Join Strat-Talk Today

Any partcaster projects going on?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by thxphotog, Sep 16, 2019.

1. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Did therapy....
    #1 To deal with a wife that wouldn't stop dating....

#2 To deal with my fear of flying whilst gadding about racing...

#3 To deal with wife #3 whom ran off with her rape prevention instructor...

Didn't work....
    Seemed I wasn't taking part in the routines
    And
    The third guy, I just didn't feel like paying....
    And
    Ya know what they say...
    Psychiatry doesn't work if ya don't pay the bill...

2. IronSchef

IronSchef Senior Stratmaster

HUGE partscaster fan - between mine, my buddies, and my nephew's builds I have done about 20 of them.

#21 is currently underweigh -- a Jag-Stang.

Still in the sanding/coloring phase (enhancing the Ash grain w/ dark dye before going w Red...

IMG_2659.jpg IMG_2661.jpg IMG_2662.jpg

CFFF, integra evan, Groovey and 7 others like this.
  3. R-Dizzle

R-Dizzle Strat-Talker

Another MJT project in work. Building a David Gilmour Red EMG tribute. Slapped on some spare parts to get a mock up of what it'll look like, these wont be used in the final project.

[​IMG]

4. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

Wow!

unionjack515 likes this.
  5. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

My point exactly! Get into the build. You can be the next Leo Bender,:oops:

6. SILENCER

SILENCER Strat-Talker

I had an abandoned parts project from 15 years ago.

15!

Hardtail body in black, tortoise pickguard, a set of L280/L290s wound by Bill Lawrence himself with his hand written installation and wiring guide. I bought a Lefty Mexy neck for the flipped headstock thing. Black plastic, chrome hardware.

All the parts sat, then in July 2019 I ordered a new neck from Warmoth. V profile, compound radius, big headstock, 22 tall frets, drilled for schallers, single slab maple. Locking schaller tuners, callaham bridge, high end pots and switches, etc. A custom decal is on the way from Rothko and Frost.

Next weekend, around the 28th I'd gather, I'll pick it up from a great cat who is doing the bone nut, fret leveling, assembly, etc. It's just not my area of expertise to assemble the guitar.

My 97 Voodoo Strat is also there, getting a fresh set up and a first gen set of Duncan Classic stacks installed.

So if anyone is interested, I will have an untouched lefty Mexican neck from 2003 available. NOS. Vintage sized frets. Rosewood fingerboard. Tuners installed as well. I'll let it go chEEp

Groovey likes this.
  7. TinyTree

TinyTree Strat-Talk Member

Glad I'm not the only one. Crash 1 looks fantastic! Always wanted one with that sort of art style on it.

8. unionjack515

unionjack515 Senior Stratmaster

My first go-around finishing anything. The wood used on that neck made the finish work easy.

thxphotog likes this.
  9. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Strat-Talker

Would love to see this when it is completed!

10. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I was building about one a month for quite a while and ended up with some great guitars, using ALL Fender parts but differing pups and controls. Lots of fun, but slowing down considerably as I am getting quite a collection!

thxphotog and garyhoos1 like this.
  11. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Strat-Talk Member

Earlier this year I got the bug to build some parts guitars and accumulated a bunch of parts:

First I put together these two fairly standard Strats. The left one is a GFS paulownia body and Warmoth neck, with Seymour Duncan Antiquity II "Texas Hot" pickups. The right one is a Warmoth alder body and Warmoth wenge neck, with DiMarzio Area pickups.

Then I got a little more experimental. This one is another GFS paulownia body with a Warmoth "Brazilian ebony" neck, which is not really ebony but it is very hard and heavy. The pickups are TV Jones Classics: his version of an old-school Gretsch Filtertron, but these are in a standard humbucker case. The others used regular vintage-style Gotoh Strat trem bridges, but for this one I went with a Wilkinson two-post trem.

Finally, I just finished this one. It's still in the shakedown/set-up phase, but so far I'm pretty happy with it. It's a GFS "XGP" alder body and a Warmoth neck, with Lace Sensor Hot Gold pickups and a Gotoh 12-string bridge. The body was routed for a standard Strat trem bridge, so I had to fashion a wooden block to fill in part of the bridge cavity to mount the hardtail bridge, and drill it for the string-through strings. If you order a 12-string neck from Warmoth with a nut installed, they give you the option of having the thin strings on top (like most 12-strings) or the thick strings on top (like Rickenbackers). For giggles, I went with the thick strings on top, and it certainly seems to get a Rick-ish sound.

CFFF, integra evan, Groovey and 2 others like this.
  12. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

OP, here. A couple pics of the Lincoln Brewster pickgaurd assembly that arrived yesterday. Waiting on the new neck from Fender and my 'cheapie' project that isn't so 'cheapie' anymore will be done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. SILENCER

SILENCER Strat-Talker

Hot off the bench.
    Pick it up on Saturday.
    Hardtail.jpg

14. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

I have one going for about 10 years now....still haven't finished it!

Groovey and Nate D like this.
  15. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

So the first pics of your project were black & white? :)

16. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Not really a partscaster per se but a changing parts project. The switch in my Contemporary HH Stratocaster Active crapped out so I needed to swap it out and while I was in the cavity I decided to change out the volume pot with a Bourns A25k that was modded with a kill switch (Buckethead style) so it still looks clean but is easy to hit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, there is nothing that indicates that the volume pot is modded. Just tap on the top of the knob and it is a kill switch. It's the second one of these that I have...the other is in my Charvel. I may have to get some more of them too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

17. lumatic

lumatic Strat-Talk Member

Hello everbody!

Maybe you guys can help me as you seem to know a lot about partscasters.
    I am thinking about buying a partscaster, as it seems to have all I am looking for:
    https://m.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-a...llparts-fender-crazy-parts/1199629969-74-1666

good PUs and hardware, cool looks, rosewood board. But it costs 770€ without case (850$).

I cant test it - too far away.

Whats your opinion on this?
    Crazy to buy a guitar like this for that much money?

Any help welcome!

18. Believer7713

Here's the deal with partscasters. Normally the whole is not worth the sum of its parts. You can put one together and make the absolute best guitar in the world but if you want to get your money back out of it then you woukd have to strip it back down and sell it as parts. Unless it has provenance like three of the most famous strats in the world...Frankenstrat, SRV's #1 and Gilmour's Black Strat.
    Myself, I think it's a silly rule because I have a couple REALLY nice guitars that I have put together but it is how the market works. I understand it but dont always like it but I digress.
    With that said, if I were to find a guitar that just really did it for me then it wouldn't matter who made it for me to buy it. Also, I wouldn't normally buy a guitar that I couldn't feel first...especially if I couldn't at least get my money back on a later sell. Partscasters are fun for me to build and play because the challenge of making a guitar that will suit my needs for a particular project.
    I hope I'm not raining on your parade brother, but I wouldn't spend that much on it. Like I said, especially sight only seen in pictures.

Groovey likes this.
  19. Believer7713

The great thing about the best partscasters is that most of them are NEVER finished. Once the need for it is met, it can be changed for another one. You can tweak them for a lifetime but still have a viable guitar the entire time.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Groovey, Boognish and Andrew Wasson like this.
  20. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Strat-Talker

I've been looking at those pots for a while. How are they? Any loud pop when you use the kill switch?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.