is sitting there thinking any minute now we'll get our serious injury of the day. I would imagine broken ribs were standard fare with those 3 wheel ATCs.

abnormaltoy

Mouth draggin' knuckle breather
Apr 28, 2013
Tucson
View attachment 521160

I lucked out the summers when I was 15 & 16. My uncle got me a job as a deckhand on a buddy's fishing boat under the radar, so I got one of these used as my first vehicle (same color, just missing the rollbar). Weekends sometimes we'd load up the guns and ammo, head out the Jackalope Highway, and offroad into the boonies past Lancaster to go plinking.

The Toyota trucks of that particular generation are, to me, among the most beautiful vehicles to ever rolled down the assembly line. Some guys go sproing over old Mustangs, Camaros or old GTXs...while I would love to have an old GTX or an old Mustang, an original 85 Toyota or ten would do me.

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
It's cheaper than you think. I've been twice, and the guy I know provides everything - food, accommodation, bikes, riding gear etc. All you have to do is get to Malaga Airport.

www.torotrail.com

(No affiliation). Lyndon is a great guy, you'll have lots of fun. They cater for all skill levels. I was 51 and had never ridden off road when that pic was taken.

That’s actually really cool. They do a similar thing in Costa Rica but with downhill bikes. All inclusive and they cook food for you. Definitely something to look into. Thank you

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
I grew up off road, my hippy dad built his shack at the end of an old logging road, a mile into the woods. The road was rough enough that people would get stuck in jeeps--it would high-center a cj5. We generally managed, just from keeping mud tires on the back of dad's 1970 F100. It helps if you know the road. The only times he got stuck it was because of the open diff.

I miss those days.